Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 08:43 AM

6,567 posts, read 8,413,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let me ask a different question...as a retired principal:

How exactly do you suspend a student who is already at home?
How do you prevent them from participating in extra-curricular activities when there are none?
How do you prevent them from being on school property, when no students are on school property?

Maybe my state was different, but when we suspended a student, the student still had to be provided with supposedly comparable work to do while out of school.

Admittedly, I'm probably missing something here.
My school is on a hybrid schedule so those methods could be implemented still. However, we expect our students to follow school rules and procedures even when they are virtual.

My school is also not quick to expel a student so our senior administrators may not have a plan in place yet. We're a small school, and we are admittedly learning as we go during Covid times. The popular saying these days is "We're building a plane while flying it." and it's not just a cliche. We are literally implementing, revising, and innovating as we go along because our initial plans may not jive with nuanced reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 08:46 AM

6,567 posts, read 8,413,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old96 View Post
Probably a liberal indoctrination educator that was triggered by seeing it. Sad times.
"Sad times" are when children are literally committing suicide while live streaming on social media.

The educator was right to be concerned when they observed a child handling what appeared to be a firearm at an inappropriate time. The educator is also a mandatory reporter. If something were to happen to this child and the educator didn't report it - he faces the end of his career and possible criminal charges. School employees cannot look the other way when there is a concern about the safety of their students.

Last edited by HokieFan; 10-08-2020 at 09:01 AM..

Old 10-08-2020, 10:11 AM

50,917 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower_FL View Post
Between your response to my post and your retelling of the gang color story (which still sounds like it took place back in the 90's when I was a teenager every time I've read it), I think you're a bit out of touch in some areas. I have a lot of family in both school districts you were employed by, many that were graduates and/or former employees and some that are current students or empolyees.

You had wrote that students aren't allowed on campus and can't participate in extra-curricula activities in a remote learning environment. My point in bringing up that high school football has started back up here is that students learning remotely are coming to campus for football, student P/T trainer, equipment managing, cheerleading, band, color guard, ROTC, pep squad, choir, drill team (which is mostly unique to Texas), student council and most likely a host of other extra-curricula activities. Therefore if anyone of them got suspended for having an unloaded shotgun mounted on a wall of their house, they wouldn't be allowed to come to campus to participate in said activity. Based on your response feigning unawareness that Texas has schools, I'm guessing you came to a different conclusion.
Valid points. But you also have to remember my work in education was primarily at the middle school level.

Are you saying old folks don't get to state points of view?

Old 10-08-2020, 11:59 AM

19,870 posts, read 18,152,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
"Sad times" are when children are literally committing suicide while live streaming on social media.

The educator was right to be concerned when they observed a child handling what appeared to be a firearm at an inappropriate time. The educator is also a mandatory reporter. If something were to happen to this child and the educator didn't report it - he faces the end of his career and possible criminal charges. School employees cannot look the other way when there is a concern about the safety of their students.
Constitution be darned. Clearly we should send teachers or maybe social workers into homes for regular inspections........."PAPERS PLEASE!!!" can't be too far away.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:14 PM

102 posts, read 66,532 times
I did not read all the posts. Is this another case of blaming teachers for complying with regulations and rules implemented by a school board that was elected by the local populace? So if you do not like these regulations and rules, get yourself elected to the school board and change them.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Ta View Post
I did not read all the posts. Is this another case of blaming teachers for complying with regulations and rules implemented by a school board that was elected by the local populace? So if you do not like these regulations and rules, get yourself elected to the school board and change them.
Right......."the system made me do it."

This sort of thing is why we sent both our kids to private K-12. For myriad reasons I'm certain doing so was the best decision my wife and I have made on behalf of our kids.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:10 AM

45,472 posts, read 60,707,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Right......."the system made me do it."

This sort of thing is why we sent both our kids to private K-12. For myriad reasons I'm certain doing so was the best decision my wife and I have made on behalf of our kids.
What happens at your job if you don't follow management directives or legal requirements? If you don't follow them can you lose any certifications you have and even be criminally charged? Teachers can be when it comes to mandated reporting.

Newsflash: private school teachers work under the same mandated reporting requirements as public school teachers do.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What happens at your job if you don't follow management directives or legal requirements? If you don't follow them can you lose any certifications you have and even be criminally charged? Teachers can be when it comes to mandated reporting.

Newsflash: private school teachers work under the same mandated reporting requirements as public school teachers do.

I take your points. However, outside a 911 or EMS call, government employees are not welcome in my house in person or virtually ever without a warrant. The post office lady is welcomed to my front porch and that's it.

What's going on here is de jure encroachment onto privacy rights.

________

Reverse newsflash........even though my kids are beyond K-12 my wife and I are still involved with the kid's respective high schools. Both schools issued very detailed covid related video criteria in specific efforts to avoid encroaching on kid's/parents privacy.

*Kids/parents were instructed how to set up audio and video that would not gather much information from anyone other than students.
*Kids/parents are allowed to set up one way video if they prefer. Individual teachers have no say in the matter.
*Kids/parents who decide on two way video are told how to set up an acceptable video space.
*I'm quite confident that either shool would not call the cops over a bb-gun.

________

History is replete with great damage caused by government functionaries who were just doing their jobs.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:00 AM

45,472 posts, read 60,707,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I take your points. However, outside a 911 or EMS call, government employees are not welcome in my house in person or virtually ever without a warrant. The post office lady is welcomed to my front porch and that's it.

What's going on here is de jure encroachment onto privacy rights.

________

Reverse newsflash........even though my kids are beyond K-12 my wife and I are still involved with the kid's respective high schools. Both schools issued very detailed covid related video criteria in specific efforts to avoid encroaching on kid's/parents privacy.

*Kids/parents were instructed how to set up audio and video that would not gather much information from anyone other than students.
*Kids/parents are allowed to set up one way video if they prefer. Individual teachers have no say in the matter.
*Kids/parents who decide on two way video are told how to set up an acceptable video space.
*I'm quite confident that either shool would not call the cops over a bb-gun.

________

History is replete with great damage caused by government functionaries who were just doing their jobs.
And as I've asked prior, could you ID a BB gun seeing it for two seconds on a video monitor? I probably couldn't and I'm actually a gun guy.

As a teacher I would have a real problem with the one way video. One way a teacher gauges individual student's understanding is visually. Take that away and one major tool can't be used. It will then be teacher's fault for "not teaching right".

Besides, your kid is seen in a regular classroom.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And as I've asked prior, could you ID a BB gun seeing it for two seconds on a video monitor? I probably couldn't and I'm actually a gun guy.

As a teacher I would have a real problem with the one way video. One way a teacher gauges individual student's understanding is visually. Take that away and one major tool can't be used. It will then be teacher's fault for "not teaching right".

Besides, your kid is seen in a regular classroom.
As above you make solid, defensible points.

1. I am a gun guy too. I'd be able to distinguish between bb-guns and firearms almost always.

2. Your point about teachers using visual feedback from students seems utterly legitimate. The schools I'm talking about are populated with 95% very high achievers. Teachers are not going to be blamed for anything related to one way video.
2.1. I wish I could tell you the percentage of kids/parents who chose one way video.

3. Being seen in a regular classroom and being seen during an in-home class are two very different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching