Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 11:05 PM

7,763 posts, read 4,049,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh, so it's because they aren't fat, lazy, pathetic, jaded and entitled.
Is that how you view American workers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 08:50 AM

1,095 posts, read 823,565 times
Trying to get this thread back on topic

If OP wants to be closer to family in the Bay Area, good schools, still somewhat affordable, then a good option would be Mountain House. Schools rated 8-9. Housing prices aren't cheap at near $1M, though there are a few more affordable smaller/compact options in the $700k range.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:22 AM

4,345 posts, read 6,320,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post

If OP wants to be closer to family in the Bay Area, good schools, still somewhat affordable, then a good option would be Mountain House. Schools rated 8-9. Housing prices aren't cheap at near $1M, though there are a few more affordable smaller/compact options in the $700k range.
Maybe so, but what is there to do there? It's really just tract housing in the middle of nowhere. I don't believe there are any amenities there as you need to drive several miles to either Tracy or Livermore. Also, given that it's in San Joaquin County, this isn't technically in the Bay Area.

Old 05-06-2024, 11:08 AM

102,310 posts, read 108,476,230 times
Quote:

Here's something a little cheaper there, almost within the OP's price range, but it looks like it's part of a duplex. It's a little weird that 3 br. homes out there in the middle of nowhere are priced at just under $1 mill. I wouldn't call those tract homes, either; some look like older homes built prior to the tract development.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Mountain-H...home/186242949

Old 05-06-2024, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Maybe so, but what is there to do there? It's really just tract housing in the middle of nowhere. I don't believe there are any amenities there as you need to drive several miles to either Tracy or Livermore. Also, given that it's in San Joaquin County, this isn't technically in the Bay Area.
I know it's not in the Bay Area, was just trying to find something closer to family. As for stuff to do, that's not what OP asked for, which was affordability and good schools. Mountain House is a planned community, and that's the feel. There are parks, waking/biking paths, a few stores and restaurants, but not much else. For many people, especially families with kids, this is adequate. For sure lots of trips into Tracy. It's likely OP would pay more for housing in Mountain Home for fewer amenities compared to their current location near Fresno. I'm just put options out there, only OP can decide if being closer to family is worth the trade-off.

Old 05-06-2024, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Here's something a little cheaper there, almost within the OP's price range, but it looks like it's part of a duplex. It's a little weird that 3 br. homes out there in the middle of nowhere are priced at just under $1 mill. I wouldn't call those tract homes, either; some look like older homes built prior to the tract development.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Mountain-H...home/186242949
Good schools and low crime within commuting distance to the Bay Area. It's a brutal commute, but the ACE train from Tracy is an option, and going in 2x/week for hybrid work wouldn't be terrible.

Old 05-06-2024, 12:45 PM

4,345 posts, read 6,320,301 times
Quote:
I know it's not in the Bay Area, was just trying to find something closer to family. As for stuff to do, that's not what OP asked for, which was affordability and good schools. Mountain House is a planned community, and that's the feel. There are parks, waking/biking paths, a few stores and restaurants, but not much else. For many people, especially families with kids, this is adequate. For sure lots of trips into Tracy. It's likely OP would pay more for housing in Mountain Home for fewer amenities compared to their current location near Fresno. I'm just put options out there, only OP can decide if being closer to family is worth the trade-off.
Good point. I guess for me, I wouldn't necessarily see the value proposition of moving there. It's still a massive commute, much more expensive and nothing to do in the immediate area.

Old 05-06-2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
There are some good recreational areas in the vicinity for kids, too; lakes, parks, etc. Summer or weekend recreation stuff.

Old 05-06-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Good point. I guess for me, I wouldn't necessarily see the value proposition of moving there. It's still a massive commute, much more expensive and nothing to do in the immediate area.
The value proposition is the community: the schools, safe neighborhood, the people. Finding the combination of these in the Bay Area is much more expensive. The kids do sports on the weekend at one of the many athletic facilities. Most kids walk/bike to school, so school friends are also neighborhood friends. With safe streets kids roam freely between parks and each other's homes. BBQ with the neighbors. Farmers Market. Local library. And as Ruth4Truth points out, there are activities to do in the area, depending on what one is into. I can see the allure even though it's not my thing.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:49 PM

Quote:
The value proposition is the community: the schools, safe neighborhood, the people. Finding the combination of these in the Bay Area is much more expensive. The kids do sports on the weekend at one of the many athletic facilities. Most kids walk/bike to school, so school friends are also neighborhood friends. With safe streets kids roam freely between parks and each other's homes. BBQ with the neighbors. Farmers Market. Local library. And as Ruth4Truth points out, there are activities to do in the area, depending on what one is into. I can see the allure even though it's not my thing.
It does sound pretty good, as long as the kids in the neighborhood and schools are easy to get along with. I was wrong about that listing I linked; it's not a duplex, it's a SFH, but still might be outside the OP's range. I still don't understand why the RE all the way out there is so expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland