Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 03:54 PM

445 posts, read 1,811,672 times

Advertisements

the cassellis

i read that post it was awesome!!! i think i will read it again!!

thanks
christina

Old 08-12-2007, 03:58 PM

77 posts, read 434,784 times
Caselli's when you mentioned Pasadena HS and 1974...Did you by happen to graduate around there or just throwing it in as a reference?...Just curious..lol You and I might have even lived close to each other growing up then to live now even .......

Old 08-12-2007, 04:07 PM

242 posts, read 1,117,988 times
SINCE YOU CHOSE CASSELLI TO DO THE INTERNET VERSION OF YELLING AT ME IN YOUR POSTS DIRECTED AT ME, I SHALL RETURN THE FAVOR IN MY OPENING PARAGRAPH.

Your expectations and your posts all center around how wondeful California was. Your daughter either went ot a maganet school(yes I know about them my daughter the Ballet dancer attended one as well) Or you paid for a private school. The magnet system in California is extremely small, since it has very little funding for it. There are long waiting lists to get in and even then you have to meet certain criteria to get in. The public schools in Utah have a few schools like that in the large metro areas like SLC. ST. George is not going to have that. Seems you talked to people with out really coming here. Seeing is first hadn reasearch rather than making the kind of move you made with the kind of needs you wanted to have met. Did you ever visit the schools before you came? Did you really come with the thought that St, George Utah was going to have the kind of arts programs the Los Angeles basin has? I would have thought if you were so concerned with your daughters training in fine arts you would have stayed in LA area, and or gone places Like NYC or Chicago. Those places you would have been able to find the level of schooling you sought.

Lets see me living her for a grand total of 22 months not years is too long? I can at least do the math to see that moving here in 2004 until now 2007 is three years not 4 like you have claimed. Yes I lived near here back in the 70's back when St. George was 4000 people. The mall or what some of us refer to as the hall, was built long before Californians discovered so. Utah. It is not the californian money that is giving it the facelift, it happens to be the corporations that are doing that to try and attract buusiness. The mall is sorely in need of people to shop there. It is hurting business wise. Oh but then as you are alluding to, that is the Californian money that did that.

You keep up the mantra that if it weren't for the californians that moved in with their money..... well all the things you don't like about the area, ie the construction that keeps on, and the changing of the area from what it was when you moved here is brought on by what exactly? Very few from other areas end up here. Most are California transplants. Which with the attitudes in previous posts you shown, engender the idea of the bad rep Californians get here. Is money the only thing good about Californians? I thought good people were what mattered, not their money. With the influx of Californians the prices for goods has risen to match what you pay in California. Wonder why? Markets get what the market will bear. Basic economics.

Yep house rents and such for the new built stuff that was snapped up by the Californians is high. They want enough to make a profit while they sit and wait to sell. Not all were bought as retirement homes. If that was the case, you would not have the average age of the resident of Washington county being 27. There are a lot of areas, that are not bad areas, just older houses and apartments that do not charge the high end rents. As to bad areas, there are no real bad areas. There are some older neighborhoods that have lower income people, but to outsiders it sounds like large areas. It may be a block or two in size. The area prides itself on trying to keep the area clean. St. Geroge is not the big geographically. Washingtn and St. Geroge run into each other, so does Santa Clara, and Ivans. It takes you maybe 10 minutes to drive from one end of the metro area to the other.

Suddenly your posts start talking about the nice people, and the nice area. Before it was how horrible it all was. You also say that your good friends are all non Utahs and LDS. Then you say you talk to and communicate and even have had Thanksgiving at a LDS household. Yeah attitude comes through.

BTW it is a nice attormey in SLC that owns all of the movie theaters in St. George, and Cedar City. The crumbling old theaters are in some cases over 30 years old. That was the style of how theaters were built back then. Most theaters in the country are now built with the idea of stadium seating. That did not come just from California. that is silly assumption.

Oh and I beg to differe that there are no attorney's that are female in St. Geroge. One we are using right now lives in St. Geroge and has her office there. Wonder of wonders that is another false statement. I also know quite a few larger metro areas even gasp in California, that have no female judges. There is a female judge in Cedar City Utah. She has been on the bench for over 25 years. I'm very familiar with what a paralegal is. I worked as one putting my self through college the first time round. it decided me fast that law was not what I wanted to pursue.

SLC has not really changed in the 40 years I've been in and around it. It has grown, gotten more crime, but it has stayed basically what it was with the same racial mix, and ethnic backgrounds.

I have four children, Two are as glow in the dark white as me. One is an adopted native American (Navajo), the other is African American. They had handicaps that no one else wanted them. I raised them and now they are all except my baby all off in their own lives. I may not be able to say I'm not white, but I could care less what color someones skin is.

Starbucks and Olive Garden would have come here without the Californians. So. Utah is franchise hell. There is every sort of franchise in the area. Cedar City has two Starbucks and the Californians didn't invade up there until after the first was in place. so take that garbage about Californians and their money and put it in the proper resepticle. The area was not West Virgina poor before Californiams came. that attitude right there in and of itself supports the bad rep all Californians are getting. Most don't act like that or voice such stupid things. If that is not antagonistic, reread what you posted above.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:08 PM

Cristina, CravenClan, I'm a freelance photographer working for several large magazines. I get sent on occasional trips to various places in the world. My main subject matter is documentary work of different cultures and people.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:51 PM

ALL OF YOU GUYS AND GALS HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP TO MY WIFE SHE ENJOYS ALL OF YOUR FEED BACK SO WITH THAT SAID I WOULD LIKE TO SAY A FEW THINGS AND WITH DUE RESPECT TO ALL OF YOU BECAUSE I DO BELIEVE WE ALL ARE IMPORTANT TO THIS THREAD NO MATTER WHAT ARE SITUATION Wow sounds like all of you have deep thoughts i will call them. Our family was from Pasadena when it was a nice place to live 1971 wow how times have changed. My father was a Arcadia fire fighter and also worked with the city of Pasadena, until taking a job as L.A. fighter for over 30 years. now retired living a slower pace of life in Redding Ca. First of all, all I wanted to do when i was young was work on the fire dept as my father did and follow in his footsteps and serve my community as he did with a degree in fire tech 8 years as a volunter and putting myself through a fire academy. i couldnt get that job due to affirmitive action even though i was also a professional tester scoring in the high 90s on all exams.sad but true the hirees were getting high 70s on tests and getting the jobs. how sad but im not bitter because im white. i tested hard and didnt get it due to my skin color, all this does is make you a stronger better person down the road.
secondly im shocked that everyone who ever lived in California whether it be for 3 mos or 30 years is now labeled a Californian ha ha.I truly loved California for what it was and now not is. its kinda sad that its such a beautiful place that got turned into a place where everyone is all about themselves selfish ungrateful rude pushy in a hurry and most are not even from cali they are from back east cold states and other areas. they dont know what this place is they just want to be somewhere where things can be all about them. how sad. i grew up here and this is the place i call home? I dont want to raise my family here due to the crime smog racial problems now associated with California. Freeways are a joke people drive 2 hours to work one way work 8 hours then drive 2 hours home just to drive a mercedes and have a median priced home what a joke what is that teaching our younger people of to day what a bad influence.
I love the schools here they are good but i hate the people we have highly educated people working 12 hour days there kids going to good schools only to be learning how to drive a mercedes and have a basic house to have bad values and be rude people and they are highly educated? go figure
As to crime you have it in every area big or small its a part of life we have a lot of meth labs in our hills here when they go up in smoke look out. alot of people that now live here dont know about them because they dont report them in our paper.
I hope for you Blondie that i will call it your town that nice place in Utah doesnt turn into what we have experienced in California i didnt think that Temecula was going to turn that way in 90 but it did thats why in 90 I moved from San Fernando valley in 90 it was getting bad. I drive around our town and get cut off by a family friends son that just recently got his license how sad like mother like father be rude drive fast and care about no one but yourself. Im sad to say Cali we never be the same.
We have looked at other areas like Az, love the heat and water but very dirty fast growing and the fact that you can carry a weapon i thought would keep crime down but with talking to law enforcment its a bad deal cause you can carry a weapon but so can the gang bangers.... ha
Colorado is beatiful place with good scenery nice people but to cold for me
alot of Californians are going to NC but to far from family and 45 inches of rain hmmmm i dont know about that but i hear its a great place.
What attracted me to Utah was the people were nice the weather was similar to Temecula and the views where beautiful. I do realize that the housing is expensive but anymore unless you go to the east coast Ohio then prices out west are high we have no one else to blame but ourselves the banks and the builders pushing up prices.as far as the minimum wage i realize it is lower but to me that is not an issue I beleave you can make what you want to make anywhere you go if you put your mind to it put aside race religion and the minimum wage and be motivated and watch what happens. I do understand in certain professions if you go to Utah or any other smaller town you are not go to make as much but you dont have to have a degree to figure that one out.
For us going to Utah would mean cleaner air since where we leave in Riverside county is ranked as one of the worst in the United States next to New York city. secondly it would mean lower cost of housing and along with that lower wages a given. finally a safe place to raise a family there is crime in every town wheater you want to take note or not. most of the crime in a town is not reported on you would be suprised as im sure Blondies neighbor will tell you. I dont personally know what employment rode my kids will take but truthfully i would be happy if they sold shoes somewhere for minimum wage as long as thats what they wanted to do and it makes them happy. Ive meet alot of people in life being self employed rich poor and inbetween and 90% of the people are not happy weather it be at work or family or in there personal life. so as you would want your kids to be educated and have a good path what is most important to me is that they are happy.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:58 AM

Default The Above Post Was my Hubby!!!

I keep having him read all these posts and i ask questions and scenarios are put together, so he did his own!! (Scott)

Have a fabulous Day!!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 12:14 PM

CravenClan, both of you will do very well here. You may end up renting short run, but being in the construction field with part of what is needed to build a house, it wouldn't be a stretch for you to build. It would certainly be cheaper being your own contractor. Hell I wil come help mud drywall if you need it. I wield a wicked paint brush as well.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:39 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,438,988 times
How long does it take to drive from Los Angeles to St George and Salt Lake City?

Old 08-15-2007, 08:02 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,736,918 times
I'd say About 12 hours from SLC to LA, and about 6-7 hours from from St. George

Old 08-15-2007, 08:37 AM

I drive from St. George to Marina Del Rey a lot. I proved to my hubby who wouldn't believe me this past winter, that it takes 5 hours (if you time the rush hour traffic right) to get to Marian Del Rey from St. George, give or take 15 minutes. If you hit a traffic snarl in LA or even Vegas, it can throw that off. I don't break the speed limit much. I set the cruise control for 4 to 5 mph over the limit. I can also make it to SLC from here in less than 4 hours. Again it depends on what is happening traffic wise in the Provo area dn souther SLC valley. If there is construction or a storm, it can take a lot longer. Be warned the trafic is getting heavier. It is not crazy like So. Cal. but the truckers are a hazard when combined with the people around here that are oblivious drivers. So heavy traffic is not the problem, it is poor drivers that are the real threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George