Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 06:48 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,559,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Not Rent Caps .. they base how much you can rent an apt for Based on Income. BUT If the tenant cant afford those Rising Utilities they have them look for other housing. I got a $20 raise on my SSA the Auto/Rental Insurance Jumped $10 Cable/Internet Jumped $12 Electric $50!! The Rent $150!! All over a lousy $20 raise!!!
If you will notice I have a comma after section 8 implying rent cap is a separate item. Rent caps are when areas have rent control that limit how much rent can go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2024, 04:43 AM

24 posts, read 14,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Its a complex issue. As a small time “hands on” private Landlord, I always renew my leases well below market for my good tenants. But taxes and insurance, plus repair and maintenance costs have skyrocketed. I can only keep my tenants’ rental fees about 5% below market giving me less than 8% profit because I don’t have mortgages. I have to work for that 8%, its not “passive income.” Just like any other worker, I get money for doing the work of a landlord and having my savings invested in a rental property.

Tenants view raised rents as landlord greed when, in fact, we’d likely do better on other investments that don’t take nearly the time or energy to hold.

The homeless issue is multi-faceted due to high rents that are caused by high taxes, high insurance, high costs of materials, high costs of labor to repair and maintain properties; also mental and physical disabilities, drug addiction, lack of access to services and transportation. This is simply not a “greedy landlord” issue.

OP, as I stated before. If subsidized housing is required, one cannot be picky about location.
Thanks for your reply. Word on the net is that high rents are being caused by buy-up of companies like blackrock and others representing the uber rich elite nwo groups. I don't know. But all you have to do is take a look at any major U.S. city to see MANY American cities having MANY Citizens living in tents to know this is not right. It is a major injustice that needs to be corrected. Whether Trump can do this remains to be seen, but I have serious doubts it can be corrected. America is on a fast downslide into oblivion and the outrageous rents being demanded will only accelerate its downfall. What goes around comes around. If Civil War ensues, which is looking more and more likely all these rich landlords will face a backlash they have not counted on. Sorry but I do not believe a private 'mom and pop' landlords expenses have gone up that much. These types of landlords tend to do their OWN maintenance and repairs, so that is not much of an issue. There is no point in offering subsidized housing in the middle of nowhere requiring extensive travel for anything you want. Sorry but I just don't buy your explaination and yes, I do think a lot of it it greed, but mostly from corporate rental companies and real estate firms.

Old 02-02-2024, 06:22 AM

106,594 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightMan View Post
Thanks for your reply. Word on the net is that high rents are being caused by buy-up of companies like blackrock and others representing the uber rich elite nwo groups. I don't know. But all you have to do is take a look at any major U.S. city to see MANY American cities having MANY Citizens living in tents to know this is not right. It is a major injustice that needs to be corrected. Whether Trump can do this remains to be seen, but I have serious doubts it can be corrected. America is on a fast downslide into oblivion and the outrageous rents being demanded will only accelerate its downfall. What goes around comes around. If Civil War ensues, which is looking more and more likely all these rich landlords will face a backlash they have not counted on. Sorry but I do not believe a private 'mom and pop' landlords expenses have gone up that much. These types of landlords tend to do their OWN maintenance and repairs, so that is not much of an issue. There is no point in offering subsidized housing in the middle of nowhere requiring extensive travel for anything you want. Sorry but I just don't buy your explaination and yes, I do think a lot of it it greed, but mostly from corporate rental companies and real estate firms.
why would you assume landlords are rich ? many are just middle class americans that prefer owning an investment property instead of or along with stock and bonds .

some just subscribe to the theory , never buy anything you can’t pee on .

that doesn’t make them rich or greedy .

they want a market return on their money the same as anyone here wants market wages and market returns on their 401k or ira

Old 02-02-2024, 12:15 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,559,492 times
Quote:
The problem is you are not looking from both sides, just your own to fit your narrative. So you think landlords do their own maintenance and thus expenses are low? You want to believe expenses haven’t gone up and rents are raised to make more money from greed. Jeez how dumb are you. I just spent a few days putting in garage door openers. So my time is for free to benefit an entitled misinformed person like you?

Some places have shelters that the homeless refused to live in. They choose to be in a tent.

People like you will always be at the bottom looking for others to blame to mAke themselves feel better about their effort and lot in life.

Civil war. I just light at your goofy ideas.

I think you should just buy your own house so you don’t have to be victimized by greedy landlords. Problem solved. Oh wait can’t afford it? Maybe figure out a way to earn more money instead of spending time here complaining.

Old 02-02-2024, 12:43 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
I'm the small time landlord but never have vacancies these days because the hedge funds/ REITs charge so much rent.

I'm aware of the ways I can't discriminate, but I do/did avoid renters where there would be an adverserial relationship. The Op would flunk that test.

Old 02-03-2024, 07:58 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Why on earth would you think that Trump would WANT to change this "major injustice"? https://www.trump.com/residential-real-estate-portfolio

(I'm talking about economics here. I'm only using the Trump name because TwilightMan did - I'm not trying to get into a political debate here.)

Old 02-04-2024, 07:34 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
I get what he is saying to a point. I live in Savannah, Chatham County. Between SCAD buying up everything they can get their grubby hands on, STVR, the mom and pop landlords are dwindling. We are left with apartment complexes and every single one of them is owned and managed by corporations. The rents are ridiculous and the rent increases even more so. In GA a landlord can raise the rent however much they desire at lease renewal.

10,000 eviction notices in 2023! My last rent increase was over 20% of rent I was paying, in addition these apt complexes pile on all sorts of "junk Fees".

Old 02-04-2024, 08:38 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Are those "expansive corporate greed apartments" sitting vacant or are they being rented? If they are being rented, even taking into consideration non-payers, while still making money for the owners, what's wrong with that? If those who have not advanced enough in life are forced to move further and further away from where they wish to be, they either have to better themselves to move up the ladder or get use to the sticks. When rents were depressed, I don't remember hearing tenants whining and moaning like the spanked child they do now because the poor landlords isn't making enough. This is what's called life, if you have to have if you don't you don't - Get over it.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
The problem is you are not looking from both sides, just your own to fit your narrative. So you think landlords do their own maintenance and thus expenses are low? You want to believe expenses haven’t gone up and rents are raised to make more money from greed. Jeez how dumb are you. I just spent a few days putting in garage door openers. So my time is for free to benefit an entitled misinformed person like you?

Some places have shelters that the homeless refused to live in. They choose to be in a tent.

People like you will always be at the bottom looking for others to blame to mAke themselves feel better about their effort and lot in life.

Civil war. I just light at your goofy ideas.

I think you should just buy your own house so you don’t have to be victimized by greedy landlords. Problem solved. Oh wait can’t afford it? Maybe figure out a way to earn more money instead of spending time here complaining.
I've rented all my life. Mostly private landlords. They ALL did their own maintenance. Only greedy rental management companies that gouge tenants hire usually totally incompetent and often dishonest maintenance people. This happens mostly with all the big complexes. That is why you uniformly see scathing negative reviews about people who unfortunately rented from them.
These "middle" class privatel landords are often quite well to do with incomes in the 6 figures and up. And they get a lot of that income from overcharging tenants and then they refuse to do the maintenance on the unit. They WANT your rent money, but they don't want to do anything for it.

Re my stupidity, I currently am living in a third world country. I have a large 2 bedroom full furnished duplex unit 300 meters from the ocean. I pay just over $200/month rent including all my utilities and free internet. It is very difficult to evict tenants here and tenants frequently just stop paying rent if the landlord does not fix things, unlike the USA where the courts uniformly decide against tenants who have done nothing except demand their rights.

I want to return to USA, but I realize I don't really have a Country to go back to. No vote, crooked politicians are in the large majority, greedy landlords that charge so much people are forced to live in tents because there is no way they can pay $1000 a month for a crappy studio unit in a huge complex that is mismanaged and where maintenance is routinely neglected and workers enter their apartment without notice. Oh yeah enjoy your $10 big mac (I actually think it might be even higher than that) and $4 for a dozen eggs, hahahaha. Whose stupid? I think the average person still living in a failing Country, that's who. If America survives and we somehow get the vote back out of the hands of CRMINALS you may well see a HUGE backlash against the people running the Country into the ground with their avarice and thirst for power. Look out YOU might be one the backlash will be aimed at.

Last edited by TwilightMan; 02-15-2024 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-15-2024, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Are those "expansive corporate greed apartments" sitting vacant or are they being rented? If they are being rented, even taking into consideration non-payers, while still making money for the owners, what's wrong with that? If those who have not advanced enough in life are forced to move further and further away from where they wish to be, they either have to better themselves to move up the ladder or get use to the sticks. When rents were depressed, I don't remember hearing tenants whining and moaning like the spanked child they do now because the poor landlords isn't making enough. This is what's called life, if you have to have if you don't you don't - Get over it.
A percentage of those corporate apartments are just tax writeoffs for rich pigs who can't get get enough money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting