Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 07:00 AM

6,365 posts, read 2,700,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Are you saying we should all fall in line with Texas?

"Texas landed at No. 40 on a new ranking of U.S. states based on their education levels. Researchers with online finance site WalletHub compared all 50 states across 18 metrics, including educational attainment, school quality and achievement gaps between genders and races. The Lone Star State is a bit of an outlier in the rankings. Texans' average level of education attainment is abysmal, putting the state second to last when it comes to the share of the population over 25 with a high-school diploma."
You quoted this article..
https://www.sacurrent.com/news/study...tates-31036003

For the Record...that's "education level" not the quality of education, which has many other factors outside of the education system. Even the report you quoted(but didn't link ) had Texas ranked 17th overall for quality.

Here is another report in terms of QUALITY of education, Texas is 19th Overall, and Oregon is almost at the bottom in the 46th position.

https://www.alecreportcard.org/state/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2023, 09:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post

For the Record...that's "education level" not the quality of education, which has many other factors outside of the education system. ..
Here is another report in terms of QUALITY of education, Texas is 19th Overall, and Oregon is almost at the bottom in the 46th position.

https://www.alecreportcard.org/state/
And Oregon can strike , they're passing out the placards today. (Including to students and parents). Why miss educational instruction time, when you can walk the picket line with your teacher?

One potential solution...
Outsource USA education

That process vastly improved (USA) automobile quality since the 1980's.

Old 10-31-2023, 10:03 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
FWIU, The teachers do not lose pay (annualized contracts), unless strike is beyond x days.

Lost Strike Days may be added to school yr (or fall within allowable annual hours, so no need to be made up)

Each district will have different rules / allocated days / make-up days, buffer days (Built in).

Our (2) local districts are not required to make up the strike days ~ 10 days. Teachers will get the annual agreed pay.
That's a broad statement. Under Talor Law, most teachers nationwide are forbidden to strike. The ones that are have their own rules, I'm sure.

Old 10-31-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
That's a broad statement. Under Talor Law, most teachers nationwide are forbidden to strike. The ones that are have their own rules, I'm sure.
Quote:
Each district will have different rules / allocated days / make-up days, buffer days (Built in)
And so it is.... Each district locally that has been on strike this yr.

As a $50k annual financier (for many years) of schools and teachers, we have our own recommended solutions, but are not asked, just mandated to contribute.

Old 10-31-2023, 11:00 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
If there is a difference between an individual employee and the union, who voted for the strike and would be walking the picket lines?
I'll try to get beyond the confusing sentence structure...

I was a union rep for a couple of years in Maryland. I never talked about union issues with students. I never used school supplies for any purpose related to being union rep. I never talked about union issues with parents at school. I never talked union issues with teachers during regular school hours, even when asked.

On the other hand, if a community member asked me about union issues outside of regular school hours and off school property, then we could talk. If I needed to run off a handout or something of that nature, it was not done with school materials or on school equipment. That was taken care of either at the union facility or by me at a copy store at my own expense.

I compartmentalized my roles.

Old 10-31-2023, 12:07 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
And so it is.... Each district locally that has been on strike this yr.

As a $50k annual financier (for many years) of schools and teachers, we have our own recommended solutions, but are not asked, just mandated to contribute.
Could you elaborate, please?

Old 10-31-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Could you elaborate, please?
Property taxes in (3) states who have VERY hungry (and poor performing) School districts.

As a 4th generation educator... we homeschooled, as did all my siblings and most of my peers.

YCMV

Since we lived internationally in several countries while with kids, (and hire technical and youthful workers for our USA and worldwide business interests) we have witnessed the excellent education available elsewhere.

Thank goodness!

I'll ask our western Europe teacher friends about teacher strikes, but they frequently take 1 yr sabbaticals, so they have a very different quality and expectation of life and career.

Old 11-01-2023, 03:56 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,116 times
Everyone should have the right to organize. Everyone can decide for themselves how they feel about that and if they want to participate. Simple as.

Old 11-01-2023, 04:03 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It's pretty obvious and well defined for those who have to follow that law already. But, in simple terms, things like:

a. The teacher sends home a note to parents about a school board election or a ballot issue recommending the parents vote for a particular candidate or a certain way on the issue.

b. Jane, a current teacher, runs for school board in the school district she works for.

c. You give an interview to the local news and say "My name is Phetaroi and I'm principal of Partisan Middle School. Parents need to vote Jane for school board."

Things that aren't:

a. A teacher, on their own time, volunteers to mail out flyers for a candidate.

b. You, on your own time, without mention of your job, say to your neighbors "I'm Phetaroi, your neighbor, and I'm supporting Jane for school board."

Things in a grey area:

a. John, spouse of current teacher Jane, runs for school board in the district his spouse works for.

When in doubt, get a formal approval from the ethics official. That's not unusual for those subject to the Hatch Act today. I had to get approval to run for HOA board (a non-political, non-government entity) as well as before accepting an appointed volunteer position to a couple of community boards for STEM education.

Not difficult at all to follow.
Wait, so can cops not run for sherif now? Can state prosecutors not run for attorney General? That's goofy. How do you expect to find experienced candidates?

I think the only one of those that would definitely not be acceptable is A.

Old 11-01-2023, 06:55 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Wait, so can cops not run for sherif now? Can state prosecutors not run for attorney General? That's goofy. How do you expect to find experienced candidates?

I think the only one of those that would definitely not be acceptable is A.
A teacher running for the board should at least have to resign as teacher or have a leave of absence if elected. In other words, she can't work for herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching