Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 05:19 PM

7,048 posts, read 4,937,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenChild View Post
Just remember, EVERYONE needs to have their passport in order to enter Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
It's doable but I don't think it's worth it for the amount of time it will take. Vancouver and Seattle are more alike than different. Consider, would you advise a day trip to Dallas while on a trip to Houston? That is an apt comparison, from someone who lives in both Houston and Seattle.

Be aware that any child crossing the border must be accompanied by both parents. If not, you will need to present a notarized letter granting permission to the accompanying adult(s), in addition to the child's birth certificate or passport. (Passports aren't required to enter Canada by car.)
What I heard and I may certainly be wrong, is that you don't need your passport to enter Canada, but you need it to exit back to the US.

Is this a trip for the summer? How controllable are the kids? Because there are whale watching trips that will go from Seattle to Vancouver, or at least they used to be. They can be a little long and if you may not want to go on a small boat with an active child, but, hey, it's something to think about.

Go up to Vancouver on a boat, come back on Amtrak. But I would definitely recommend staying overnight before coming back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2023, 05:43 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,987,028 times
I've never seen a bigger mall than Metrotown in Burnaby other than the Mall of America.

If you're a mall person it can't be missed up there.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:11 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,652,338 times
Wow, first of all I want to say THANK YOU to everybody who commented on this post. A lot of useful and good information. It's a lot to take in and I really appreciate that.

Now I'm left with the idea of possibly just going to Victoria instead. Seems like less of a hassle but still a cool experience nonetheless.

While I'm at it what's some good day trips in Washington for a large group to venture to?

Old 11-12-2023, 09:31 PM

13,124 posts, read 7,596,703 times
^Depends, where are you (group) come from-interests.

Old 11-12-2023, 11:00 PM

8,186 posts, read 8,352,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Wow, first of all I want to say THANK YOU to everybody who commented on this post. A lot of useful and good information. It's a lot to take in and I really appreciate that.

Now I'm left with the idea of possibly just going to Victoria instead. Seems like less of a hassle but still a cool experience nonetheless.

While I'm at it what's some good day trips in Washington for a large group to venture to?
What time of year are you coming? It’s hard to beat the drive up to Paradise on the south side of Mt. Rainier.

Old 11-13-2023, 07:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,722 posts, read 81,625,646 times
We drive up for the day 2-3 times a year, but for specific purposes. Overnight or longer is much better for the first time or to really explore. We are in Sammamish, about the same distance as Renton to Vancouver. We can usually make it to Granville Island, our most common destination for a day trip in just under 3 hours drive time. Our most recent trip up was last month, to Abbottsford, BC. That was only about 2.5 hours via I5, 542 and 9. We went to the Costco there and bought a few things not at ours in the USA, had lunch, and stopped for coffees and Timbits at Tim Horton. Coming home we stayed on highway 9 the whole way, a really beautiful scenic trip through very small towns, farmlands, and woods. It took longer of course with the lower speed limits but was very enjoyable.

Old 11-13-2023, 10:17 AM

6,421 posts, read 8,303,481 times
I wouldn't do it, personally.

It's a great 2 night/3 day destination, so unless you're on a cruise ship or would fly back, you'll spend most of the day getting to/from Vancouver and that's a whole day you could be doing something less stressful and more relaxing.

Old 11-13-2023, 10:44 AM

11,866 posts, read 6,218,388 times
No, a day trip to Vancouver from Seattle wouldn't give you much but a feel for the city and the ability to say you have been there. On paper, it is a 3 hour drive. What happens if somebody gets pulled at the Canadian border for a random check? There goes another hour.

You won't be able to see 3 site-seeing venues after travel time, especially if you take the time for a good meal.

Frankly, I would use the extra time in Seattle. Unless you are going to be in Seattle for over a week, there will plenty for you to see and do there without the added stress of trying to squeeze in a hectic & harried trip to Vancouver, that will just end up in futility.

The last time I was in Vancouver, I must have stayed at least 2 hours just hanging out on Grouse Mountain alone. Amazing views of Vancouver from Grouse Mountain.

Why don't you just plan a trip to Vancouver and Victoria at a future date, when you have ample time to enjoy them. I would not recommend a rushed day trip.

Old 11-13-2023, 10:47 AM

11,866 posts, read 6,218,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I lived in Vancouver, and currently live a 100 miles east of Seattle. I have not been to Seattle in over a decade and that was only because my daughter lived there!!

I would do the vacation the other way. Spend the vacation in Vancouver, and do a day trip to Seattle.

Vancouver is a really neat city. Lots to do, with great areas nearby. Victoria is a great day trip. The mountains to the east are worth exploring.

Vancouver traffic was awful. I cannot imagine what it is these days.

If you want to do a day trip to Canada, I would go to Victoria and take the ferry from Port Angeles. That would be a fun trip. Not sure how the drive would be from Redmond to Port Angeles.....you would have to check that out. Ferry trip is great. Victoria is fairly small and a neat city.

I have heard that 1/3rd of Seattle's ferries are out of service, meaning some runs have only one trip a day. Scheduling a ferry across Puget Sound and back, in addition to the time to drive all the way to Port Angeles is going to eat up most of that day. There won't be any time to see charming Victoria.

It would eat up enough time just to take the ferry from Seattle to Victoria -- 6 hours round trip -- but at least that was the most time efficient way in the past and is a terrific boat ride.

If I am the OP, I would hunker down in the Seattle area and take in another attraction, and plan a Vancouver/Victoria excursion later on. Take a float plane ride. Go to a Seattle beach. See the University of Washington. Go to the Skyview Observatory for stunning city views. Take the Ballard Locks boat tour or the Seattle Ducks. Ride the monorail. I didn't mention drinks on the Space Needle because they are probably already doing that.

Any of these are great bang-for-the-buck because they will already be in town.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 11-13-2023 at 10:57 AM..

Old 11-13-2023, 10:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,722 posts, read 81,625,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I have heard that 1/3rd of Seattle's ferries are out of service, meaning some runs have only one trip a day. Scheduling a ferry across Puget Sound and back, in addition to the time to drive all the way to Port Angeles is going to eat up most of that day. There won't be any time to see charming Victoria.
The ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria is not related to the Washington State Ferries, it's a private company and has no issues currently. The problem is getting to PA to get to that ferry usually means taking a WA state ferry, but one can easily drive around via the Tacoma Narrows bridge in the same time, about 3 hours. By the time you got to Victoria, though, it would be time to head back. That too is an overnight at best, unless you take the Clipper ferry out of Pier 69 in Seattle. That trip is 2.75 hours, and goes to the heart of downtown Victoria, where you can spend a few hours walking the area before heading back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area