Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:32 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,656,709 times

Advertisements

After living in the more "urbane" areas of LA, Chicago, Seattle, Atlanta a slower cheaper lifestyle is very appealing. After 30 going to nightclubs is no longer attractive. There are more than enough other activities to keep me interested. Plenty of good restaurants, all the shopping we need, good sports in town and even more within an hour or so. Bigtime auto racing both sportscars and NASCAR within an easy drive. Nice scenery very closeby and great country roads for exercising my cars--very hard to find around big cities. Great old homes in nice neighborhoods that sell for much less than in the large cities. Things I don't need are big shows--I go to Vegas for that; symphony/dance-yawn; really fancy restaurants that cost $200 a couple; high taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 11:46 AM

506 posts, read 1,402,344 times
I would prefer cool pubs, fashionable bars, rock clubs & concerts (both stadiums and midsized venues that feature new hot band), proper galleries that displays interesting works of art, diverse restaurants (the restaurants here serve the same food, take Shoemakers – great interior design but they just serve steaks, burgers, Chicken Salad Sandwich…what the heck!!!!)…and the people – people who actually are interested in other things then gossip, church and watching Fox News, and then have BIG opinions about issues while bragging about how they never have been outside central Virginia. (My head is spinning here) Bible thumpers and guys in rebel flag t-shirts……the atmosphere is so, very wrong.

That things come cheap in Lynchburg does not benefit me at all, I make a Lynchburg salary.

I nice modern work place with creative, smart and funny co-workers . A chance to travel, ski trips and restaurant visits from the boss, tickets to major sports events.
But no, I have to live in Lynchburg.
I have a wife and kids so THAT takes up a lot of my time. But I am not a corpse either.
But I have already said these things, right?

Old 01-07-2010, 02:37 PM

39 posts, read 72,031 times
OP: This thread as well as others on the topic of Lynchburg should spell it all out. If you are seeking out a more quiet, peaceful lifestyle, low COL, church, family, and community oriented, then Lynchburg may be the right place.

If you desire more culture and variety of things to engage yourself in, such as the things Mr Jonas mentioned, then RUN as far away as possible from Lynchburg, because it is not here. You may also get annoyed at the limited amounts of shopping available. I've had to travel to Charlottesville or Roanoke to track down certain hard to reach items that could not be found in Lynchburg. In that instance it can get annoying living here as this place can be very remote.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:46 PM

Not many cities of 70,000 outside big cities have many of those things. The Bull Branch is a very cool spot for drinks and meeting interesting people. With good Chinese (several), Thai, Indian, Tapas (Dish), South American, Mexican (tons) and several slow food places such as the Millstone Tea Room, Main Street and Grace your claim of no different foods is just BS. You just don't go to them because you rather wallow in your self-pity.
No there are not big galleries or museums nor are they to be found in many cities of this size. There is the excellent small Meier.

For big music shows you have to drive an hour to Cville which is about how long it takes me to get to downtown Seattle from my suburb. Hardly a journey. The Ellington provides high quality smaller shows in blues, rock and jazz. Ever been? I doubt it.

The Ellington - Welcome!!! (http://www.theellington.org/index.html - broken link)

Skiing--Wintergreen is just an hour away. Plus the new Snoflex at LU which you won't find anywhere else in the US.

Wintergreen Resort - Virginia's Premier Blue Ridge Mountain Vacation Getaway

What Lynchburg has too many of is sorry whiners.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:15 PM

136 posts, read 344,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
Not many cities of 70,000 outside big cities have many of those things. The Bull Branch is a very cool spot for drinks and meeting interesting people. With good Chinese (several), Thai, Indian, Tapas (Dish), South American, Mexican (tons) and several slow food places such as the Millstone Tea Room, Main Street and Grace your claim of no different foods is just BS. You just don't go to them because you rather wallow in your self-pity.
No there are not big galleries or museums nor are they to be found in many cities of this size. There is the excellent small Meier.

For big music shows you have to drive an hour to Cville which is about how long it takes me to get to downtown Seattle from my suburb. Hardly a journey. The Ellington provides high quality smaller shows in blues, rock and jazz. Ever been? I doubt it.

The Ellington - Welcome!!! (http://www.theellington.org/index.html - broken link)

Skiing--Wintergreen is just an hour away. Plus the new Snoflex at LU which you won't find anywhere else in the US.

Wintergreen Resort - Virginia's Premier Blue Ridge Mountain Vacation Getaway

What Lynchburg has too many of is sorry whiners.
Wow! Seattle! You're a long way from home! Why are you defending the burg from the opposite end of the continent?

Chairman of the 'Lynchburg: Fact or Fiction' society?

Wanna trade places?

Old 01-07-2010, 06:54 PM

506 posts, read 1,402,344 times
Quote:
You just don't go to them because you rather wallow in your self-pity.
Do you know how hard it is to drag the average Lynchburg person to eat Tapas???

Old 01-08-2010, 10:04 AM

67 posts, read 282,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post

That things come cheap in Lynchburg does not benefit me at all, I make a Lynchburg salary.
The low Real estate prices ties into the low Lynchburg salaries.
If you are born and raised in Lynchburg and have the proper connections you sure can make good money.

Or if you are an engineer and get a “jail sentence” (like my buddy James), in other words you are sent to work at Areva or Babcock & Wilcox Company.

I know a handful of smart and intelligent professionals who has had to throw away their careers because their significant other had to live in Lynchburg. You are in good company . I know this sounds harsh, but something is very strange when it comes to the job market in Lynchburg.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:07 AM

67 posts, read 282,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
Do you know how hard it is to drag the average Lynchburg person to eat Tapas???
You can get most people to do anything under gun point
There is one problem though, It will also land you in jail !

Old 01-08-2010, 10:29 AM

I come to Lynchburg about 3 weeks a year at present to check on properties and take the cars I keep there out for a spin. I lived ther for a year to check it out for retirement in a couple more years. No doubt good jobs are hard to find there as they are in virtually any city that size. But there are good jobs there if you have the proper training. Medical fields, nuclear engineering and production jobs, college profs, etc. Fact is there are few cities in the uS with 70,000 population that have hot job markets.

The business at Dish is very good so somebody is eating it (tapas). You should read this: even some other people from Washington state found it great--sometimes it takes an outsider....

dish - Lynchburg, VA

And these

http://www.yelp.com/biz/millstone-tea-room-bedford

http://www.yelp.com/biz/grace-restaurant-lynchburg

http://www.yelp.com/biz/main-street-...g-co-lynchburg

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._Virginia.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._Virginia.html

Last edited by badger74; 01-08-2010 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 12:55 PM

18 posts, read 25,987 times
Quote:
I come to Lynchburg about 3 weeks a year at present to check on properties and take the cars I keep there out for a spin. I lived ther for a year to check it out for retirement in a couple more years. No doubt good jobs are hard to find there as they are in virtually any city that size. But there are good jobs there if you have the proper training. Medical fields, nuclear engineering and production jobs, college profs, etc. Fact is there are few cities in the uS with 70,000 population that have hot job markets.

The business at Dish is very good so somebody is eating it (tapas). You should read this: even some other people from Washington state found it great--sometimes it takes an outsider....

dish - Lynchburg, VA

And these

Millstone Tea Room - Bedford, VA

Grace Restaurant - Lynchburg, VA

Main Street Eatery and Catering Co - Lynchburg, VA

Charming, eccentric, uneven - Review of Bull Branch, Lynchburg, VA - TripAdvisor

Robin Alexander, Lynchburg - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor
I would agree with the fact that Lynchburg has a 'self-sustaining' economy. For the size of the town, there are enough decent size and reputable companies that offer some employment for alotta folks. It's kind of strange really, with no interstate and a small airport with limited flights. Looking at some parts of town you wouldn't think that is the case. Could be a lot worse.

It just lacks a lot of diversity, culture, and more entertainment options. You would think that would get beefed up since a lot of these organizations have to import qualified personnel, and what is your selling pitch for getting people to move to Lynchburg, Va? I know because I am one of those imports, for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area