Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 04:00 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,163,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The petition by Godley Station West LLC seeks to rezone 15 acres spread across four parcels on the west side of LaRoche Avenue between Caroline’s Retreat and Nottingham Drive to Multifamily Residential Five Units per Acre / Environmental Overlay classification.

According the report prepared by MPC staff, the development plan includes the construction of 57 single family, semi-attached residential townhomes.

More than a dozen residents have submitted letters to the MPC urging them to deny the request. The letters state that the multi-family zoning would negatively impact the quality of life along with property values, density and traffic.
MPC considers LaRoche Ave. rezoning request - Business - Savannah Morning News - Savannah, GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 06:12 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
What is it with all these NIMBYs in Savannah? They must think they're living in a bubble in time.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:44 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Is there a problem in keeping zoning regulations in place? So, one buys in with one deck of cards. Dealer wants to change the deck. Hmmmm not a problem?

Old 04-02-2018, 07:09 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Is there a problem in keeping zoning regulations in place? So, one buys in with one deck of cards. Dealer wants to change the deck. Hmmmm not a problem?
Within reason, of course. I'm sure everyone can agree a more thorough study should be done to determine the real economic impact of this development. I can state my opinion all day long, but the important thing here is what will contribute to the community at hand.

I am a huge promoter/supporter of higher density developments, particularly within the city limits. My bias does tend to get in the way at times, however, if it can be supported, why not? In town should naturally be a denser place. It is not near any historic districts that I'm aware of. Despite that, proper care should be maintained so as not to overburden the infrastructure, and if so, plans should be made to correct that issue and so on.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:49 AM

474 posts, read 587,815 times
Quote:
Well, I mean the code was written in 1977, with some minor changes in 1993. There is a new zoning ordinance in the works, but I think we can all agree Savannah is far different than it was in 1977. To Wandering's point, density was the opposite of what we wanted in the late 70s.

The planning profession has been pushing towards density for the last 20 years or so. So, it's not surprising staff would support this measure.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:39 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,163,638 times
The Food Truck Court was approved...
Savannah City Council approves food truck court location

Old 04-13-2018, 06:53 AM

^^^^^ "A fire pit, picnic tables, seating and bathrooms. At that location at night. Hmmmm, I'll see if I can find someone that's interested in becoming a statistic.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:46 PM

257 posts, read 470,077 times
Quote:
^^^^^ "A fire pit, picnic tables, seating and bathrooms. At that location at night. Hmmmm, I'll see if I can find someone that's interested in becoming a statistic.

Haha my thoughts exactly. I won’t be going there.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:15 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
Haha my thoughts exactly. I won’t be going there.
OK ... I just looked this up on a map. Who the hell chose that location? An ugly dirt lot, some overgrown weeds and a couple of scraggly trees ... occupied on one corner by an sad little cinder block church with fading paint, a otting roof and rusty burglar bars over all the doors and windows. Across 48th Street directly to the south is the concrete backside of a Family Dollar store. Across "Orchard" Street directly to the north (and in plain view of the food trucks) is what appears to be a scrap metal yard ... adjacent to the Salvation Army Thrift Store. Across MLK to the west are several boarded up and abandoned houses and, on of which houses Beauty Bar Boutique (according to Google Maps)

Granted, SCAD's Gulfstream Design Center is a block away and Montgomery Hall and the Barnard Village residential community are just a couple blocks further --- and on the other side of the tracks, literally. But unless those food trucks are parked out there at lunchtime during the 30 weeks of the year SCAD is in session ... a lot of good that will do. This is in CANN PARK ... Getting white folks who aren't looking to score large quantities of cocaine to drive down there after dark will be near impossible, fire pit or not.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:07 AM

Probably an investor that bought the lot and couldn't come up with a better idea. I don't know who it might be but I can think of one or two guys that would do something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area