Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: IYO... Are we about to experience a SHTF event
NO 42 37.17%
YES 21 18.58%
Very soon, less then 3 months 7 6.19%
In 6 months or so 8 7.08%
It will happen shortly, but last less then a month 1 0.88%
It will happen but gradually 16 14.16%
By next year big time event 3 2.65%
Absolutely, I'm expecting a form of civil war 11 9.73%
It will be a slow burn towards depression 16 14.16%
Our government will suspend the constitution and declare Marshall law 7 6.19%
other... explain 9 7.96%
Only wacko's believe in SHTF, not the town in Texas 8 7.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 10:57 AM

15,046 posts, read 9,946,537 times

Advertisements

Couple of methods being used, double 2x4 studs with an gap or joist studs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zyyvXCxYwI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zGzcn9rDKg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2024, 11:22 AM

37,693 posts, read 61,784,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
... However, metal studs would be a problem if in an external wall.
I was thinking about this, and wanted to get back to it.

I have seen metal studs, and I own a commercial building in the city where its storefront wall has metal studs. Because that wall is 90% glass the contractor insisted that we use metal studs.

My steel house though has no metal studs, just steel girders, purlins and sheet metal with 2" spray-on foam and 9" itch batting. The girders are interior. Fortunately by using steel there is no reason for any interior load-bearing walls. You can easily have an interior span of 60' without the need to be concerned about load bearing.

Came in handy when the insurance company wanted details of how our woodstove has 20feet of clearance

I agree that if you had metal studs in an external wall it would be an issue defeating attempts to insulate.

Old 01-14-2024, 06:32 PM

19,043 posts, read 14,327,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In my area, we see it regularly on roofs.

An uninsulated attic can be covered by snow, heat in the attic, between rafters will melt the snow. Leaving stripes on the roof. You can clearly see where the rafters are located.

If you attempt to insulate a wall to R-40, but the woodstick studs are only R-11. The results of thermal photography will show those stripes. You can install insulation like crazy, but those R-11 stripes will still be there.

Perhaps as a percentage of the total wall surface, if one-tenth of your total wall surface is R-11, and the remaining nine-tenths is R-40. Your wall is still NOT R-40.
Yes - and - no.
A 2x4 wall, 16" o.c. => 1.5" stud + 14.5" gap (10%); 24" o.c. => 1.5" stud + 22.5" gap (7%).

However, an R40 wall system, would need at least a 12" gap filled with insulation batting. Therefore, using
two 2x4 walls (24"o.c.) with a 12" gap between them wouldn't bridge too much thermal energy via the studs.

Old 01-15-2024, 10:26 AM

22,132 posts, read 13,297,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Despite the naysayers, I do understand what you are saying, but maybe it is because we are both over 65, I think, based on your frequent contributions to the Retirement forum.

I can speak only for myself, of course, but quality of life is MUCH more important to me than how many years I live. If I knew that a SHTF event was coming, I would live life to the fullest until then -- which at my age would mean eating good food and drinking good wine to my heart's content. If I must live on only canned food and dried beans. and live in a cave or underground, I would rather not live at all.

But, as I said, I am over 65. I am quite sure that most people under 50 -- and especially those with children -- would have a decidedly different view from mine.
Yeah; I've never been a "life at any cost" type and prefer quality over quantity. I also believe in the NEXT life, realize there are many things worse than death, and don't find life all that appealing on the best of days lately... But I realize I'm in the minority there, and I'm sure not having children or grandchildren is yet another factor. For some here, this almost seems to be a hobby as well as a community, so I get the appeal. I suppose it's a good thing for the world that some wish to carry on regardless!

Old 01-16-2024, 05:43 AM

5,439 posts, read 3,651,370 times
anyone with these sorts of attitudes "quality over quantity" will change their tune very quickly when the enormity of SHTF becomes apparent, if they dont then they can shuffle off this mortal coil if they so wish.
in any case post SHTF does not mean eating canned food and living in a cave, anyone who thinks that does not know what prepping is about and never will.

Old 01-16-2024, 07:44 AM

20,147 posts, read 9,673,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
anyone with these sorts of attitudes "quality over quantity" will change their tune very quickly when the enormity of SHTF becomes apparent, if they dont then they can shuffle off this mortal coil if they so wish.
in any case post SHTF does not mean eating canned food and living in a cave, anyone who thinks that does not know what prepping is about and never will.
FYI, I have seen about a half-dozen videos about very "luxurious" bunkers and several documentaries about surviving SHTF events. No thanks. If I can't live in the open in my comfortable home among leafy trees in summer and snow-laden trees in winter, and be able to come and go without fear, I'll pass.

But you do you. (Just please don't try to think for me and form my opinions for me.)

Old 01-16-2024, 07:49 AM

15,046 posts, read 9,946,537 times
Quote:
FYI, I have seen about a half-dozen videos about very "luxurious" bunkers and several documentaries about surviving SHTF events. No thanks. If I can't live in the open in my comfortable home among leafy trees in summer and snow-laden trees in winter, and be able to come and go without fear, I'll pass.

But you do you. (Just please don't try to think for me and form my opinions for me.)
We all want that, but we also want to protect our families and ourselves from the 'storm', and come they will... like they have since time itself.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:19 AM

5,439 posts, read 3,651,370 times
Quote:

I'm not a fan of bunkers either, I prefer to be above ground and see what people are doing, besides a bunker will end up being someone's expensive tomb.
not every SHTF event will be nuclear, there are many other sorts which you would know if you had bothered to research prepping.

Old 01-16-2024, 11:00 AM

9,264 posts, read 4,887,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
not every SHTF event will be nuclear, there are many other sorts which you would know if you had bothered to research prepping.
Yeah, he mentioned, he was new to the neighborhood. He doesn't really know us. Too bad we don't have a welcome wagon

In Other Words, it might be nice to put together a "This is Real Prepping 101.
We should show them, it isn't anything like what the rest of the world portrays.

For instance, my main focus is on supply lines being disrupted. Whether that is my food source or my meds (each have had their disruptions, in the past dozen years) or other stuff, I have a supply on hand to deal with that.

We do dabble in the "apocalyptic" versions of SHTF, but the main focus is to be the guy who has the stuff, when others need help, rather than being the guy who needs help from others. (Of course, there are many who never quite get that... )

Old 01-16-2024, 11:19 AM

20,147 posts, read 9,673,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Yeah, he mentioned, he was new to the neighborhood. He doesn't really know us. Too bad we don't have a welcome wagon

In Other Words, it might be nice to put together a "This is Real Prepping 101.
We should show them, it isn't anything like what the rest of the world portrays.

For instance, my main focus is on supply lines being disrupted. Whether that is my food source or my meds (each have had their disruptions, in the past dozen years) or other stuff, I have a supply on hand to deal with that.

We do dabble in the "apocalyptic" versions of SHTF, but the main focus is to be the guy who has the stuff, when others need help, rather than being the guy who needs help from others. (Of course, there are many who never quite get that... )
Okay, I am going to be leaving this thread after this, but I do know that there are MANY kinds of SHTF events -- economic crashes, martial law and/or lockdowns (for whatever reason), natural disasters -- as mentioned in at least one other thread.)

But for the LAST time (in this thread at least), I am not willing to live in a "kill or be killed" kind of world that seems to be the gist of many "end of the world as we know it" apocalyptic novels. We do have a year's worth of food and a generator and we live near a large body of fresh water and there are many fruit orchards close by. So it that is not enough to survive -- oh, well. (The main worry for me is that my husband is on prescription meds, but he is 67 and he is already well past the time where the men in his family usually die from heart problems whereas my family is long lived and most die from old age/dementia in their 90's, so maybe that explains our outlook regarding SHTF events. Again, I am not saying that our way is right and anyone who disagrees with that is wrong.)

Bye. (And have a good day, lol. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness