Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:07 AM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
And we also know who doesn't read the thread before posting!

But if you are so insightful, maybe you can figure out what my response would be if anyone complained to me about legally parking my car in the street!
Hahahaha... good one, madmax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:11 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Might qnt to check zoning if you suspect its not just a family in a single family zoned area.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:12 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb057 View Post
its not an exaggeration ill gladly post a photo. I did purchase my first home but have lived in several rental homes where other neighbors were courteous of others and parked their vehicles in the driveway...and this was a subdivision that had one car garages only. Its hard to ignore the massive carlot in front of my house.
This sounds pretty simple as I had some guy who lived in a cul-de-sac pull stuff like this. He had 3 cars and a 2 car garage so rather than inconvenience his closest neighbors he'd drive all the way out to park in front of mine which was where I was parking my long work truck every night. As soon as I started parking in front of his house he got the clue and parked his spare car further down the street where it wasn't right in front of someone's house.

Bottom line if he's parking in front of yours park directly in front of his. Many people move from apts or condos where it's a parking war and it takes them a while to get used to being good neighbors in quite neighborhoods.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:20 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,899 times
The only way you're going to get anywhere is if they have too many unrelated people living there. Otherwise, it's just a family with a bunch of cars and they can do with them whatever they please.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:26 AM

905 posts, read 2,959,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc11ty View Post
It's VERY simple. Clean out your garage and park your cars in your garage and in the drive way.

No, it's not very simple. I realize garages are supposed to house cars, but many people do not use them for that purpose. Not everyone has 'junk' in their garage; some residents have chosen to remodel their homes by enclosing their garages. Bottom line, it's your house and you choose to use your garage the way it fits your lifestyle, not your neighbors'....

Also, not everyone has a driveway long enough to fit more than two cars. Several of my neighbors have room in the driveway for only two cars. What would you suggest to the family who has 4 teenagers/young adults still living at home who all have a car? Six cars and only room for 4....where else to park but in the street. I guess you never thought about the hassle involved in parking more than two cars at a residence. Someone will always be in someone else's way. The only person I've ever heard gripe in our neighborhood about people parking in the street - and lots of people do - is the mailman who has to maneuver around the cars to get to the mailboxes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc11ty View Post
When you're the ONLY residents on the entire block that is parking their cars in the street, you're doing it wrong.
That is your opinion! It's NOT illegal to park in the street.

hmmm.... lets try substituting other situations into your sentence...

Quote:
When you're the ONLY residents on the entire block that is xeroscaping their lawn you're doing it wrong.
Would this be your sentiment if your neighbor decided to redo their landscaping and you don't like gravel and cactus or the fact that they cut down a tree that may have shaded your home? Where's your leg to stand on in this case?

Or try it in reverse:

Quote:
When you're the ONLY residents on the entire block that are not parking their cars in the street, you're doing it wrong.
We don't park on the street unless we have to, but soon we will have an additional driver. Probably won't park on the street then, too, but only because it is convenient for us to use our driveway. If it were inconvenient, then one car may be out on the street.

Again, it's their business, not yours. You may not like it, your other neighbors may not like it, and it may not help the asthetics of the neighborhood, but it's not illegal to park on the street. I agree with the other posters - pick your your battles wisely. This one just isn't worth it.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:33 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Someone will always be in someone else's way.
This is oh so true. My parents have a neighbor that has three cars with a driveway that is for one car width only but they park all three cars in a single file in the driveway and they do the shuffling dance every morning. I appreciate their consideration. They would have no choice if it was a single car width driveway and the house is as wide as the lot. There would be no room to park the cars on the side of the house. Mileage definitely varies on every house.

I remember looking at homes back in '06 and we decided not to buy one because it had only room for one car in the driveway and our second car would be subjected to the street where my concern is somebody doing a hit and run on our parked car.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:40 AM

113 posts, read 446,062 times
"Allowing a single family dwelling to be used for multi family dwelling is prohibited" ....per SA code compliance website.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:54 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,024 times
I find it interesting that we have yet to find out the exact number of cars the OP is talking about... 1 car... 3 cars... 5??? Either way it seems like 1 car is 1 too many for the OP...

Old 01-05-2010, 09:02 AM

237 posts, read 600,971 times
I don't get wanting to start dealing with the issue by calling the law.

There are a few cars on the street in our cul-de-sac, but I only see/think about it when I'm coming and going. When I'm home I'm busy living my life inside my house.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 AM

299 posts, read 607,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
I find it interesting that we have yet to find out the exact number of cars the OP is talking about... 1 car... 3 cars... 5??? Either way it seems like 1 car is 1 too many for the OP...
I read the thread, it's 5.

1 car would be too many if they managed to not park it in their garage OR driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio