Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 04:22 AM

24 posts, read 14,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Why on earth would you think that Trump would WANT to change this "major injustice"? https://www.trump.com/residential-real-estate-portfolio

(I'm talking about economics here. I'm only using the Trump name because TwilightMan did - I'm not trying to get into a political debate here.)
Well he has built his rep on being the champion of the common man. But I'm no Trump lover. What he does with his private ventures does not dictate what he does for the Country. If he does get in, I think he will represent the common many an reign in all the greedy business men, developers and greedy "investors". There will be changes especially if he picks someone smarter and more experience than he is, which is also doubtful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 04:26 AM

Default ur right about one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I'm the small time landlord but never have vacancies these days because the hedge funds/ REITs charge so much rent.

I'm aware of the ways I can't discriminate, but I do/did avoid renters where there would be an adverserial relationship. The Op would flunk that test.
By adverserial, if you mean I don't let landlords take advantage of me, you're absolutely right and proud of it too. But I do give credit to landlords who are FAIR and do not try to gouge or neglect their maintenance, who ere not slumlords

Old 02-15-2024, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
When we get information that doesn't support our own views... it must be bad. Is that it?
I bet that pattern shows up in the DSM somewhere.

Sharing an actual structure with others doesn't suit eh?
Maybe that resistance to reality really is what you need to work on.
Ah so you're a phrenologist? Yeah, I don't rent a space like a prison cell with strangers and pay a huge amount of money for the "privilege". I just rob a bank and get it for FREE, plus board.

Don't forget to check those bumps on peoples' heads to find out where they fit into the DSM MrRational.

Old 02-15-2024, 06:58 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightMan View Post
A percentage of those corporate apartments are just tax writeoffs for rich pigs who can't get get enough money.
Show me where vacant rental units are write-offs that corporate landlord's take. Show Me!!!! You said it now backup that statement. We can write off the expense of maintaining the unit as we try and rent it, but compared to the lost revenue, that write off is pittance and cost more in accounting than what we would make as profit if rented. So, get rid of that socio-economic whoa is us poor folk pamphlet and join the real world.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:15 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
OP, why in the world would you want to return to America? You hold such distain for this Country and its inability to provide you a $200 living unit that with access to all the amenities you desire. Better to stay in your current situation.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:36 AM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
OP, why in the world would you want to return to America? You hold such distain for this Country and its inability to provide you a $200 living unit that with access to all the amenities you desire. Better to stay in your current situation.
100% agree. Stay where you are. This whole thread belongs in a different forum anyhow.

Old 02-16-2024, 10:34 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Wait a minute,. you live in a third world country where $200 a month gets you a large furnished apartment near the ocean and includes all of your rent and utilities and internet. So why are you trying to find subsidized housing in the USA? You already have a place where you can afford to live well.

And apparently bitter that you can not get third world prices in expensive American cities and think it is much better to live where no one can be kicked out for never paying the rent and perhaps you are thinking that would be the best way to do things for America, too, and it is only greed that keeps it from being so in America.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:57 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,559,492 times
Why would someone with very limited income want to come to a place they can’t afford and hate most of the way of life here. Better for them and for us that they stay put.

Old 02-23-2024, 11:01 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Reality is, subsidized senior programs pay pretty poorly so there is no incentive for a landlord to participate when there are many other subsidized programs that pays more. Unless a developer is getting some concession or direct funding, it's one big losing proposition (income far below expense) to develop senior housing based only on the tenant's subsidy payments.

As far as price gouging, that is another fact of life. I'm in this to make money, as much money as I can. My partners and I invested millions into buying and renovating buildings and we have every right to expect the maximum return. Equally, I can find myself out millions if it doesn't make a penny. I am not a charity or social services organization. That's why we have government for social services, so those who can't afford, have a safety net. Unfortunately the reality is if you want an affordable senior subsidized place in an "alive" area, you have to accept a place one step away from a slum or wait inline until something finally opens up hopefully before you die. The alternative is move to the sticks where the COL is lower and developers stand a chance of at least breaking even.

Now, if a tent is your future, don't forget to ask for a senior discount when buying.
Though I sympathize, but the OP has a class attitude and a sense of entitlement.
Probably has no idea what is involved in being a LL.

To OP - you could rent a room with others as an alternative to tent: beggars can’t be choosers,
Maybe you shouldn’t be too prejudiced against rural or remote small towns area.

Can’t have champagne on a beer budget cliche

Here is a list of rentals under $1200 and even under $1000

https://www.apartments.com/under-120...n6v0ksHv578k7E

Just read the rest of your posts.
Why not stay where you are? Sounds great! Why are you coming back if you don’t mind me asking?
What is the draw in a “failing” country of high rents and “greedy” landlords?

Last edited by L00k4ward; 02-23-2024 at 11:11 AM..

Old 02-23-2024, 12:55 PM

3,942 posts, read 2,341,086 times
The OP reminds me of a quote by Robert Kiyosaki. IMHO, he's a charlatan but you can learn from anyone. The quote goes, "The poor will always be among us." I will add that there's many factors to go along with that statement and being poor is relative to your situation. As many have stated upthread, you seem like you are already in a good situation so why upset the apple cart by moving to the states? The good ole US, which you seem to abhor, is known for opportunity. That's why the US is on your radar to begin with. With that knowledge, you should know that as nice as Americans can be, you are not given anything. You have to earn it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting