Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:17 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times

Advertisements

The golden hour is somewhat a myth anymore. Even in a major city with a trauma center the golden hour is hard to achieve.

From time of injury to operating table.... Have the time lapse from injury to 911 call, the time to ascertain injury and assign medical priority. EMS response. On scene treatment, initial trauma assessment, patient packaging. Transport to trauma center. Transition to emergency room, any sort of diagnostic. CT scans Xrays to determine extent and where they need to operate. Then getting the patient to operating theater... If you are lucky with a trauma center close its right at an hour if not over an hour.

As an EMT that is something we have to consider. Some cases a trauma center who is an hour out or a non trauma center 20 minutes out. With a helicopter, we can package the patient initiate treatment and have them on the bird and to a trauma center in 10 minutes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 11:21 AM

230 posts, read 626,450 times
I understand you aren't trying to stir up controversary and neither am I with my response, only trying to be objective.

With that I will say that you could easily flip the situation around by saying there are people from rural areas that think the big city lights are the way to go, but when they get there, wonder how come there aren't any cows to tip (poor attempt at humor) or something they did where they moved from is my point.

I have enjoyed my time here in Sioux Falls since being assigned here for the Army. I would also add though that Sioux Falls is certainly not where I could see myself staying long term. ONCE AGAIN, I have enjoyed Sioux Falls. What it comes down to is simply finding what/where it is you like and doing that.

Thing is, everyone is different and what works for some might not work for others. What you find irritating about one part of the country, others might love. I'm sure people look in on little South Dakota and have all kinds of negative things to say about why they wouldn't want to live there, but that's simply their opinion.

I left Cincinnati to join the Army when I was 19. It was the last place on earth I wanted to be. There was nothing for me there (outside of family) and I found it very boring. I have travelled all over God's green earth and found a handful of places that I have enjoyed. New York City, Washington D.C., San Antonio, and have Sioux Falls on that list as well. With all those nice cities, as I got older, I realized the only place I could really see myself long term was Cincinnati.

It was all the things Cincinnati offers my family and I, now at 40, that I couldn't realize at 19. The larger downtown area, without being a NYC. The suburban areas (where I bought a house) with rolling hills and a calmer lifestyle. The museums of natural history and art. The culture of the city. The zoo, pro sports, amusement parks, and many other things I can share with my son.

Bottomline, it's where I fit best. I will look back on many of those places and find things I miss and wish Cincinnati had, but again, it's about the best fit. I will/do miss the craziness of New York City, the history of Washington D.C., the fun times and warm weather of San Antonio, and will miss the polite people and laid back nature of Sioux Falls. Heck, I will actually miss all the snow (yes I have enjoyed it). I will look back on all of those things and be happy I experienced them as opposed to being sad and/or angry I don't have them anymore.

Here's to hoping everyone can someday find the place that they fit the best !!!

Old 03-17-2010, 02:06 PM

412 posts, read 958,296 times
What he said.

There are things I miss about California, such as the ocean. Granted I had to claw my way through a horde of people to see it, but it was beautiful. I miss the sound of the waves and the tang of sea air. There are a few shops I used to frequent that don't have an equivalent here, like Trader Joe's. I miss the weird, quirky little mountain town I lived in. But I'm glad to have had those experiences, even if I was desperate to escape.

Now that I've found a place that feels more like home, I can enjoy it. But I can also enjoy the memories of the "good times" in SoCal... of which, despite my unhappiness with the place, there were many. I can't go to the beach anymore without getting on a plane, but I can call up those memories any time I want.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:17 PM

151 posts, read 326,276 times
What you BOTH just said!

Old 03-17-2010, 02:34 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,710 times
I can understand those POVs...as much as I hate to admit it, there are some things I miss about where I lived in Indiana - the great little bakery I used to get scones and bread from, the farmer's market (and the availability of produce in general), a larger variety of shopping choices, and the ability to stop by Target whenever I felt like it! But, I can bake at home, grow my own veggies, shop online, and my budget will thank me for not stopping at Target daily! I feel like I have gained so much more than I have lost, not to mention I have a secure, full-time job, thanks to my cross-country move. I have had to trade Lake Michigan for the Black Hills, but I can tolerate the trade. Now, if I could just get certain of my friends convinced to live out here, life would be perfect! But, I guess that's what we have the internet for! I can still keep in touch with them, and we will eventually be trading visits, so I can tolerate the distance.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:04 PM

230 posts, read 626,450 times
See, that's what I'm talking about. It's not about one place being better than another, it's about finding what works best for you and your situation. I can remember when I was a young Soldier complaining about one of the assignments that I was given and when my First Sergeant heard me, he said to me, "Private, there's no such thing as a better or worse place, only different. It's what you make of it that makes all the difference."

Smart man...

Old 03-17-2010, 03:15 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_Mark View Post
See, that's what I'm talking about. It's not about one place being better than another, it's about finding what works best for you and your situation. I can remember when I was a young Soldier complaining about one of the assignments that I was given and when my First Sergeant heard me, he said to me, "Private, there's no such thing as a better or worse place, only different. It's what you make of it that makes all the difference."

Smart man...
That's exactly what I have said all along! Must be from being a service brat! My dad was in the air force...

Old 03-18-2010, 03:02 PM

46 posts, read 149,989 times
"The cost of living is way higher in AK, NV & WY than in Kali."

The cost of living is way higher in Arkansas than it is in California!? I wish! I don't know about Neveda or Wyoming but I'm guessing that it is also cheaper to live in those places than it is to live in California. That's why wages are lower in the other states- becuase the cost of living is lower as well.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:45 PM

412 posts, read 958,296 times
AK = Alaska. (AR = Arkansas). It's because everything has to be flown to Alaska... there is no connecting bridge to the mainland that would allow trucks and freight trains to be utilized.

I would agree that most parts of NV and WY are probably cheaper than most parts of CA, but there are touristy areas like Jackson Hole where that may not always be the case. Wages tend to be a LOT lower, and housing costs in some areas are rising to due an influx of people from other states (not just CA). Thus, the savings may not be as great as people would think.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:13 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,898 times
I suspect that many if not most Californians who leave the state will return, once they've been through four of five nasty winters....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota