Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2018, 08:13 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times

Advertisements

Hi, how goes life all? Apologies if in the wrong thread.

So I currently been in the social services/mental health field for almost 5 years, think 6 years ha. Did about 3 years working with children (12-18 yrs olds), but for last 3 years been working with adults mostly. Enjoy my current field of work. I am kind of tapped at the top and little career growth unless I go back to school. I enjoy facilitating groups at work. Also enjoy interviewing patients helping them identify positive attributes of self and offer motivational feedback. Enjoy working with autistic individuals.

I have been trying for the last 3 years to be accepted into a nursing program to no avail. I wanna go back to school; I am a full time worker and healthcare doesn't offer the most flexible college programs.

Few years ago when I was laid off from work looked into teaching, but didn't consider it due to the requirements (Had to go back for my bachelor's degree to get into the Masters program kind of deal).

Found a few online programs for teaching and considering them.

What do you think have the best career outlook Special Education Teacher, Biology Teacher, or School Counselor? I am not sure how the online programs work if any part is offline; requested more info from the school's. The Counselor program looked into think it's a one weekend a month for 2 years requirement at their campus. I assume the rest do have internships included in their curriculum, but hoping be part time internships that be doable (Work 3 shifts/Rotating weekends/No set schedule). So flexibility is key ha!

I know Biology Teacher considering my experience working in the psych field. While taking my prerequisites for nursing really enjoyed Micro, Biology, Earth Science, AP, and Chemistry classes ha. Really enjoyed Chemistry.

If you survived this long reading this post appreciate the insight can offer up.

Thanks and Kind Regards! :-)
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 09:52 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Try substitute teaching first to see if you enjoy it. Many people find that they don't...
Best of luck!

Old 04-05-2018, 11:16 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,885 times
You didn't say what your original degree is in...knowing that might give people more options to make suggestions.
I taught for 32 years, still have many friends in the field. Taught in great school districts with loads of administrative support. Even though it was a great run for me, I'm not sure I could or would do it again.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:05 PM

My current degree is in Justice and Law Administration.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:41 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,093 times
My wife’s first degree was in early childhood education and she taught for several years earlier in her life. Fast forward to a few years ago when she tried teaching again as a substitute. She said there is no way she would do that any more. Far too many PC rules, regulations, can’t stand the new teaching methods, too many parents are out of control and won’t accept any responsibility for their kids behavior and failures.

If you have nothing to compare it to, maybe it will seem OK to you. I agree with others here to give subbing or part time a try before you make a big commitment.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
I did the reverse...started in teaching, switched to mental health.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:59 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, how goes life all? Apologies if in the wrong thread.

So I currently been in the social services/mental health field for almost 5 years, think 6 years ha. Did about 3 years working with children (12-18 yrs olds), but for last 3 years been working with adults mostly. Enjoy my current field of work. I am kind of tapped at the top and little career growth unless I go back to school. I enjoy facilitating groups at work. Also enjoy interviewing patients helping them identify positive attributes of self and offer motivational feedback. Enjoy working with autistic individuals.

I have been trying for the last 3 years to be accepted into a nursing program to no avail. I wanna go back to school; I am a full time worker and healthcare doesn't offer the most flexible college programs.

Few years ago when I was laid off from work looked into teaching, but didn't consider it due to the requirements (Had to go back for my bachelor's degree to get into the Masters program kind of deal).

Found a few online programs for teaching and considering them.

What do you think have the best career outlook Special Education Teacher, Biology Teacher, or School Counselor? I am not sure how the online programs work if any part is offline; requested more info from the school's. The Counselor program looked into think it's a one weekend a month for 2 years requirement at their campus. I assume the rest do have internships included in their curriculum, but hoping be part time internships that be doable (Work 3 shifts/Rotating weekends/No set schedule). So flexibility is key ha!

I know Biology Teacher considering my experience working in the psych field. While taking my prerequisites for nursing really enjoyed Micro, Biology, Earth Science, AP, and Chemistry classes ha. Really enjoyed Chemistry.

If you survived this long reading this post appreciate the insight can offer up.

Thanks and Kind Regards! :-)
I'd just like to caution you about online options.

In some areas (school districts & fields of study), where you received that degree is just as important as the degree itself. Some schools would likely not hire someone who received their degree from Phoenix University (as an example) while they would from someone with a degree from a brick and mortar school. So for online programs, I suggest looking at ones offered by brick and mortar schools.

And give substitute teaching a try before you jump in feet first.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post

In some areas (school districts & fields of study), where you received that degree is just as important as the degree itself. Some schools would likely not hire someone who received their degree from Phoenix University (as an example) while they would from someone with a degree from a brick and mortar school. So for online programs, I suggest looking at ones offered by brick and mortar schools.

And give substitute teaching a try before you jump in feet first.
I've done para work before. Am looking for a sub job.

Only issue with area school's is you need a Masters to teach and need above a 3.0 was the new mandate by the State few years back. I have now after taking my prerequisites for nursing bumped my GPA up so do believe am eligible. Also the Cost is a bit steep $60,000 thousand on average for area programs. The Open House went to one program mentioned not much work, but guaranteed work in the Cities for 5 years guaranteed loan forgiveness interested me.

The only online programs are private in my State. Though do hear you with enrolling in a program within the State. Old colleague of mine found a job due to his internships being with that school system.

Last edited by RunD1987; 04-06-2018 at 09:12 AM..

Old 04-06-2018, 05:13 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,505,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Try substitute teaching first to see if you enjoy it. Many people find that they don't...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post

In some areas (school districts & fields of study), where you received that degree is just as important as the degree itself.
Agree with both of these points. Also consider-- if you do an online program, what does student teaching look like. Do you have to secure your own position? Are local teachers willing to be the cooperating teacher for that program? If there are no hands-on components during training, teachers are less likely to want that person in their classroom. Since you've been a para, you must already have a relationship with at least one school, which could work in your favor if they like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I've done para work before. Am looking for a sub job.

Only issue with area school's is you need a Masters to teach and need above a 3.0 was the new mandate by the State few years back. I have now after taking my prerequisites for nursing bumped my GPA up so do believe am eligible. Also the Cost is a bit steep $60,000 thousand on average for area programs. The Open House went to one program mentioned not much work, but guaranteed work in the Cities for 5 years guaranteed loan forgiveness interested me.

The only online programs are private in my State. Though do hear you with enrolling in a program within the State. Old colleague of mine found a job due to his internships being with that school system.
Glad these things are already on your radar. Have you looked at the cost of the online options in your area? Some online options are really pricey and much more than brick and mortar schools.

I'm not sure I understand the bolded-- the school at that program guaranteed you a job after graduation with guaranteed loan forgiveness? If so, that's an unusual guarantee.

I'd also really look into market for teachers in your area (or your intended area). Some markets are really competitive with no room for new talent. Other markets have room, but the pay is really terrible. Great teachers are always a commodity, but teaching positions vary widely depending on where you are; both in terms of the perks/pay and also the responsibilities. I was a teacher for years, preK-5, and a counselor after that, K-12. As a teacher in several different schools, I was responsible for teaching ALL specials areas (i.e., library, PE, music, art) in addition to all academic areas, which mean my 20 minutes lunch break was the only break all school day. I know people who get specials daily - more than once a day, even- and get planning time every day for 30-90 minutes. Very different expectations and responsibilities

In my experience, special education teachers are often in higher demand than biology teacher and definitely higher than school counselor. Many school counselor positions have been completely cut from schools. In some grades/areas, school counselors are more administrative than mental health/clinical workers. That means way less direct interaction with students which may not be what you are looking for. Science teachers are often in demand, but if you only want to be a biology teacher you might want to consider community college instead. If you go to high school, chances are good you will be expected to be proficient with and willing to teach other science subjects as well- especially if it's a smaller school.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Agree with both of these points. Also consider-- if you do an online program, what does student teaching look like. Do you have to secure your own position? Are local teachers willing to be the cooperating teacher for that program? If there are no hands-on components during training, teachers are less likely to want that person in their classroom. Since you've been a para, you must already have a relationship with at least one school, which could work in your favor if they like you.

Glad these things are already on your radar. Have you looked at the cost of the online options in your area? Some online options are really pricey and much more than brick and mortar schools.

I'm not sure I understand the bolded-- the school at that program guaranteed you a job after graduation with guaranteed loan forgiveness? If so, that's an unusual guarantee.

I'd also really look into market for teachers in your area (or your intended area). Some markets are really competitive with no room for new talent. Other markets have room, but the pay is really terrible. Great teachers are always a commodity, but teaching positions vary widely depending on where you are; both in terms of the perks/pay and also the responsibilities. I was a teacher for years, preK-5, and a counselor after that, K-12. As a teacher in several different schools, I was responsible for teaching ALL specials areas (i.e., library, PE, music, art) in addition to all academic areas, which mean my 20 minutes lunch break was the only break all school day. I know people who get specials daily - more than once a day, even- and get planning time every day for 30-90 minutes. Very different expectations and responsibilities

In my experience, special education teachers are often in higher demand than biology teacher and definitely higher than school counselor. Many school counselor positions have been completely cut from schools. In some grades/areas, school counselors are more administrative than mental health/clinical workers. That means way less direct interaction with students which may not be what you are looking for. Science teachers are often in demand, but if you only want to be a biology teacher you might want to consider community college instead. If you go to high school, chances are good you will be expected to be proficient with and willing to teach other science subjects as well- especially if it's a smaller school.
I probably look into SPEDS.

I say about 2 to 3 yrs ago went to an open house it was a super flexible program. The faculty presenting the open house were very negative from what I recall. Talked about limited job opportunities, won't be able to obtain a job until 4 to 5 years, and pay will be low. They talked about how some loans could be forgiven if you take work in the Cities in the State.

I don't know if I stay in my area wanna move somewhere warmer.

Online schools so far on paper are less expensive by almost 50 to 75 percent.

My wife mentioned LPCs are being cut in school's; wife subbed for awhile before becoming a nurse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching