Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:24 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,111,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
to the op. for us standing outside, i would say that SD is probably one of the most historical states over there.so maybe its therefore ?
There is a lot of history here, but not everyone is fascinated by western history. It's an amazing place, if you are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 08:35 AM

193 posts, read 678,113 times
I found when I was looking to move south I romanticized things like the weather being warmer. Someone told me to make sure to check it out during the "worst" months (summer) so I'd be sure to know what I was getting into. I think that truly goes for South Dakota. If you like it in the winter, you'll love it the rest of the year

Old 03-02-2010, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 5,764 times
Default Answer from a not so typical californian.

no8fann I think you hit the nail on the head as to every reason I want to move to California. I am tired of the Armani and the Prada the SUV's and the hatred of anything historic or Main Street like that does not have a new super mega gianornmous shopping mall attached to it. I can guarantee you if My family moves to SD we will not find it boring hopefully just slower paced and friendlier. I am actually from Northern California where years ago there used to be a difference from southern California.

Mark Del Monte

Old 03-07-2010, 01:40 AM

46 posts, read 150,046 times
I was born a city girl but am convinced it was a mistake. While I'm a born and bred southern calfornia girl (insert frown here) I have family that lives all over the United States and spent many summers in Arkansas on my Grandpa's 40 acres. I love that when you go to the grocery store you know the checker. I love that my Grandpa complains about the "traffic" when there are only two other people on the road. I love the fact that going to the DMV takes TEN MINUTES, on a BAD day!!! South Dakota has that small hometown feel and where you still feel like there are people in this country who are proud to be Americans. Add to that gorgeous scenery and take away the humidity of Arkansas, I'm hooked!!!

California is great for some. A lot of people love the hustle and bustle. They enjoy the night life and would rather look at neon lights than stars. Weather under 70 and they complain about freezing. They need the latest fashion or styles. If it works for them, great! Not me though, I want stars and seasons and to enjoy the simple pleasures in life. I'm a-okay with only a Target and a Wal Mart!

Old 03-12-2010, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,555 times
I moved here from California...mainly due to the people who live there. People there are careless, rude, selfish, and just plain ignorant. I moved here because ever since my first time coming to south dakota, every person I have met have been helpfull, polite, and just a pleasure to talk to. Plus, the lack of traffic and congestion is a plus too! I moved to woonsocket, bought a house I'm in love with, and have been cleaning my flooded basement since the temps went up. And the weird thing is, I'm loving every minute of it!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:50 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbethsayers View Post
I love the fact that going to the DMV takes TEN MINUTES, on a BAD day!!!
For that once in a lifetime trip!

The reason Kalis go to SD there is because the state is one of seven that do not have a state income tax. The others are AK, NV, WA, WY, TN & NH. The latter two have taxes on interest.

The cost of living is way higher in AK, NV & WY than in Kali. Just because there's no tax doesn't compensate for higher transportation, fuel and food costs. Having fewer people doesn't bode well for health care either. The people who bought our previous homes in WY, SD and MT were all from Kali - who thought buying a summer home was a great idea. I am now in possession of those homes again, because they defaulted and couldn't pay the property taxes. There's such a thing called tax regressivity. Look it up sometime.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:21 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,806,597 times
Really heath care suffers? I find that hard believe. RC Regional, Avera and Sanford all have top notch health care. By all accounts are well thought of in the heath care industry. And South Dakota is close to the Mayo clinic who has a world class reputation.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:52 AM

SD is close to Mayo Clinic - only if you live in Sioux Falls! But if you are in Chamberlain or Rapid - you're a long helo ride from there or from a Trauma I or II hospital. Mayo Clinic has operated as a referral hospital

Trauma Hosp? Two in the entire state and they are both in Sioux Falls

Old 03-15-2010, 06:00 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,806,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
SD is close to Mayo Clinic - only if you live in Sioux Falls! But if you are in Chamberlain or Rapid - you're a long helo ride from there or from a Trauma I or II hospital. Mayo Clinic has operated as a referral hospital

Trauma Hosp? Two in the entire state and they are both in Sioux Falls

But you forget there are 4 helicopters that provide medical transport and several fixed winged aircraft. Mayo is an easy drive for most people. I was there a year ago, distance wasn't a factor.

With the aircraft you are no more than a half hour from a major medical center. And those airplanes can have you to facilities such a Mayo in one hour perhaps an hour and half from western SD. They can air force you out to burn centers in Denver or Minneapolis.

Even in areas where there are trauma centers it depends but often a patient is transported to the closest facility to be stabilized to transports to trauma center.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:03 PM

Helos cost $600/hr for crew & fuel, per hour and what insurance company pays for that? Fixed wing is slightly less. Getting to a hospital during the golden hour may prevent that helo ride, or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota