Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 04:43 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times

Advertisements

There have been several cases of teachers seeing a “gun” on a student’s screen and the student suspended. In one case police were called to the student’s home. In these cases they were air rifles or BB guns. What the hell! The student is within his or her own home. They didn’t bring guns to school. Shouldnt the faculty use a little discretion in handing out suspensions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 04:47 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,052,966 times
Yes ! The school has no business or authority to report any of these incidences. It's a perfect example of educators thinking that they are there to run the kids lives, in and out of school. Educators lost their common sense years ago.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:06 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Lawyer up and sue them back into the stone age! Of course out here in the West, if someone called the Sheriff to my house because they saw a gun on my screen, the Sheriff would probably tell them that unless they had any reason to think I was a prohibited person, what's their problem? Most houses have guns in them out here.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:21 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Here’s a local example
https://www.klfy.com/louisiana/landr...xSYHRcDiISG8Ws

https://www.klfy.com/top-stories-new...ns-punishment/

Old 09-29-2020, 05:31 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Yes ! The school has no business or authority to report any of these incidences. It's a perfect example of educators thinking that they are there to run the kids lives, in and out of school. Educators lost their common sense years ago.
A bit unfair to lump all educators together.

People seem crazier in every facet of life today. I think the biggest change has been the Internet which allows us to witness every foolish thing that occurs worldwide.

No doubt there have always been clueless people making stupid decisions. Their actions are just more visible today.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:41 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times

I would not think this crap would fly in Louisiana, the "Sportsman's Paradise" as it says on the car plates.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:59 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
There have been several cases of teachers seeing a “gun” on a student’s screen and the student suspended. In one case police were called to the student’s home. In these cases they were air rifles or BB guns. What the hell! The student is within his or her own home. They didn’t bring guns to school. Shouldnt the faculty use a little discretion in handing out suspensions?
A few things:
1) faculty, meaning teachers, don't "hand out suspensions", that's an Administrator task.
2) I defy the average person, including most who post here, to correctly ID a BB gun if they see it for a couple seconds on a video monitor.
https://www.airgundepot.com/realistic-air-pistols.html
3) as mandated reporters many, if not most, school systems are requiring teachers to report seeing weapons as well penises, breasts, vaginas and domestic violence during class sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Lawyer up and sue them back into the stone age! Of course out here in the West, if someone called the Sheriff to my house because they saw a gun on my screen, the Sheriff would probably tell them that unless they had any reason to think I was a prohibited person, what's their problem? Most houses have guns in them out here.
See number 3 above.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:19 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A few things:
1) faculty, meaning teachers, don't "hand out suspensions", that's an Administrator task.
2) I defy the average person, including most who post here, to correctly ID a BB gun if they see it for a couple seconds on a video monitor.
https://www.airgundepot.com/realistic-air-pistols.html
3) as mandated reporters many, if not most, school systems are requiring teachers to report seeing weapons as well penises, breasts, vaginas and domestic violence during class sessions

See number 3 above.
I agree with your points, NBP.

Pellet guns and even paintball guns can look like the real thing.

I think, too, it wasn't just that they saw a firearm - displayed on a wall or stored in a gun cabinet - the student was seen handling the gun during a virtual class.

I'm not convinced this instance is worthy of a suspension because there aren't a lot of details given but in my opinion, the teacher did the correct thing by notifying authorities as a mandatory reporter. Improper storing and mishandling of firearms with children in the home is a problem. Authorities should investigate to ensure the safety of the student and then be given a stern lecture on appropriate and inappropriate times to handle a weapon (and maybe a lesson on brandishing and how it's a crime in many (if not all) states).

Old 10-05-2020, 11:13 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post

I think, too, it wasn't just that they saw a firearm - displayed on a wall or stored in a gun cabinet - the student was seen handling the gun during a virtual class.

I'm not convinced this instance is worthy of a suspension because there aren't a lot of details given but in my opinion, the teacher did the correct thing by notifying authorities as a mandatory reporter. Improper storing and mishandling of firearms with children in the home is a problem. Authorities should investigate to ensure the safety of the student and then be given a stern lecture on appropriate and inappropriate times to handle a weapon (and maybe a lesson on brandishing and how it's a crime in many (if not all) states).

Agree 100%. I have a few airsofts that look virtually identical to the real thing. Over a video conference, no way would someone be able to tell the difference. I can place my Airsoft Sig P226 next to my real P226 and the average person will not be able to tell.

I also believe you are right in that in this case, the student was seen handling the gun. As a mandated reported, the teacher is legally obligated to report that. No different than if they witnessed sexual abuse going on, or a 10-year old student chugging a beer during the class. They have to report that type of thing.

Also, lets use a little common sense here. If your student is having a online, video learning assignment, perhaps as an active parent you might not want to let them play with their BB/Airsoft guns during the middle of class, especially considering kids have been suspended for biting a piece of toast into the shape of a gun in school. I like guns too, but you are not going to catch me cleaning an (legally owned) AR15 after a range trip while in the middle of a work-related zoom call.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 10-05-2020 at 11:27 AM..

Old 10-06-2020, 10:41 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I agree with your points, NBP.

Let me ask a different question...as a retired principal:

How exactly do you suspend a student who is already at home?
How do you prevent them from participating in extra-curricular activities when there are none?
How do you prevent them from being on school property, when no students are on school property?

Maybe my state was different, but when we suspended a student, the student still had to be provided with supposedly comparable work to do while out of school.

Admittedly, I'm probably missing something here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching