Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 09:00 AM

10,847 posts, read 4,529,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
depends on your post SHTF lifestyle, a lot of people want to make it too complicated, one must adapt.

well my answer was more for the states...your comment about bikes and walking jogged it outta me.

people in the states who think they are going to go back to an agrarian society are kidding themselves. the skillset and supply acquisition timeframe is outside their expiration date

we have such a small percentage of our population engaged and a rather low land usage due to advances of ..... wait for it....technology. lets do a poll, how many here reading THIS are actual producing farmers. not grew up on or near one, or knows someone, but rather get up in the am, slop the hogs, pet the cows, run the deere... (my bet is zero, they are busy working, not playing on the web)

duzz anyone even know where to get seeds OTHER than the local agway? and if you did get seeds off the plants, where the plants rendered sterile by manipulation? and do you know how to prep the seed coat for germination?

this brings up a new plan:

a) dont shoot farmers when you steal from them
b) get the fuel infrastructure back up
c) or kidnap the amish BUT! guess where they get seed from AS WELL. (like I said before, the amish are no longer as amish as you think)

The population has been removed from food production in the first world for so long that it is accepted the skillset is lost forever - simply because the window for trial and error when the safeway is still down the street, aint there. no amount of 'prepping' will make this sustainable. restoration of food production and distribution is a top priority in the US DR SIOP. (<-- united states disaster recovery single integrated operational plan.....its actually a thing)

the effects of natural (earthquake, volcano, hurricane) and manmade (war, commies, democrats) disasters on other world nations where farming is pretty much ALL they do, is well documented. as someone pointed out, famines that kill millions. not as prevalent as they said, but it happened. and they know what they are doing, en masse. russia, china, india and globs of africa are prime examples)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Actually, my father has raised and used Belgian draft horses for most of his life. He made a living logging with them for many years. My brother was the Montana State Champion Working Teamster for 4 years until he retired undefeated at age 20.
We have a comprehensive collection of horse equipment including graders, ore wagons, binders, mowers, buck rakes and dump rakes, cultivators, sulky plows, and yes, we have 3 horse drawn manure spreaders. And yes, we have all the harnesses and other necessary accoutrements.

I live about 8 miles from a Hutterite colony that currently ships 2100 pigs per week.

Personally, I enjoy working oxen and I can make yokes from local timber. It isn't that hard. I blacksmith and have a well stocked forge so I can repair the equipment as they don't make replacement parts for that stuff anymore. I can forge chains for tugs too.

I also raise dogs and work them not just on stock and for hunting, but they do well as a team pulling sleds and carts.

Not everyone lives in an area where using animals to work is a forgotten skill, although I agree the vast majority of people have no access to this kind of option.

you are definitely the exception to the rule.

Old 06-09-2022, 02:42 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
....... lets do a poll, how many here reading THIS are actual producing farmers. ...........
My immediate reaction to this is Nunya.

Im not sharing personal information and I'm certainly not taking any information from anyone who obviously doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. Just some advice: snoopy people are not often well received. Take it for what it is worth.

Old 06-09-2022, 02:50 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I harvested a cabbage today.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-09-2022, 04:35 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
if tractors stop running due to the lack of fuel, I would assume ships would too.

duzz anyone:

a) know where to find domesticated draft animals within WALKING distance....you are not importing them from india (if even they have some, Mahindra is the largest seller in.....india)
b) know where to find the yokes and straps etc to hook them up?
c) to what? the implements in the parking lots of antique stores are junk

d) and how to scudda hoo, scudda hay?

Unless the plan is to kidnap and enslave the amish if

e) you have amish near you

we once again gotta look long and hard and getting the fuel infrastructure back on line.

Im not discounting bikes and the shoe leather express...but draft animals are gonna be out of the reach

And! even if you got it running, you need to fertilize it and that is almost 100% manmade today, unless

f) you know where a pig farm is (pig s**t makes the best, especially in volume)

g) can get a draft animal manure spreader (that is actually a thing)
h) so we are back to the amish and the stricter mennies.
We have a couple of donkeys. We have enough gear to use them as pack animals and can rig something up for pulling a cart. One of them is large enough to ride. Their primary function is livestock guardians, but it's not lost on us that if the barges quit coming they may have to do a lot more than that. We have no need to use them for tasks like plowing fields because our garden areas are small enough to do by hand. And we don't have enough soil for anything like that anyway.

Old 06-09-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My immediate reaction to this is Nunya.

Im not sharing personal information and I'm certainly not taking any information from anyone who obviously doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. Just some advice: snoopy people are not often well received. Take it for what it is worth.

interesting, is that directed to me in partic?

and if so, has it ever occurred to you that 'our plan' is a couple decades more mature than yours? the level of detail I just touch upon is eons over giving up to die and ride horses until you do.

when I post part numbers of stuff you will want or addresses of places you will want to visit or hints on how to make things work - did you know about them before hand? even aware of the importance? IF not, then you need to come to jesus more than you think. sadly, today, thats always the case :-(

Im gonna go with proven, tested facts rather than someone with something they think they read. just sayin.

If that was not directed to me, my apologies.

ps: our plan is not to be snoopy. IT will be authoritative. the goal is resumption of the USA. You take this oath see....and sometimes people expect you to live up to it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness