Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 07:50 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A teacher running for the board should at least have to resign as teacher or have a leave of absence if elected. In other words, she can't work for herself.
That's fairly standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 08:07 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A teacher running for the board should at least have to resign as teacher or have a leave of absence if elected. In other words, she can't work for herself.
I would agree with that, absolutely.

Old 11-01-2023, 10:35 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Wait, so can cops not run for sherif now? Can state prosecutors not run for attorney General? That's goofy. How do you expect to find experienced candidates?

I think the only one of those that would definitely not be acceptable is A.
Depends on the local and state laws for local elections. But under the Hatch Act for Federal Employees, that's exactly what it means. For any partisan election. To use a bit of a silly example, if the local dog catcher were an elected position in a partisan election, and I ran for that position while being a Federal employee, even if there were no conflict with my job, I can be charged and prosecuted under the Hatch Act. I have to quite my job before engaging in such political activity.

The penalty structure for violations of the Hatch Act by federal employees includes removal from federal service, reduction in grade, debarment from federal employment for a period not to exceed 5 years, suspension, reprimand, or a civil penalty not to exceed $1,000. (Office of Special Counsel)

My point on the local level is, if there isn't a local law like the Hatch Act, there should be. Consider if the local union rep of the Dogcatcher's International and an employee Dogpatch, were to be elected to the local governing board of Dogpatch. You then have a person who benefits from pay decisions making the pay decisions. Good ethics rules exist to prevent self serving elections.

Old 11-02-2023, 01:54 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
This thread is a great example of why Teachers need the ability to strike. The ignorance that is shown to Teachers and the Teaching profession in this thread is comical. Parents, adults pretend to care about Children's education but what is the first thing cut when the budget gets tight, well it's not the trash pick up! All due respect the public is filled with morons, people complain about Teachers and Police but when it comes to taking care of the people that take care of you and your children, ...you say to hell with them.

Old 12-01-2023, 02:42 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Just an update to all you anti Teacher out there, my Wife a kindergarten Teachers for 32 years and a former Teacher of the year is going to court this morning for the third time this year to testify(subpoena) about negligent parents( all three different kids), how much Teaching is she getting done and the school while paying her does not supply her a lawyer, that only happens when they sue the school itself.

Old 12-01-2023, 04:22 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
This thread is a great example of why Teachers need the ability to strike. The ignorance that is shown to Teachers and the Teaching profession in this thread is comical. Parents, adults pretend to care about Children's education but what is the first thing cut when the budget gets tight, well it's not the trash pick up! All due respect the public is filled with morons, people complain about Teachers and Police but when it comes to taking care of the people that take care of you and your children, ...you say to hell with them.

Unlike taking a job in an Appalachian coal mine because you're uneducated and have no marketable skills, people plan their education around a teaching career. It's always amazed me that so many go into a profession knowing they'll never be happy with the working conditions or pay.

Old 12-01-2023, 06:27 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Unlike taking a job in an Appalachian coal mine because you're uneducated and have no marketable skills, people plan their education around a teaching career. It's always amazed me that so many go into a profession knowing they'll never be happy with the working conditions or pay.
While the pay has not changed, the working conditions have drastically changed since I went into education.

Old 12-05-2023, 03:18 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
There is now a shortage thanks to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Well stated!

Old 12-05-2023, 03:22 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
And Oregon can strike , they're passing out the placards today. (Including to students and parents). Why miss educational instruction time, when you can walk the picket line with your teacher?

One potential solution...
Outsource USA education

That process vastly improved (USA) automobile quality since the 1980's.
You can't be serious.

Quote:
And so it is.... Each district locally that has been on strike this yr.

As a $50k annual financier (for many years) of schools and teachers, we have our own recommended solutions, but are not asked, just mandated to contribute.
Quote:
Property taxes in (3) states who have VERY hungry (and poor performing) School districts.

As a 4th generation educator... we homeschooled, as did all my siblings and most of my peers.

YCMV

Since we lived internationally in several countries while with kids, (and hire technical and youthful workers for our USA and worldwide business interests) we have witnessed the excellent education available elsewhere.

Thank goodness!

I'll ask our western Europe teacher friends about teacher strikes, but they frequently take 1 yr sabbaticals, so they have a very different quality and expectation of life and career.
So now you were in the education field? How are you a financier?

Old 12-05-2023, 05:30 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
You can't be serious.

So now you were in the education field? How are you a financier?
He says a lot of unusual and contradictory stuff here, I've mostly taken to ignoring it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching