Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 11:01 PM

643 posts, read 845,828 times

Advertisements

That corridor has some potential. I drive down that area 1-2 times a week. Always makes me wish I had some money to invest in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 03:52 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,163,638 times
Glad to see this project making progress. Savannah has needed a new arena for a long time. I just wish the new one was 15,000 seats instead of 9,000.

Quote:
Mixed-use buildings, a parking garage and hotel are now being considered for the area between the arena and the historic water works building on the site’s south end.

The potential sale of some of the site to private developers could provide needed funding for other projects on the site such as the renovation of the water works building, Shonka said. In 2016, that project was estimated to cost $8.4 million.

The site is also being considered as a possible location for a municipal complex the city manager wants to build, although Shonka said other locations are also being considered and no decision has been made.

Another advantage of moving the arena farther north is that the design will not have to embrace architecture of the historic, brick water works building, Shonka said.
Savannah seeking designer for new arena - News - Savannah Morning News - Savannah, GA

Old 04-20-2018, 01:16 PM

18 posts, read 16,049 times
I wish there would be some more updates on the park and canal and trails. That part is more exciting than the arena in my opinion. Also does anyone know how they plan to deal with that Chatham Steel rail running right through the middle of the park? Is that active?

Old 04-20-2018, 05:39 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlter2 View Post
I wish there would be some more updates on the park and canal and trails. That part is more exciting than the arena in my opinion. Also does anyone know how they plan to deal with that Chatham Steel rail running right through the middle of the park? Is that active?
No idea, there isn't much development money involved for those projects. The more I see of the arena the more I am against it.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:29 AM

18 posts, read 16,049 times
Im not entirely against the arena. The arena would be nice to have, especially if they can restore part of the grid where the civic center is now. But I do think if you are going to go through the trouble of building a new arena, make it bigger than 9k seats. At that size it’s not worth it in my opinion.

It does make sense that they are focusing on the arena first, because i think it’s the only thing that has funding in the new canal district.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:28 PM

The Foram Group is hoping to break ground on Starland Village by the end of the summer...
Quote:
The process started over two years ago for the Foram Group. Stringer says their eyes have been glued to the community. And Thomas Square Neighborhood Association President, Clinton Edminster, agrees.

"They have set a new bar with what we are expecting when we work with developers in the neighborhood," Edminster said. "If you want to develop something in the neighborhood, we welcome that idea. We welcome that energy, but you are going to have to work with us, and you are going to have to be open and communicative."

They are looking to break ground at the end of summer and be open for business next year. The group said they aren't exactly sure how many jobs the project will bring.
Starland Village project continues to push forward - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Old 04-27-2018, 12:16 PM

Gunn Meyerhoff Shay has unveiled new renderings of the 703 Louisville mixed-use development. I must say I really like these renderings and I'm looking forward to hearing an update on this project.

703 Louisville-Savannah by brandon walker, on Flickr

Old 04-27-2018, 03:14 PM

450 posts, read 461,865 times
It will be awesome if they do it like the drawings. I just don't know if they money is there for that sized project. The other issue that these developments continue to force, is the city selling or redeveloping the yamacraw village area. They could get enough to build twice the amount of homes if they sell it to a developer. It would allow the canal to be developed all the way through to the arena and the 703 project above. They could allow artists to paint the underside of the Interstate areas where it crosses and tie together a walking/biking path from Gwinnett to River Street.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
It will be awesome if they do it like the drawings. I just don't know if they money is there for that sized project. The other issue that these developments continue to force, is the city selling or redeveloping the yamacraw village area. They could get enough to build twice the amount of homes if they sell it to a developer. It would allow the canal to be developed all the way through to the arena and the 703 project above. They could allow artists to paint the underside of the Interstate areas where it crosses and tie together a walking/biking path from Gwinnett to River Street.
I agree, if this project turns out like the renderings it will be an amazing project. As for the future of Yamacraw Village, the writing is on the wall for that place. Even though the housing authority won't admit it now, they will have no choice but to sell that land for private development. The area around there has so much potential and a lot of projects are in the pipeline right now for that area.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:19 PM

The city is planning to expand the Savannah Gardens project by adding 80-100 multifamily units and 20 single-family homes...
Quote:
The demand for such housing opportunities is far from being met, however. The 449 apartments constructed on the site have about a 98 percent occupancy rate with a waiting list of about 300, according to city officials.

To turn more of those applicants into residents of the community, Mercy Housing is proposing to add between 80 and 100 new rental dwellings and about 20 new single-family homes by the end of 2021. The homes and rentals would be built on the final 12 acres of undeveloped property remaining after the demolition of the 1940s-era Strathmore Estates apartments cleared the way for the 44-acre development.

Savannah Alderman John Hall, who represents the district, praised the planned completion of the mixed-income community, which he said has brought the area back to life by replacing deteriorated structures with quality housing.
City, partners plan completion of mixed-income community on Savannah's eastside - News - Savannah Morning News - Savannah, GA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area