Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 07:51 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,743,379 times

Advertisements

We did a trip similar to this like 20 years ago from Bellingham and it was a very very long day then. I'd make it a 2-day thing.
Make sure you have passports even for kids, no forbidden items going EITHER way(they are different), and absolutely avoid going on or around any Canadian holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 09:09 PM

7,031 posts, read 4,916,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
What I heard and I may certainly be wrong, is that you don't need your passport to enter Canada, but you need it to exit back to the US.

Is this a trip for the summer? How controllable are the kids? Because there are whale watching trips that will go from Seattle to Vancouver, or at least they used to be. They can be a little long and if you may not want to go on a small boat with an active child, but, hey, it's something to think about.

Go up to Vancouver on a boat, come back on Amtrak. But I would definitely recommend staying overnight before coming back.
I'm sorry, I meant Victoria here, not Vancouver. Vancouver is much further north.

Old 11-18-2023, 01:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,592,530 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I meant Victoria here, not Vancouver. Vancouver is much further north.
Since a passport or enhanced drivers licence is need to re-enter the US, Canadian border guards aren't going to let you in, if they know you don't have the proper ID to return.

Old 11-18-2023, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Since a passport or enhanced drivers licence is need to re-enter the US, Canadian border guards aren't going to let you in, if they know you don't have the proper ID to return.
I think it depends on the entry conditions of each country. Canada will let you in because they couldn't care less what hoops you have to jump through to get out again. LOL Their interest is in who gets into Canada, not who gets into the US. LOL

Old 11-19-2023, 12:37 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,592,530 times
Quote:
I think it depends on the entry conditions of each country. Canada will let you in because they couldn't care less what hoops you have to jump through to get out again. LOL Their interest is in who gets into Canada, not who gets into the US. LOL
We are speaking about a land border crossing between Canada and the US.

Canadian customs does make sure you have the proper documentation to enter Canada. However since they deal with thousands of Americans, they are well versed on what documentation is needed to return to the US.

If you don't have it, they won't let you in.

Try it and see.

Although the exercise today would be rather moot, ever since 9/11

Last edited by Natnasci; 11-19-2023 at 01:04 PM..

Old 11-19-2023, 04:03 PM

"Can U.S. citizens enter Canada with a birth certificate?

For U.S. citizens, a passport or visa is not required. Instead, a birth certificate and one photo identification card may be used; however, a photo identification card by itself is not enough. For permanent residents of the United States, “Green Cards” may be used in lieu of their passports."

"All U.S. citizens need U.S. passport books if re-entering by air. Land and sea border crossings accept additional travel documents, such as U.S. Passport cards and Trusted Traveler cards."

This is what I found. I don't know how current it is or if it's been updated.

Old 11-20-2023, 06:24 PM

609 posts, read 304,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Drive to Angle Lake Station, park for free, and take light rail to King Street Train Station.

No need to take a car seat with you on the trip (leave it in the car), just a stroller. Much easier on the train with a large group, with restless teenagers and leg-cramped elders not stuck in their seats, but able to get up and wander, get bites and drinks, hang out in the lounge car, etc. Plus, the trip is very, very scenic (and relaxing).

No need for cars, Uber, parking, etc. Take SkyTrain to Downtown. Walk along the Seawall/Coal Harbor (get Gelatos) to Stanley Park and the Aquarium. Take the bus back. Visit the Vancouver Lookout, GasTown Steam Clock, shop, grab a late lunch. (Save Granville Island for another trip.) Take SkyTrain back to the Train Station.
Bad idea. What you suggested will cost $500, leave no flexibility in schedule, and require carrying bags all day. The car was invented for a reason.

Old 11-21-2023, 09:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,662 posts, read 81,403,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
Bad idea. What you suggested will cost $500, leave no flexibility in schedule, and require carrying bags all day. The car was invented for a reason.
The train, while scenic, is 4.5 hours, you can make the drive in less than half that time.

Old 11-21-2023, 04:46 PM

6,418 posts, read 8,292,105 times
FWIW, the last time we took the train to Vancouver this past April, we left at 5am to catch the first train from King Station, and we didn't clear customs in Canada until around 2PM. We found out the hard way that train delays are all too common once you've crossed into Canada (for a variety of reasons). We took the last train back and it was pretty quick by comparison, but driving is really preferable if you've got an enhanced DL or Nexus. It was cloudy on the way up there, so the only really scenic parts to me were near Bellingham, and it was mostly dark on the way back. Maybe it's a lot better on a crystal clear summer day?

When I lived in San Diego, trips to TJ felt like much less of a hassle, but that was a long, long time ago so maybe it's different now.

In all honesty, flying into Vancouver is probably the easiest/fastest way (though most expensive) since the SkyTrain is reliable and efficient, but I don't ever want to take the train again if I can avoid it. We drove up there right around the 4th of July and entering was super fast on a week day morning, but coming back to the US was different story...

Old 11-22-2023, 08:46 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,389,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
If booking now for June 4th (Tuesday), Adult $36RT x 10 = $360; Child $18RT; Infant Free. Total: $378. Any Seniors get a 10% discount. Flex fares, so free cancellation. That's pretty cheap for a 12-person scenic "excursion" and more fun than being crammed in a couple cars for 5-6 hours. If there are no delays, they'll have about 5 hours in downtown Vancouver.

What bags? It's a day trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area