Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 PM

214 posts, read 899,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Everyday????

I go virtually everywhere in town "heatless" and only check the crime report when someone on this board seems to need guidance. Meh, in IOH you could probably walk around naked and have few if any problems.
I have it as one of my favorites and check it out of curiosity because it takes about 1 minute to check everywhere.

Not out of fear.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:31 AM

165 posts, read 507,473 times
Quote:
Meh, in IOH you could probably walk around naked and have few if any problems.
I think walking around naked would probably reduced one's chance of getting attacked. Seriously...who wants to mess with that?!

Old 04-14-2009, 09:38 AM

737 posts, read 2,459,074 times
Quote:
Everyday????

I go virtually everywhere in town "heatless" and only check the crime report when someone on this board seems to need guidance. Meh, in IOH you could probably walk around naked and have few if any problems.
WTF is Meh?
Just curious, is all.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:49 AM

970 posts, read 2,950,156 times
Meh = eh, snuh, heh, etc.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:49 PM

737 posts, read 2,459,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Meh = eh, snuh, heh, etc.
Thanks!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:28 AM

80 posts, read 370,327 times
So..my friend who lived down there said her car was stolen from downtown when she parked on the street and returned to her front door. Nice Southern hospitality, but when I go, what areas should I park in and where should I avoid during the day and at night? It sounds no different than NYC in terms of just avoiding certain areas and you'll be fine. Are the touristy areas lower on crime? We certainly don't want our car stolen!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:08 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,969,640 times
Pretty much anywhere in the historic district is safe. To be more specific, the historic district is MLK Blvd on the west to River Street on the north, Forsyth Park to the south (although if you were walking down MLK, I'd say the I-16 ramp or Blowin' Smoke would be the southern extent of safeness) to East Broad on the east. I would post a map but I don't know how to do that on here.

If you're going to park and walk (which I STRONGLY suggest you do, even at night) I would stay close to the Broughton Street corridor. There are several parking garages you can use that are very secure and much better than on street parking.

Your first stop when you get into downtown Savannah should be the Visitors Center on the corner of Louisville & MLK. They'll have all kinds of information on where you can park, PLUS an added tourist benefit of some kind of free parking for a certain amount of time sorta thing.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:00 PM

33 posts, read 107,152 times
hey wanderingimport what high school did you go to?

Old 04-15-2009, 02:37 PM

80 posts, read 370,327 times
Thanks! Will check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Pretty much anywhere in the historic district is safe. To be more specific, the historic district is MLK Blvd on the west to River Street on the north, Forsyth Park to the south (although if you were walking down MLK, I'd say the I-16 ramp or Blowin' Smoke would be the southern extent of safeness) to East Broad on the east. I would post a map but I don't know how to do that on here.

If you're going to park and walk (which I STRONGLY suggest you do, even at night) I would stay close to the Broughton Street corridor. There are several parking garages you can use that are very secure and much better than on street parking.

Your first stop when you get into downtown Savannah should be the Visitors Center on the corner of Louisville & MLK. They'll have all kinds of information on where you can park, PLUS an added tourist benefit of some kind of free parking for a certain amount of time sorta thing.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:54 AM

8 posts, read 27,256 times
Thanks ServHoth! By the way, please note that criminals have CARS which take them everywhere, so it doesn't matter how "good" of a neighborhood you're in. I live on the Southside in Georgetown, in an area of 250K homes.

As far as not doing anything to attract crime, ie, having one's wits about one, using wisdom, going to the "right areas", I must say that my most recent attack occurred in my own driveway at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon. The others occurred in a Kroger parking lot (again, Southside during daylight hours), downtown in Crawford Square while in the company of three other people i broad daylight, and another at Oglethorpe Mall parking lot, outside JC Penney's, also in broad daylight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area