Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:09 PM

125 posts, read 509,501 times

Advertisements

The General Early House is located in the Garland Hill Historic District at 122 Harrison Street (at the corner with 2nd Street) -- Garland Hill Historic District in Lynchburg VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 04:03 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,655,668 times
Nice link--thanks.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:17 PM

9 posts, read 37,184 times
Greetings. About how far in terms of driving distance is Lynchburg from Charlottesville? In traffic? Without traffic? You can see I am a NE person, thinking of traffic. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:33 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Easy and beautiful drive -- since they've upped the speed limit on Route 29 -- 45ish minutes. Just be careful in Amherst County (we've had two tickets through there!)

Old 01-30-2010, 11:03 AM

Hardly ever any traffic on 29 to Cville. Very nice drive. Just slow down when you enter Amherst Couthy. They are often waiting for you.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 PM

895 posts, read 2,095,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoe View Post
One of the main employers is moving their Corp HQ out, wisdom finally bit them in the can. The other has been itching to get out for some time, but temporarily restrained by the costs of doing so.

If you don't have ties in this area i really fail to see why people would WANT to move here, because it is a dead end street!!
B&W moves 40-50 people, BUT keeps 1400 in the Burg. There is no other itching to get out, but it must make you feel good to imagine that there is. That doesn't mean that Charlotte isn't itching to get more of an Areva presence, though. B&W will always have large numbers of employees here because of the regulatory hurdles new locations present.

Since Lynchburg is one of the few cities in Virginia actually with some population growth (not related to annexation), I'd venture to say that you are in the minority. You and your friend Jonas need to start a "Hate Lynchburg Blog" instead of posting your nonsense here. You remind me of a Charlottesville taxi cab driver I met a few years ago. He was telling me that Cville was a much better place than Lynchburg and that it presented much better opportunities. I laughed to myself and thought, this comes from a cabbie. Sometimes, one has to consider the messenger when hearing the message.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 AM

136 posts, read 344,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
B&W moves 40-50 people, BUT keeps 1400 in the Burg. There is no other itching to get out, but it must make you feel good to imagine that there is. That doesn't mean that Charlotte isn't itching to get more of an Areva presence, though. B&W will always have large numbers of employees here because of the regulatory hurdles new locations present.

Since Lynchburg is one of the few cities in Virginia actually with some population growth (not related to annexation), I'd venture to say that you are in the minority. You and your friend Jonas need to start a "Hate Lynchburg Blog" instead of posting your nonsense here. You remind me of a Charlottesville taxi cab driver I met a few years ago. He was telling me that Cville was a much better place than Lynchburg and that it presented much better opportunities. I laughed to myself and thought, this comes from a cabbie. Sometimes, one has to consider the messenger when hearing the message.
Last I checked it was a free country that consisted of free speech and I will say what is on my mind. Don't like it, then when you see my name, you are free to skip over!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:51 AM

506 posts, read 1,401,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
You and your friend Jonas need to start a "Hate Lynchburg Blog" instead of posting your nonsense here.

Before we moved to this area I was very skeptical. I had visited Lynchburg and surrounding counties about 15 (or more) times and had come to the conclusion that it was not my cup of tea….

My wife (who really wanted to move "back home") pointed me to message board, it might have been an earlier version of City-Data or another now defunct site. Anyway everyone on that site sounded like some of you here, being very optimistic and definitely seeing the glass as "half full". I really, really, wish someone had expressed another opinion. That would have been fair.

We all have different opinions about things, heck just get 10 people to decide what restaurant one should go to for lunch can be a problem. The city or town you live in is a much larger issue. Obviously people that live in Lynchburg will like it. It is kind of like going to a Boy Scout meeting asking if they like being Boy Scouts, of course the HUGE majority will say they do - the ones who did not like it have left. Do I have a point here or not?
I can only speak for myself, but the reason as to why I post messages about based upon my feelings and experiences in Lynchburg is that I do think that it can be helpful to SOME folks. Maybe they read my post and think "heck this guy has mental issues" and file me under crackpot message board posters….others might realize that they will find Lynchburg as I have found it.

I am no world traveler but I have visited more countries then one, and lived in more countries then just one. The world is an exciting place with lots to offer. Lynchburg has not offered me a whole lot. If anything I committed career suicide when I moved here (I have done an ok crash landing so to speak) and I do not have access nearly the opportunities most of my friends (who do not live in Lynchburg) have.

Due to my job I travel to my employer's agencies in Roanoke and Charlottesville, especially Roanoke.. I would like to think I have got an OK image of what those cities have to offer.

It might be hard to believe but I am not a grumpy person. However, I do feel that Lynchburg is a "special" place and not in a positive way. (But I do like the Tuscan chicken at the new Robin Alexander restaurant). I know it sounds crazy but I feel that I have been humiliated and ridiculed by moving here. I used to believe that your life is what you make of it and that with the right mindset you would be in charge of your own life. It would be kind of nice to still believe that.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:43 AM

39 posts, read 71,993 times
My two cents.

I am in and out of Lynchburg for work, and try to catch up with these blogs when I can, it's entertaining.

Most people that I run across in Lynchburg that are 'not from here' with little or no ties, depending on where they came from and what they did before, usually fall into the same boat: There is little or nothing for them to adjust to. I mean face it, no matter how much some of you may like it, you have to admit it is a quiet, uneventful, conservative, slow paced, hickish type town, and to a large extent, probably always will be. I know complaining about it doesn't do anyone any good, but I also fail to see why some here dress it up to be something it is not.

Posters like Joe and Jonas were rooted in other areas and are probably bored as hell here.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Also some of us are happy to give up the big city life after nearly 40 years of it in LA, Chicago, Atlanta, and Seattle not to mention Austin. I laugh when people complain of the terrible Ward's Road traffic. I smile when I see my home on Peakland Place and think what it would have cost in a similar part of Seattle. I rarely get panhandeld or see scores of homeless people. I enjoy the small time college sports and really don't need a club scene anymore though I understand why some do.
I can get most services for half the big city prices and the guys appreciate the work. I have had good tenants and miss them when they move on. All were nice people and nobody tried to get me to their church although I know that exists. I love the surrounding countryside's beauty and lack of crowding. I never feel like their is not a good place to go eat when I want to go out and prices are moderate. The servers always welcome us back when we are in town--maybe we tip better than average. I have found I can just call up for some service from Seattle and when they see our address they just say--no worry, we'll just bill you later. I'll never forget going to the old Tom Jones needing some crutches and they just said--bring them back when you are down--no paperwork at all--and no charge.

It's the little things we like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area