Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:23 AM

8 posts, read 27,255 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with him about Savannah. I have lived here for 41 years and unfortunately have had many of the same type of experiences. Public school integration in the 70s did not go well. I didn't go looking for trouble but I have to say the degree of racism caused a lot of fear and problems, and it's mostly black racism against whites. Maybe you don't WANT racism, no one does, but the fact is that it does exist here in Savannah.

Last year I was attacked by two black men while I and my 73 year old mother were unloading groceries from the car parked in my own driveway. This was in a gated community...the guys sat outside and waited for a resident to enter and then tailgated in. They rolled up alongside me, supposedly to ask for directions, and when I proceeded to try to tell them, I guess I wasn't quick enough, got called some real nasty names, and when I tried to walk off, I got chased. This story is just my most recent issue.

I have been robbed and assaulted four times in the last 10 years. This doesn't even address the problems I had in the public school system when I was threatened with battery acid being thrown in my face when I won a pageant and was resented by another girl who thought she should have won.

The reason I stay is that my elderly mother is here, won't move, and I won't leave her. I just try to be safe, live a rather restricted schedule, (no dog walking past dark, no last minute grocery shopping past dark, and I don't go anywhere any more by myself). Of course, nothing tops being accosted in your own front yard while minding your own business!!!

Old 04-11-2009, 01:08 PM

214 posts, read 899,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam'smom View Post
I have to agree with him about Savannah. I have lived here for 41 years and unfortunately have had many of the same type of experiences. Public school integration in the 70s did not go well. I didn't go looking for trouble but I have to say the degree of racism caused a lot of fear and problems, and it's mostly black racism against whites. Maybe you don't WANT racism, no one does, but the fact is that it does exist here in Savannah.

Last year I was attacked by two black men while I and my 73 year old mother were unloading groceries from the car parked in my own driveway. This was in a gated community...the guys sat outside and waited for a resident to enter and then tailgated in. They rolled up alongside me, supposedly to ask for directions, and when I proceeded to try to tell them, I guess I wasn't quick enough, got called some real nasty names, and when I tried to walk off, I got chased. This story is just my most recent issue.

I have been robbed and assaulted four times in the last 10 years. This doesn't even address the problems I had in the public school system when I was threatened with battery acid being thrown in my face when I won a pageant and was resented by another girl who thought she should have won.

The reason I stay is that my elderly mother is here, won't move, and I won't leave her. I just try to be safe, live a rather restricted schedule, (no dog walking past dark, no last minute grocery shopping past dark, and I don't go anywhere any more by myself). Of course, nothing tops being accosted in your own front yard while minding your own business!!!
What neighborhood do you live in?

I've got to say, what you explained is not the norm in the Savannah area. The crime statistics on the map page validate that too. What you described is an isolated case. The gated neighborhoods and the island communities hardly ever see what you are talking about.

Like Padgett has said, she has lived here for decades and her family has lived here for over 100 years and not once has anyone been a victim of crime.

It can happen to anyone but Savannah is like any other city, if you use wisdom and go to the right areas you are perfectly safe.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:37 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant08 View Post
Its ok I wrote the mayor to your city a very..uh short and sweet letter...
I doubt the mayor could have helped you. Homelessness and crime extend far beyond his jurisdiction. Plenty has already been written about how this town can be dangerous, though it's not always so. Essentially, you'd been warned to keep your wits about you. That doesn't mean it's your fault, but it's also not the fault of the City in general.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:33 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,482,784 times
Savannah will always be "home" for me. Btw, the Rib Hut rules.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Savannah will always be "home" for me. Btw, the Rib Hut rules.

I agree, home sweet home

What makes Savannah any different from any city anyway?

Every city has it's share of crime and racism.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:13 AM

7 posts, read 31,525 times
Well I for one agree with AdamsMom. Apparently FFG3 hasnt been watching the news this year, ayhu... 2009. I live in the good islands area and yea I pack some heat every where I go.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:59 AM

737 posts, read 2,458,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle88 View Post
I agree, home sweet home

What makes Savannah any different from any city anyway?

Every city has it's share of crime and racism.

The grass is always greener...?

Old 04-13-2009, 06:03 AM

737 posts, read 2,458,958 times
"I live in the good islands area...

and yea I pack some heat every where I go."

So do a buncha us.

Duuude...You been watching waaay tooo much Retro-Tv.
Packing heat?
ROFLMAO

Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 AM

214 posts, read 899,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServHoth View Post
Well I for one agree with AdamsMom. Apparently FFG3 hasnt been watching the news this year, ayhu... 2009. I live in the good islands area and yea I pack some heat every where I go.
You folks are so dramatic. I have always "packed heat" no matter where I have lived.

As far as following the news, I look at the crime map online EVERYDAY. I know what kind of crime is happening on the islands and in the gated communities. It is nothing. I live at IOH and the area have had basically 2 incidents in the last year and it tunred out to be neighborhood kids stealing granddaddy's beer.

I worry about some of you people carrying guns. You are scared of your own shadow.

Last edited by FFG3; 04-13-2009 at 07:20 AM..

Old 04-13-2009, 03:27 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Everyday????

I go virtually everywhere in town "heatless" and only check the crime report when someone on this board seems to need guidance. Meh, in IOH you could probably walk around naked and have few if any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area