Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2024, 02:33 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
Breaking a lease reflects on your credit, as well as (if) the next apt. complex wants a reference from the previous complex manager. Breaking a lease can be just as bad as getting a Notice that your lease will not be renewed. We've had neighbors that got that Notice before and had to move out.
BB2: As others have suggested it might be easy to get out of your lease. If the complex is fairly full, or possibly has a waiting list of people wanting to move in, then your complex management might be very flexible at letting you leave early. Our son left his complex in Westminster, CO about halfway through his current lease when his wife got a significant job offer in Portland, OR. She took the job, they gave one months notice and only had to pay one months extra rent to break the lease. Read your lease. Then talk to management and see what you have to do to leave early. If it's doable, then go sooner. Maybe make May or June your move north date, instead of next September. At your stage in life why waste several months being miserable when the next great place to live is so close? Beside, again at this stage in your life, and not looking to buy a new house or car, how important is an impeccable credit rating? As you talk to your future apartment complex management explain how bad a fit Henderson, NV is for you, and you had to do everything possible to get north to make a better life. Go north soon and enjoy your summer. Definitely consider a 55+ complex this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 04:26 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
OP was a bit bored in Loveland, even tho Ft Collins was only 20 min away. So Carson City might be too sleepy. Tho it is my preference because less traffic / commerce / fast paced life.

Older parts of Carson City are quite nice.
Rents should be lower
https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/Carson_City,NV/
https://www.zillow.com/carson-city-nv/rentals/
(screen by Apart, as houses are pretty $$$$) Apartments, not so much)

I'd find a senior housing co-op or subsidized senior community, and live happily ever after.
I don't think people move to Loveland because Ft. Collins is close. They look at it as a way to have access to Boulder's high-paying jobs and Denver's entertainment options.

Ultimately the path of progress bringing the Front Range corridor together seemed to upset him but then he made the ridiculous nonsense move to Las Vegas. If he chooses something on the fringes of Reno he's sure to get upset when they open the next warehouse or even a big box store. He and the wife just probably never going to be happy because they want that shangri-la place where the weather is nice and there is enough city around to keep her working. Problem is every one of those is growing and getting the things most people want, while the few there like him just grumble about why can't things stay the way they were.

Old 03-02-2024, 10:45 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
As I write the Sierras are being pounded by the Mother of All Winter Storms. Up to ten FEET of snow are expected as some elevations in the Sierras this weekend. Wind gusts over 100 MPH have been reported at some locations and 190 MPH at a mountaintop in California. Snow is falling in the Sierras at a rate of 4-6 inches per hours, or one inch every 10-15 minutes. So much snow that some ski resorts are CLOSED due to high winds and whiteout conditions. I expect avalanches. A funnel cloud was seen in California. Over 2-feet of snow so far in South Lake Tahoe, and a lot more to come.

Reno is due 4-6 inches of snow.

Got shovel?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-02-2024, 03:36 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
As I write the Sierras are being pounded by the Mother of All Winter Storms. Up to ten FEET of snow are expected as some elevations in the Sierras this weekend. Wind gusts over 100 MPH have been reported at some locations and 190 MPH at a mountaintop in California. Snow is falling in the Sierras at a rate of 4-6 inches per hours, or one inch every 10-15 minutes. So much snow that some ski resorts are CLOSED due to high winds and whiteout conditions. I expect avalanches. A funnel cloud was seen in California. Over 2-feet of snow so far in South Lake Tahoe, and a lot more to come.

Got shovel?
National Park Service has kicked everyone out of Yosemite National Park because of the blizzard conditions. Wowzer!

Meanwhile, my daughter reports that it's 68 degrees and sunny in Loveland/Fort Collins this afternoon. They've had very little snow this winter (so far).

It's 52 and raining here in the San Diego area.

Old 03-04-2024, 10:40 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
This is another disaster waiting to happen

Old 03-05-2024, 11:37 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I don't think people move to Loveland because Ft. Collins is close. They look at it as a way to have access to Boulder's high-paying jobs and Denver's entertainment options.

Ultimately the path of progress bringing the Front Range corridor together seemed to upset him but then he made the ridiculous nonsense move to Las Vegas. If he chooses something on the fringes of Reno he's sure to get upset when they open the next warehouse or even a big box store. He and the wife just probably never going to be happy because they want that shangri-la place where the weather is nice and there is enough city around to keep her working. Problem is every one of those is growing and getting the things most people want, while the few there like him just grumble about why can't things stay the way they were.
We moved to Henderson, not Las Vegas. What's so funny is, there are those in Henderson that wish Vegas would "just go away" and there were people in Loveland that thought the same way about Denver. Some Loveland residents told us, "Denver, yikes! Too many people, way too much traffic" and on and on. The young folks (Millennials) love Loveland.

My wife works from home and for a company that is in southern Florida. So, don't have to worry about either of us looking for work.

And, don't many, many people look for a Shangri-La to live in? Just talk to an Agent with Mayflower Movers and see how many families they move each year.

A lot of "Old-Timers" want their area to stay the same. For many places that don't happen, but other places pretty much stay untouched.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Got shovel?
Yep, not in the mountains themselves, but next to them is where we are looking. Yes, snow and winter, but we are completely ready for that type of season. Didn't get rid of a thing, including snow/ice scrappers.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
This is another disaster waiting to happen
Nope!! The disaster was moving here, but we didn't have the finances to fly or drive here to find out.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:49 AM

Now, what I'm wondering is........what do people in Carson City/Reno areas think of Henderson/Las Vegas areas and visa-versa? One thing we know, the jobs are most definitely in Henderson/Las Vegas, not in Carson City/Reno areas. And, people here only like it when it's sunny and hot. Some have even said to us "the hotter the better". However, they seem not to even want any rain here.

Old 03-05-2024, 06:09 PM

783 posts, read 836,666 times
TBH Northern Nevadans feel a bit of scorn for Las Vegas (no offense, I’m just telling it like it is). East LA some call it… high crime and rather corrupt in local government. Most of the bad statistics you see on Nevada is because 75% of the population live down there. It’s a whole different world. My husband spent his teens there living on the base and feels lucky to have survived his high school. It was dangerous even decades ago.

Employment is booming in Northern Nevada, California companies are moving here en mass and the tech industry has taken off up here. We get plenty hot here in the summer, but nothing like Vegas. My husband said you spend summer indoors in Vegas and up here it’s winter you stay inside more, so a trade-off. Anyway, he hated Vegas and loves it up here, but to each his own.

On the other hand, I have some in-laws and former co-workers that live or moved to the Vegas area and are very happy there. International travel is easier for family to visit, the weather is more tolerable for those that don’t like cold and snow, lots of venues to eat out and see top talent at concerts, etc. Oh and swimming pools! We don’t have backyard pools here much, not like in Vegas where they can be a staple.

Las Vegans tend to write us off as a bunch of rednecks up here. Some also dislike that the State Capitol is up here even though most of the population live in Clark County. Again, two very different worlds in many ways. It’s cowboy and mining history up here and gambling and glitz history down there. Very different lifestyles, more outdoor adventure and immersion in nature here, more big city glamour there.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 03-05-2024 at 06:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area