Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 06:21 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
A previously approved project located at 215 West Broughton Street recently had some design alterations approved.
THE ARGENTINIS BUILDING
The Argentinis Building-Savannah by brandon walker, on Flickr
This 6-story mixed-use building is being proposed for a site in Downtown Savannah located at 215 W Broughton Street
Wondered what was up with this project. The lot was cleared several months ago and prepped for construction but then nothing happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 06:09 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,162,191 times
I was wondering the same thing too. I had totally forgotten about that project. I'm glad to see it is still alive.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:47 PM

Update on the new Westside Arena
Quote:
It’s full steam ahead for construction on the new multi million dollar arena project. Parts of Savannah’s Westside, the Carver Village Community, will soon be transformed.

City leaders have hired a consultant who will help them manage the project. People along West Gwinnett Street and Stiles Avenue will soon see that roadway close while crews work to raise Gwinnett Street to help with flooding issues.
Savannah’s Westside will soon see transformation with new arena | WSAV-TV

Old 02-27-2018, 05:12 PM

The Starland Village project passed its first hurdle....
Starland Village-Savannah by brandon walker, on Flickr

Quote:
Developers of what would be called Starland Village in Savannah’s Thomas Square neighborhood made their case and got the approval of the Metropolitan Planning Commission.

This isn't the first time this came up for a vote in the MPC. It also did last week and was continued after a deadlock vote - 4 to 4. That was largely due to a proposal to create a whole new zoning district just to accommodate the developer of Starland Village. That new zoning district would’ve been called a Traditional Commercial-Mixed Use Development, or TC-3, and could’ve been applied in at least nine other areas of Savannah. MPC staff instead suggested working within current zoning guidelines and adding text amendments. That’s exactly what the developer, the Foram Group, did - but it seemed to fall short of changes those living in the surrounding neighborhood wanted to see.

“All the applicant has done is put lipstick on a pig. That is, that they have just shoved what they were going to put in the TC-3 zone into the CIV, and trying to extend it out into the adjacent and related properties," said Julia Sullivan, who spoke on behalf of some residents.

All told, the development encompasses five parcels and the developer is proposing putting in a city lift, semi-automated garage to the rear of the old Epworth Church - a first of its kind in the city.
$40 million Savannah Starland District project passes first hurd - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Last edited by Airforceguy; 02-27-2018 at 06:10 PM..

Old 02-28-2018, 03:42 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Brilliant! This should be the model for all future in-fill redevelopment projects!

Old 02-28-2018, 04:42 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Brilliant! This should be the model for all future in-fill redevelopment projects!
Agreed. Fabulous!

Old 02-28-2018, 06:36 PM

450 posts, read 461,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Agreed. Fabulous!
Agreed, great job!

Old 03-01-2018, 03:25 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I noticed they said they haven't found a specific site within that area, but they have a general idea of the spot. Yet they expect to be finished with this huge project in only 3 years? Including raising Gwinnett Street? Wow, how ambitious. I'll believe it when I see it!

Old 03-01-2018, 04:30 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,606,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I noticed they said they haven't found a specific site within that area, but they have a general idea of the spot. Yet they expect to be finished with this huge project in only 3 years? Including raising Gwinnett Street? Wow, how ambitious. I'll believe it when I see it!
They will never make, don't they have to get an environmental impact study done? The average for those is around 3 years, & this is a large commercial project so it will get scrutinized due to the rain water runoff & soil.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:02 AM

149 posts, read 163,049 times
Are there any plans to redevelop the Levy Jewelers building on Broughton St? It’s really ugly and detracts from an otherwise beautiful street?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area