Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 12:22 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Okay, whatever!

Almost no one, thank you WRM and Silvertip, is interested in telling us unknowings of how to do it. So be it. Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 12:53 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
OK - you want practical advice? Or just conversation?

Most people without thermometers judge whether something is done by looking at it. You can pull a roast off the heat, cut into it and see if it *looks* done. For pork, that probably means no longer pink. For beef, it might be quite pink still. So it just depends on the meat and one's personal preference.

If you're cooking over an open fire or are otherwise without things like ovens and regulated temperatures, it's probably best to cut the meat into smaller, grillable cuts, it's probably a lot easier than trying to cook big roasts or whole turkeys that might take longer cooking times and more specific temperatures.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:56 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Agree with those who say cut it open and look at it. I rarely use a meat thermometer, except for beef roast to make sure it’s not overcooked.
Chicken and pork I prefer over rather than undercooked.
Fish I’m pretty much the same, I prefer overcooked unless I’m eating professionally prepared sushi.

Hell we never even had a meat thermometer for most of our lives.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:23 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times

Old 03-22-2024, 03:07 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
we usually cook meat until its falling apart, well done is how we like it.

Old 03-22-2024, 03:48 AM

2,047 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
The same way food was cooked over fire since the beginning of time.
Exactly. And how much of humanity continues to cook and eat meat today.

The OP's question sounds like something an inexperienced 20 year old would ask. Like, if there's no internet and they can't buy whatever gadget they need on Amazon and watch an instruction video on Youtube, then they're doomed to perish. Maybe that would be a good thing for our species!

Old 03-22-2024, 05:39 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
The OP's question sounds like something an inexperienced 20 year old would ask.
Yeah, it's surprising (I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
we usually cook meat until its falling apart, well done is how we like it.
I mean this is the answer for pretty much anything. If you're truly in dire straits and need to cook like this just cook the heck out of it, whatever it is. It's not like you'd have the luxury of worrying about a fine dining experience with perfectly cooked medium-rare raccoon.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:47 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I am not that old and doubt anyone here is.

A and B. A: How did they do it?

B: How often did they die doing it wrong.....and hence, the above is not a useful answer for the current time.
I've cooked for 30 years mostly without a thermometer. It sounds like you have cooked a lot, maybe a good tip would be to use your thermometer still but to take a look at what a slice looks like or what color or consistency of juice comes out when poked etc.

In short, when you recognize those other cues that it is well cooked you can then rely on that if you are ever without a thermometer.

P.S. And we all know that some types of meat need more caution than others.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:04 AM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
even currently now "in civilization" there are people who cook and bake (a) without using thermometers, and (b) without using clocks. so start practicing now while it is easy and then you will have that skill when there are not any gadgets.

the first time i heard that people can bake without using clocks to time the baking (i never did use a thermometer ever) i did not believe it was possible. at that time i was on a kick baking brownies. lots of brownies. perfecting the best tasting brownies. so i was making many many many batches, different flavors. I didn't even like brownies all that much, so i would eat one and then give the rest away. my circle of friends at the time loved this phase by the way.

anyway as i wondered how people could cook without timing things i started i guess paying more attention and become more acutely tuned in. i noticed the brownies had a distinct scent (a quite yummy scent) around the time they were done. this to me was fascinating. So instead of hovering around the oven fearful of my brownies being ruined i became more relaxed, would go off to other parts of the house and when i could smell the yummy smell only then i checked the oven and VOILA perfectly cooked brownies. every time.

point being it's possible to cook without gadgets and (gasp) people did this quite well for many more centuries than the gadgets have existed. for meat, cut off a piece and look at it.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:25 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
All of this. It's how I've always cooked and baked.

If we learn how to take care of ourselves now, it's not a big deal later. Buying a couple of thermometers now and packing them away for an emergency is also not a big deal later. Keep it simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
even currently now "in civilization" there are people who cook and bake (a) without using thermometers, and (b) without using clocks. so start practicing now while it is easy and then you will have that skill when there are not any gadgets.

the first time i heard that people can bake without using clocks to time the baking (i never did use a thermometer ever) i did not believe it was possible. at that time i was on a kick baking brownies. lots of brownies. perfecting the best tasting brownies. so i was making many many many batches, different flavors. I didn't even like brownies all that much, so i would eat one and then give the rest away. my circle of friends at the time loved this phase by the way.

anyway as i wondered how people could cook without timing things i started i guess paying more attention and become more acutely tuned in. i noticed the brownies had a distinct scent (a quite yummy scent) around the time they were done. this to me was fascinating. So instead of hovering around the oven fearful of my brownies being ruined i became more relaxed, would go off to other parts of the house and when i could smell the yummy smell only then i checked the oven and VOILA perfectly cooked brownies. every time.

point being it's possible to cook without gadgets and (gasp) people did this quite well for many more centuries than the gadgets have existed. for meat, cut off a piece and look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness