Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,398 times

Advertisements

I'm just shocked this thread has gotten to 5 pages already......I guess no one is working today (including me)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 11:54 AM

546 posts, read 1,499,671 times
I will post a picture this evening of the massive car lot that lives in front of my home. I would have taken one earlier but only 3 of the 5 cars are present.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:57 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,984,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
I'm just shocked this thread has gotten to 5 pages already......I guess no one is working today (including me)
This is my job!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:01 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
This is my job!
Need an assistant?

Old 01-05-2010, 01:07 PM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
This is my job!
This (forum) IS addicting!!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:08 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
When they talk about single family houses it has to do with HOW MANY are living in the house, not if they all are related of not... I had to look it once in Houston and until then I thought the same thing... But it has to do with how many people live there per square foot... And it even broke it down to adults and children.
I've seen it written both ways; however most often describing how many unrelated people can live in a single family home. This sort of ordinance is usually written to keep tons of college students from piling into rental houses near campus and to keep the same sort of thing from happening with day laborers.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:21 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,063,650 times
Default Be thankfull.

If your biggest gripe is too many cars parked on the street you live on, you are doing much better than most people in the world. You should be thankful you have a home with running water and electricity .

Old 01-05-2010, 02:04 PM

152 posts, read 517,669 times
mrsb057, I know exactly how you feel! I live on a small cul-de-sac of 10 houses. The house to one side has between 6 and 10 cars parked in front of it, depending on the time of day. The house to the other side has between 5 and 7, one of them being a boat. There are many times when I have almost no room to back out of my driveway. There have been many times when we've walked out in the morning and there are cars parked next to cars against the curbs! I have even offered to let them park a car in my driveway since we only have one car. My biggest complaint is when my kids' buses can't get to the driveway to pick them up (they ride special needs buses but don't use wheelchairs). Imagine turning onto the cul-de-sac and there's a pickup sitting in the middle of the street because other vehicles have left but the truck owner is still in bed. The police came out for that and talked to the parent of the truck owner but it still happens. That was the only time we've gotten a response. Our bus drivers have notified their dispatchers but I don't know if they've contacted SAPD. I always say that if NISD needs a place for their drivers to practice for bus rodeo, send them to my street. It wouldn't be a bad place to practice monster truck crushing moves!

Old 01-05-2010, 03:40 PM

113 posts, read 446,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
If your biggest gripe is too many cars parked on the street you live on, you are doing much better than most people in the world. You should be thankful you have a home with running water and electricity .
Oh brother!! I'm sure OP is "thankful" enough. The issue is multiple cars in a (I'm guessing here) previously uncluttered street. It is not silly to think we should expect a certain amount of "neighborhood decorum"...so to speak. Some folks have no problem staying within their walls and to heck with the neighborhood as long as it they don't knock on their door. then there are those who will watch quietly, say nothing as it slowly begins to deteriorate.

OP, I'm with you in your concerns. I had the same issue not long ago and reported it to code compliance, along with other neighbors. Their investigation found the 2 bedroom duplex had 7 to 9 men some related, some not, day laborers living there. All of us neighbors were complaining with the cars parking up and down the street especially when weekends came and their friends were coming and going all hours of the night. And I live near downtown, not an especially "nice" area, but our little pocket of streets tries hard to keep it from going further downhill, and every little bit sure helps.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:58 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,732,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
This is a hilarious debate, but it's awfully interesting to see the responses.

The fact is that public streets are just that: public. They don't belong to anyone, and people can park cars there unless specifically prohibited by law.

Actually, on-street (parallel) parking makes for safer, pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods, as cars serve as a physical buffer between pedestrians on the sidewalk and moving traffic in the street.

And to address this post: drive through Alamo Heights, Monte Vista, or King William, and tell me if you think cars on the street make a neighborhood 'less than classy'.
Alamo Heights does not allow overnight parking of vehicles on almost all of their residential streets. Neither does Terrell Hills. Not sure about Olmos Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio