Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 11:42 AM

50,545 posts, read 47,347,813 times

Advertisements

I have a gun cabinet with a clear window that is right behind my kid's desk and not a peep. Probably because everyone knows I hunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 12:29 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,997,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I call them as I see them. From what I see on the news about schools and teachers' actions, my statement is mostly correct.

I don't think I'd be allowed to work for a school in any capacity. Both due to my political beliefs (rightist) and my total lack of personal connections to important people in the school system.

I have a better idea: How about the funniest Zoom filter? Like, have each student put on a filter of their favorite animal, particularly during a science class about mammals. Like that "I am not a cat!" lawyer. I think Zoom filter with animals and what-have-you also put up a plain white background.
The news portrays stories that are unusual not what schools are really like.

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/su...issues/2017/12

Forty three percent of the educators surveyed see themselves as “moderate.” The rest were slightly more likely to lean to the left than the right. Nearly 30 percent describe themselves as “liberal” or “very liberal.”

• Twenty seven percent view themselves as “conservative” or “very conservative.”

• Seventy percent give Republicans a “D” or an “F” for their handling of K-12 policy. Forty five percent give Democrats a “D” or “F.” Each party gets an “A” from only 1 percent of respondents.

I would imagine this differs by where you live as there are probably more conservative teachers here in Texas. Also, most teachers keep their political views out of the schools. I doubt if the kids have any idea of the political leanings of their math and science teachers.

None of my children or grandchilden were forced to adhere to their teachers views and none of their teachers discussed politics in any classes other than high school history.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:02 PM

51,133 posts, read 24,617,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The news portrays stories that are unusual not what schools are really like.

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/su...issues/2017/12

Forty three percent of the educators surveyed see themselves as “moderate.” The rest were slightly more likely to lean to the left than the right. Nearly 30 percent describe themselves as “liberal” or “very liberal.”

• Twenty seven percent view themselves as “conservative” or “very conservative.”

• Seventy percent give Republicans a “D” or an “F” for their handling of K-12 policy. Forty five percent give Democrats a “D” or “F.” Each party gets an “A” from only 1 percent of respondents.

I would imagine this differs by where you live as there are probably more conservative teachers here in Texas. Also, most teachers keep their political views out of the schools. I doubt if the kids have any idea of the political leanings of their math and science teachers.

None of my children or grandchilden were forced to adhere to their teachers views and none of their teachers discussed politics in any classes other than high school history.
Thank you for posting that information.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:11 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,260,440 times
In the follow up article posted, the story of what happened in LA is a sibling tripped over his daisy bb gun on the floor which he picked up and moved. The teacher agreed that that was what happened.

His administration wanted to expel him for having a bb gun in his own bedroom that he wasnt even messing with. It was reduced to a suspension but it says on his record that he had disciplinary action related to guns.

Now, I understand mandatory reporting, however the teacher, as the first line of defense for the school and for the student should be using their better judgement. He was clearly not brandishing the weapon, he was in no danger, noone else was in danger and she should have not reported it as a violation of the rules.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:30 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,444,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Yes and no. The only thing a teacher should be seeing on Zoom is the student from the shoulders up. (Like a bust statue.) While your idea hides the gun itself, you never know what else the teacher might see and therefore retaliate against the student for. Like a hunting poster, a "Back the Blue" flag, an NRA magazine, etc. You can never be too safe.

My colleague, who's from Russia (USSR when he went to school there) told me a horror story. His teacher used to make unannounced visits to his home, to make sure he "lives his life like a student should" (read: in compliance with USSR's ideology). His parents never turned her away, fearing social shaming for doing so (read: having something to hide). She stopped short of doing an actual search. But if she saw something she didn't like, like bubble gum wrappers (she believed bubble gum is poison) or American video tapes (no need to explain), she could lower his grade for "student conduct" for the week, if not the whole quarter. Interestingly, he owned realistic toy guns and even a real cap gun, and she couldn't care less about those. Now, he jokes with me that he was more scared of his teacher than he was of the KGB.

He wasn't the only one. Teachers making unannounced home visits was fairly common around the USSR. Maybe not so much in major cites like Moscow (where the Western influence quietly leaked in), but definitely in smaller towns like where he lived. Oftentimes, teachers looked for things that went against their own personal beliefs, not just against the country's and/or the school's ideology, and penalized students for them.

Scarily, we're become a carbon copy of our former Cold War enemy, with Zoom being a counterpart of the telescreen from "1984". Pretty much the only difference is that we don't use a Cyrillic alphabet.
Lol, that did not happen. This is the first time in my life I have heard such a thing, and I grew up in the USSR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching