Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,617,694 times

Advertisements

I have not been to Fogo de Chao or Texas de Brazil. I have just been to a small place in Jersey and Turning Stone. I look forward to trying it even if it is a chain that most likely shops at Sysco.

Last edited by ToeJam; 08-01-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 10:21 AM

107 posts, read 219,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Very pleased with the latest addition of Texas de Brazil. Finally a Paleo option in Syracuse. There is a similar place at Turning Stone, but I tend to spend too much money when I go over there for after dinner entertainment.

Texas De Brazil | CHURRASCARIA
I freaking love these places! I've decided to hunger strike until it opens.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 AM

93,451 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Viva Texas De Brazil! Seriously, I agree that this is a good restaurant option. As much as I didn't mind going to Turning Stone, I'm down for taking a shorter trip.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:34 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,959 times
Quote:
Very pleased with the latest addition of Texas de Brazil. Finally a Paleo option in Syracuse. There is a similar place at Turning Stone, but I tend to spend too much money when I go over there for after dinner entertainment.

Texas De Brazil | CHURRASCARIA
So am I reading this right? It's basically a buffet type place? Upscale buffet it looks like. I'd be interested in trying it, but definitely not frequently since it looks like the dinner price is $46.99

Old 08-01-2012, 11:35 AM

Oh and that price doesn't include tax and gratuity. And you're not allowed to bring leftovers home (which I guess makes sense for a buffet type place)

Old 08-01-2012, 12:24 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,617,694 times
the salads and sides are buffet style only it is usually above buffet type food. Meat and cheese platters, seafood, veggies, and salads. Then there are side dishes that are brought to your table like rice, potato, and fried plantains. Then the fun begins. Men with swords of meat travel the dining room with different types of meat. They cut a portion for you and continue to walk the dining room. I would say there are usually 10 types of meat from just about every animal. They hope you fill up on the salad bar and it will cost less for the meat servings. It is more a dining experience than just grabbing a meal.

From the Fogo de Chao website:
Dining Experience

Step 1: Sit down, relax, and enjoy a drink while we explain the Fogo® dining experience.

Step 2: Visit our gourmet salad and sides bar. Enjoy over 30 items including fresh cut vegetables, imported cheeses, cured meats and Brazilian side dishes.

Step 3: Turn your card green side up, signaling that you are ready for our gaucho chefs to begin tableside service.

Step 4: Choose from the 15 cuts of delectable fire roasted meats that are brought to your table, sliced, and served by our gaucho chefs.

Step 5: When you are satisfied, flip the disc to the red side until you are ready for more offerings.

Step 6: If you wish, end the meal with one of our delicious desserts.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
the salads and sides are buffet style only it is usually above buffet type food. Meat and cheese platters, seafood, veggies, and salads. Then there are side dishes that are brought to your table like rice, potato, and or soup. Then the fun begins. Men with swords of meat travel the dining room with different types of meat. They cut a portion for you and continue to walk the dining room. I would say there are usually 10 types of meat from just about every animal. They hope you fill up on the salad bar and it will cost less for the meat servings. It is more a dining experience than just grabbing a meal.
Gotcha. I'll def check it out at some point since I've never been to a place like that before. Still got awhile, they're not opening until sometime next year

Looks like they're also opening up another one in Crossgates Mall, Albany

Last edited by Becca8377; 08-01-2012 at 12:45 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 12:58 PM

60 posts, read 131,480 times
Default Texas de Brazil is a favorite

We make a point of eating at TDB whenever possible. They start you off with their Brazilian cheese bread, which is spectacular. The buffet is very upscale with many, many good options (as a single data point, they offer manchego cheese, which is about $12-14 per lb at most stores). It's noteworthy that I generally dislike salad bars and buffets, so I'm hard to please and I would totally go there for the buffet alone. Of course, as a Rodizio-style restaurant, they have about 10(?) different meats on skewers.

My opinion...it's a destination-caliber restaurant a la Cheesecake Factory (which I don't like nearly as much, but seems to be a big draw).

Of course, all this is happening as I'm about to leave CNY...so jealous!

Old 08-01-2012, 03:08 PM

288 posts, read 510,566 times
Recently, heard destinys grand opening will be August 2nd, but haven't heard anything since. Does anyone know if this is still true?

Old 08-01-2012, 07:16 PM

845 posts, read 1,688,843 times
I've been to perhaps a half dozen different rodizio places in Newark's Ironbound district, dined at Churrasaria Plataforma in Manhattan a few times (good but way overpriced due to their overhead costs,) have been to Texas de Brazil a fonce and to the San Antoinio Foga de Chao on many occasions. I like Fogo de Chao as much as or more than any of them and although $46.99 seems like a lot... it is worth it for a special occasion dinner if you're a carnivore and go there hungry. Yes I love rodizio! Salad bar is usually upscale with excellent quality items. Some rodizio restaurants bring the meats to each table in a specific order, starting with the cheapest and most filling cuts (e.g. chicken legs, smoked sausage etc.) before gradually moving to the more costly meats. You can turn down any meat they bring to the table but must wait through the rotation to get to the better ones... and then wait through the rotation again if you want more of a specific cut (e.g. lamb, sirloin or tenderloin.) In my Fogo de Chao experience this never happened - they brought meats top the table with incredible regularity and I was able to get the cuts of my preference more often without long waits. I hope this proves to be the case with Texas de Brazil (my visits there were so many years ago that I can't recall how they do it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area