Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 08:07 PM

7 posts, read 9,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, how goes life all? Apologies if in the wrong thread.

So I currently been in the social services/mental health field for almost 5 years, think 6 years ha. Did about 3 years working with children (12-18 yrs olds), but for last 3 years been working with adults mostly. Enjoy my current field of work. I am kind of tapped at the top and little career growth unless I go back to school. I enjoy facilitating groups at work. Also enjoy interviewing patients helping them identify positive attributes of self and offer motivational feedback. Enjoy working with autistic individuals.

I have been trying for the last 3 years to be accepted into a nursing program to no avail. I wanna go back to school; I am a full time worker and healthcare doesn't offer the most flexible college programs.

Few years ago when I was laid off from work looked into teaching, but didn't consider it due to the requirements (Had to go back for my bachelor's degree to get into the Masters program kind of deal).

Found a few online programs for teaching and considering them.

What do you think have the best career outlook Special Education Teacher, Biology Teacher, or School Counselor? I am not sure how the online programs work if any part is offline; requested more info from the school's. The Counselor program looked into think it's a one weekend a month for 2 years requirement at their campus. I assume the rest do have internships included in their curriculum, but hoping be part time internships that be doable (Work 3 shifts/Rotating weekends/No set schedule). So flexibility is key ha!

I know Biology Teacher considering my experience working in the psych field. While taking my prerequisites for nursing really enjoyed Micro, Biology, Earth Science, AP, and Chemistry classes ha. Really enjoyed Chemistry.

If you survived this long reading this post appreciate the insight can offer up.

Thanks and Kind Regards! :-)
I was in social work and moved to Las Vegas and became part of their ARL program. I used my BS degree to be able to teach while I earned my masters. You have 3 years to get that done and there are several programs and that you can get it done in a year to a year and a half. So, you can teach your first year and not start your program until the second year to see if you like it. Las Vegas is desperate for teachers still, so if you can move temporarily at least, and go through their program it is worth it. You will get to work and get paid for teaching just as a first year teacher would. Then you can see if it is for you or not. I loved it,but many people left teaching because it is a much bigger challenge than many people expect. The hours are long and the work is draining. There is the same amount of paper work in teaching as there is in social work. I do not regret my choice to do this at all. Mississippi has a similar program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 07:09 PM

386 posts, read 327,078 times
3 out of 5 new teachers quit the teaching profession within 5 years

Old 04-07-2018, 07:56 PM

472 posts, read 347,741 times
I think it's great you want to enter the teacher field. We need enthusiastic teachers and people like you that want to enter the profession. However, be weary, even though you get summers off and vacations, it's not always easy. I've been teaching high school math close to 10 years and have thought about quitting more than once. There is the good and there are always the drawbacks. I think it's mostly good and want to stay in teaching. I think you will do well since you have such an interest. It's not always easy but my students are the best part of it, especially after they understand the material.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:00 PM

472 posts, read 347,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
3 out of 5 new teachers quit the teaching profession within 5 years
This couldn't be more than true. High demands from administration, frequent change of policy, student behavior, and the list could go on. It's not an "easy" career. In fact, last year, it seemed like it was July 1st or so before I felt completely normal. This was after being off for nearly 4 weeks during summer break. It can be very draining at times.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:32 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, how goes life all? Apologies if in the wrong thread.

So I currently been in the social services/mental health field for almost 5 years, think 6 years ha. Did about 3 years working with children (12-18 yrs olds), but for last 3 years been working with adults mostly. Enjoy my current field of work. I am kind of tapped at the top and little career growth unless I go back to school. I enjoy facilitating groups at work. Also enjoy interviewing patients helping them identify positive attributes of self and offer motivational feedback. Enjoy working with autistic individuals.

I have been trying for the last 3 years to be accepted into a nursing program to no avail. I wanna go back to school; I am a full time worker and healthcare doesn't offer the most flexible college programs.

Few years ago when I was laid off from work looked into teaching, but didn't consider it due to the requirements (Had to go back for my bachelor's degree to get into the Masters program kind of deal).

Found a few online programs for teaching and considering them.

What do you think have the best career outlook Special Education Teacher, Biology Teacher, or School Counselor? I am not sure how the online programs work if any part is offline; requested more info from the school's. The Counselor program looked into think it's a one weekend a month for 2 years requirement at their campus. I assume the rest do have internships included in their curriculum, but hoping be part time internships that be doable (Work 3 shifts/Rotating weekends/No set schedule). So flexibility is key ha!

I know Biology Teacher considering my experience working in the psych field. While taking my prerequisites for nursing really enjoyed Micro, Biology, Earth Science, AP, and Chemistry classes ha. Really enjoyed Chemistry.

If you survived this long reading this post appreciate the insight can offer up.

Thanks and Kind Regards! :-)

As long as you can live on $36K a year, being disrespected by kids, parents and admin, I fully support everyone who has the dream to become a teacher...

Old 04-15-2018, 07:09 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,619 times
Ask yourself if you really love being with kids all day. If you don't absolutely love kids, don't be a teacher. They will make you crazy. I know too many teachers that really don't like kids and they suck as teachers and are generally miserable in their job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching