Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 10:40 AM

5 posts, read 8,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Now if they were to open a Crate and Barrel, I would be in that mall alot more often
And I will be right there with you. I have yet to be able to figure out why we have a Pottery Barn (and PB Kids), but no C&B, when it would seem that the price-point of the latter is much more friendly to the Syracuse demographic.

Destiny has just turned out to be so disappointing. When the things I (and most people I know) are most excited about are chain restaurants, you know the project is a massive bust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 02:14 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I have the same feeling about 95% of the garbage "destination" tenants that have been announced. A 30 year PILOT for a TGI Fridays, Burlington Coat Factory, Dicks Sporting Goods and Popeyes. This should draw people from as far away as Lodi and Butternut Streets.
Respectfully , that is a very harsh and misleading characterization of Destiny. I am disheartened to read the persistent negativity, i.e. it is a "bust", or a "failure", or this or that, the bitterness is getting old guys. The packed parking lots and Canadians coming to the area to shop are a testimony that it is a success. Plus, the jobs created and sales taxes generated, etc. compensate (didn't say justify) for the misguided 30 year tax break. Destiny can be a "conduit" to entice shoppers to visit other attractions and destinations in the area that have emerged since the Destiny controversy began. Remember, Destiny was the only major project when it was annouced, there have been a lot of changes since then. I am not justifying the 30 year tax break, but there are exciting retail and entertainment venues opening in Destiny. It seems that those living outside the area are more excited about Destiny's existance than those living in the area. I certainly would not want to see oil tanks, scrap yards, and brownfields that once stood in its place.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 07-20-2012 at 02:26 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrosine View Post
I wonder if on August 2nd, when they do the "grand rebranding," if they will release some more impressive tenants. I have been thoroughly underwhelmed by all the new leases. At least they are doing some repainting in the old section of the mall. The green paint was always disgusting. Additionally, I hope they clean up the underground parking; it looks like the mall will collapse in soon.

Another tenant just left Shoppingtown . I can't help but think that this new mall is just simply consolidating the current retail picture in the area and not really adding stores.
Macerich Cos has really let Shoppingtown turn into a "sewer". I agree with you on the green paint at CC, yuck!

Old 07-20-2012, 02:42 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourire View Post
And I will be right there with you. I have yet to be able to figure out why we have a Pottery Barn (and PB Kids), but no C&B, when it would seem that the price-point of the latter is much more friendly to the Syracuse demographic.
Completely agree. PB has always seemed too "stuffy" for me. I'm more of a C&B kinda gal. Even though alot of their stuff can be on the expensive side, I see the overall as way more affordable than PB. I walk into a PB and feel like I'm going to break something... I walk into C&B and want to live in it. Just my preference I guess.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:14 PM

84 posts, read 124,961 times
I actually have little problem with the mall overall urbanplanner, but I do think that the public was mislead about how transformative it would be. I shop there with my girlfriend and I think the new addition is very nice looking on the inside and is improving on the outside. I suppose I'm just bitter about how the city spent so much energy on this mall when it would have been much better to focus on infrastructure or an overhaul of downtown. Only time will tell if the mall will really do a lot for the region.

Also, I feel that I should amend my last post. Loft moving isn't really applicable to my argument about Destiny consolidating retail. I think it is more indicative of how crappy Shoppingtown has gotten. I still worry that this mall is merely shuffling retailers around and is not adding much to the current shopping in the region.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I actually have little problem with the mall overall urbanplanner, but I do think that the public was mislead about how transformative it would be. I shop there with my girlfriend and I think the new addition is very nice looking on the inside and is improving on the outside. I suppose I'm just bitter about how the city spent so much energy on this mall when it would have been much better to focus on infrastructure or an overhaul of downtown. Only time will tell if the mall will really do a lot for the region.

Also, I feel that I should amend my last post. Loft moving isn't really applicable to my argument about Destiny consolidating retail. I think it is more indicative of how crappy Shoppingtown has gotten. I still worry that this mall is merely shuffling retailers around and is not adding much to the current shopping in the region.
No worries, never took Loft that way. I was also referring to how "crappy" Shoppingtown has gotten.

Regarding Destiny, I could not agree more. The City and Congel spent too much time on this mall, both on litigation and Congel for constantly morphing the project that wasted too much time and fueled skepticism. I think if he had built what he originally proposed, the community would have embraced it and the PILOT would not have been an issue. To be fair, the Citi reneage and the financial crisis did not help. Thirty year (30) PILOT aside, I think Syracuse is a better place for having Destiny, it is better than scrap yards, brownfields and oil tanks, and it attracts a lot of people from outside the area. I think Destiny was pitched as a silver bullet that was going to save the area, it should not have been.

I mentioned that the expansion was announced long before new housing develoment downtown, connective corridor, creekwalk, NWS initiative, growth in Armory Square and NWS. etc. Plus, the proposed COR inner-harbor development will go a long way in redeveloping the immediate area the right way. I do give credit to Congel for the redeveloping Franklin Square that has spawned development in inner-harbor.

Yes, I would like to have seen a Nordstroms, Neiman Marcus, IKEA, Cabela's, etc., and they may still come, but to ridicule what is there makes no sense. There are venues that we do not have in our area. I could understand if it were an empty hulk of a building that no one visited, but it is an attraction. All that aside, now should be a time to work together to make everything work together, not beat a "dead horse".

Old 07-23-2012, 01:10 PM

84 posts, read 124,961 times
A few more underwhelming tenants for DestinyUSA. Strangely no other news outlets are reporting this and I can't find this announcement on the DestinyUSA social media sites. It seems strange because the second story of the mall was not opened this weekend and these stores are suppose to be open on Friday, before the official rebranding.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:55 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,621,468 times
Quote:
A few more underwhelming tenants for DestinyUSA. Strangely no other news outlets are reporting this and I can't find this announcement on the DestinyUSA social media sites. It seems strange because the second story of the mall was not opened this weekend and these stores are suppose to be open on Friday, before the official rebranding.

LOL. Those "tenants" seem to fit the demographic immediately surrounding Carousel as well as Solvay and Lakeland very well. I wonder if these flim-flam artists will actually be operating their "businesses" out of kiosks or storefronts. The car place is looks like some shady business operated by a friend or relative of Congel. I've seen their annoying commercials on television. My previous predictions of a headshop, cellphone store, and pawn shop weren't so far fetched at all. It sounds like Congel has signed up a lot of the displaced shysters that were hawking their crapola at the now defunct Paradise Market on Erie Boulevard.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:11 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,463 times
Quote:
I think the Beauty Plus has been mentioned before (they already have a location in the mall). Underwhelming is an understatement on that list. Need a car buy a car? I can't think of much more ridiculous a place for such a thing.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:21 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,621,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
I think the Beauty Plus has been mentioned before (they already have a location in the mall). Underwhelming is an understatement on that list. Need a car buy a car? I can't think of much more ridiculous a place for such a thing.

I'd love to know what interest rate they charge the poor saps that need a car to get to work. Some of those no name used car places have predatory lending practices that charge interest rates near loan shark levels to people that can least afford it but are desperate for transportation. I'm sure there will be a captive audience and no shortage of down-on-your luck people that visit Carousel Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area