Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 12:48 PM

45,433 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

https://www.thetrace.org/2019/05/airsoft-toy-gun-quiz/

Look at each for two seconds then answer. I'm saying two seconds because that's the time flash you'd likely see on a monitor, that's not taking into account poor video quality and distortion.

I got 5 of 7 but studied them for at least 15 seconds each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 06:08 PM

432 posts, read 761,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
A bit unfair to lump all educators together.

Seconded. I certainly wouldn't sweat it if there was a firearm in a private residence, so long as I didn't think that the student was actively in any danger from it.

Old 11-21-2020, 11:38 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times
Not requiring the kids to have the camera on cures most of this.

No camera =

+ no little brother/sister running through nekkid in the background.
+ no problem if student is still in pajamas.
+ nothing weird going on with pets.
+ no cross-culture issues on other students homes.

Lot more benefit to no cameras on the kids.

At close out of class -- last 1/2 hour or 15 minutes -- the kids that want to stick around and chat and visit turn their cameras on (or not), and we do the friendly stuff.

I do not tell the kids whether they should or not have their camera on -- I wrote the syllabus as "cameras optional, student choice." Most leave them off. My observation is that some of the high achievers and more friendly types turn theirs on for the entire class. Either way, all is fine, and no Teacher being a Karen is required.

Old 02-06-2021, 06:44 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,042 times
Here's a good solution: put up an opaque adult-height room divider behind the remote learning desk. Set it up behind the chair, surrounding it on three sides. Maybe stick some "woke" posters on it. Angle the laptop camera so it doesn't see above the divider. This way, all the teacher will see is the divider, the "woke" posters, and maybe the ceiling light. Not the big bad guns, not the inappropriately-dressed younger sibling, not the "offensive" decor on the walls, nothing. Possession is 9/10th of the law, after all. And with the divider blocking the proof of possession, the teacher has no ground to stand on.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:51 PM

4,395 posts, read 1,703,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Here's a good solution: put up an opaque adult-height room divider behind the remote learning desk. Set it up behind the chair, surrounding it on three sides. Maybe stick some "woke" posters on it. Angle the laptop camera so it doesn't see above the divider. This way, all the teacher will see is the divider, the "woke" posters, and maybe the ceiling light. Not the big bad guns, not the inappropriately-dressed younger sibling, not the "offensive" decor on the walls, nothing. Possession is 9/10th of the law, after all. And with the divider blocking the proof of possession, the teacher has no ground to stand on.
wouldn't it be easier to just lock up the gun?

Old 02-12-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
wouldn't it be easier to just lock up the gun?
Yes and no. The only thing a teacher should be seeing on Zoom is the student from the shoulders up. (Like a bust statue.) While your idea hides the gun itself, you never know what else the teacher might see and therefore retaliate against the student for. Like a hunting poster, a "Back the Blue" flag, an NRA magazine, etc. You can never be too safe.

My colleague, who's from Russia (USSR when he went to school there) told me a horror story. His teacher used to make unannounced visits to his home, to make sure he "lives his life like a student should" (read: in compliance with USSR's ideology). His parents never turned her away, fearing social shaming for doing so (read: having something to hide). She stopped short of doing an actual search. But if she saw something she didn't like, like bubble gum wrappers (she believed bubble gum is poison) or American video tapes (no need to explain), she could lower his grade for "student conduct" for the week, if not the whole quarter. Interestingly, he owned realistic toy guns and even a real cap gun, and she couldn't care less about those. Now, he jokes with me that he was more scared of his teacher than he was of the KGB.

He wasn't the only one. Teachers making unannounced home visits was fairly common around the USSR. Maybe not so much in major cites like Moscow (where the Western influence quietly leaked in), but definitely in smaller towns like where he lived. Oftentimes, teachers looked for things that went against their own personal beliefs, not just against the country's and/or the school's ideology, and penalized students for them.

Scarily, we're become a carbon copy of our former Cold War enemy, with Zoom being a counterpart of the telescreen from "1984". Pretty much the only difference is that we don't use a Cyrillic alphabet.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-12-2021 at 08:20 PM..

Old 02-14-2021, 07:23 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Oh? Texas has schools?
Hey!!!!!
My granddaughter (now in college at Tulsa University) attended school here in Texas from kindergarten and my grandson is now in 10th grade in Texas. LOL

Old 02-14-2021, 07:25 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Scarily, we're become a carbon copy of our former Cold War enemy, with Zoom being a counterpart of the telescreen from "1984". Pretty much the only difference is that we don't use a Cyrillic alphabet.
You are crazy if you think that we are becoming a carbon copy of the Soviet Union. Have you actually had any real involvement with a school here in the US?

Old 02-14-2021, 08:34 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Can't you use a background photo to keep the busybodies at bay? You could even have fun with it. For example, use one that makes the teacher think the kid is in a bar or use one with bars that makes the teacher think the kid is in a cage or one that makes the teacher think the kid is in the bathroom or one with the parents in the background that makes the teacher think the parents are watching them teach. Or, have a contest for the kids to come up with the best/funniest background photo.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You are crazy if you think that we are becoming a carbon copy of the Soviet Union. Have you actually had any real involvement with a school here in the US?
I call them as I see them. From what I see on the news about schools and teachers' actions, my statement is mostly correct.

I don't think I'd be allowed to work for a school in any capacity. Both due to my political beliefs (rightist) and my total lack of personal connections to important people in the school system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Can't you use a background photo to keep the busybodies at bay? You could even have fun with it. For example, use one that makes the teacher think the kid is in a bar or use one with bars that makes the teacher think the kid is in a cage or one that makes the teacher think the kid is in the bathroom or one with the parents in the background that makes the teacher think the parents are watching them teach. Or, have a contest for the kids to come up with the best/funniest background photo.
I have a better idea: How about the funniest Zoom filter? Like, have each student put on a filter of their favorite animal, particularly during a science class about mammals. Like that "I am not a cat!" lawyer. I think Zoom filter with animals and what-have-you also put up a plain white background.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-14-2021 at 08:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching