Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:43 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,414,277 times

Advertisements

Wow, I've got the tv on in the background - and they are aring all of the "outburst".

I'm conflicted - CA is entitled to a fair trial (and yes, I do think she did it) and what this woman did is very serious but damn, the "outburster" seems to really have some issues (bipolar, on methadone, with a 3yo child, at the courthouse because her husband/bf? is in jail/going to jail).

I'm guess just really bothered that CNN chose to air the video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 10:57 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,490,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Glory I think the whole family comes across as dysfunctional at best and I cannot see how Cindy would be respected she raised that Casey and she is suspected of killing her own child , so I dont see how Cindy has much respect anywhere ,maybe in Orlando but not from what I have read in other parts of the country , Cindy is just as guilty as Casey IMO because Im sure she showed signs of not being right long before this Im sure .
You can't blame a parent for how the child turns out. You can teach them right from wrong but once they're adults, they shape who they are.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:28 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,549,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
You can't blame a parent for how the child turns out. You can teach them right from wrong but once they're adults, they shape who they are.
Perhaps 'blame' is not the correct term--I'm certain NG shares your belief; I don't.

I am certain that very soon we will hav a review of CA's life. I would absolutely be willing to wager that by middle school some behavioral issues were quite evident. If dad worked in law enforcement---it seems to me that alternative methods of resolving adolescent issues should have been available.

I have a friend in So FL who survived her daughter's transition from sweet, helpful nice girl to high school graduate. At one point she considered sending dd out of state to live with her brother.

It's all water under the dam now. There are many sad cases--families destroyed with regrets of all kinds--this one is excrucating to me. The family is 'average', certainly not perfect, most families aren't---somewhere, something went wrong and the result is profoundly tragic.

I've said this before, my friend's niece was/is a great deal like CA. The 'attitude'---oh, that attitude. For whatever reasons she managed a bit more self-restraint or somehow found some support along the way. There were several times that I wondered which direction she would go.

I hope they do move this trial along and wrap it up. Let justice be served and lessons learned if that is possible.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:37 PM

14,490 posts, read 26,654,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
NG was featured on GMA and the Today Show---she spoke about the difficulties in jury selection---the defense had asked specifically if jurors watched her show--or something like that.

She, of course, said that it was of no importance if her name was mentioned--her only concern is justice for Kaylee.

I suppose so---somehow her methods have turned me off.

I think CA will get the death penalty and it will be appealed for decades. jmo--a substantial basis for appeal will be found in the selection of the jury.

pure speculation--i wish someone with legal expertise and objectivity would provide insight---but if 'wishes were horses'.

I watch NG bcs I HATE CNN now with their economic coverage, but thats a different story....

Yes, Nancy is a bit pushy...but the other day when she was talking about the jury selection and "tot mom" making it all about her...etc...she did address the fact when talking to Paul Klaas from Klaaskids.org about how poor little Caylee the victims voice is lost ...which is true....anyone who has either been a victime of crime, or lost a loved one unnecessarily, or due to murder...I think Grace has a good niche.

I havent watched her show since 2008 but this trial is going to be very interesting, as she said yesterday, only two other women are currently on death row in Florida... and in Casey Anthony case this is the only murder case where the grandparents (of Caylee) are both victims....and parents of the defendant......

I do feel sorry for George Anthony. The daughter is clearly a psychopath, but the parents prolly tried to let Casey just do her own thing to keep the peace....Its a very sad situation....

Old 05-20-2011, 06:08 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,549,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I watch NG bcs I HATE CNN now with their economic coverage, but thats a different story....

Yes, Nancy is a bit pushy...but the other day when she was talking about the jury selection and "tot mom" making it all about her...etc...she did address the fact when talking to Paul Klaas from Klaaskids.org about how poor little Caylee the victims voice is lost ...which is true....anyone who has either been a victime of crime, or lost a loved one unnecessarily, or due to murder...I think Grace has a good niche.

I havent watched her show since 2008 but this trial is going to be very interesting, as she said yesterday, only two other women are currently on death row in Florida... and in Casey Anthony case this is the only murder case where the grandparents (of Caylee) are both victims....and parents of the defendant......

I do feel sorry for George Anthony. The daughter is clearly a psychopath, but the parents prolly tried to let Casey just do her own thing to keep the peace....Its a very sad situation....
I know but I taught and by golly, somewhere along the line 'somebody' had authority to get throught to Casey. If 'everybody' involved in her life has to take the stand and explain in detail what they did or did not do that will be fine with me. How many thousands of kids are there that might potentially end up in this situation.

If that is the 'greater goal' I can try to forge ahead. A wee bit weary of those who communicate with the public --like parents 'teaching' the lessons of life that we presumably don't understand?

So---even though I have never watched a single episode--'Teen Moms' or whatever they call it. 'Celebrity Interventions'--couldn't take much of that series. Thousands of Cop shows---shows about teenagers in prison. Almost every show that I ever try to watch is crime related or features 'dysfunctional' people, perpetuating dysfunction. Not too funny to me at this point in my life.

In my own extended family, 5 children of the Greatest Generation--7 or 8 grandchildren. 50% --turned out to be 'normal'--the parents had quite a bit to do with how the kids turned out--whatever may be true for the rest of the population, I cannot say. Some adaptation of the Duggar life seems to work, as far as I am concerned.

I wish HLN would tone down the drama --really and truly--the viewers 'get it'---it is reprehensible to treat the least of these without conscience. It is amoral.
Greta Van Sustern's approach to covering sensational crimes is more my style, fwiw. Give me the facts and I can take it from there.
$.02

Old 05-20-2011, 07:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,308,190 times
In case this hasn't already been noted:

Linda K. Baden and Michael Baden are husband and wife.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:22 PM

14,490 posts, read 26,654,175 times
takeaHike- I agree with you in a sense but many sociopaths can hide it for MANY years. Ted Bundy did. He was a law student. He was intelligent and crafty.

One of Caseys ex boyfriends (of about 20, lol) noted she was a diabolical liar. That sounds about right.

Dr Park Dietz:

Johns Hopkins Magazine - November 1994 Issue

has an excellent profile on people like this (he is a forensic psychiatrist not pop-psych. personality).

You cant really begin to say the system should have locked her up before it happened- there are no laws that would have allowed Cindy to merely commit her....same goes for teachers and 3rd parties. Its the law. Im not defending it, but thats the system we live in.

The parents prolly tried to get her to go to therapy, if she is a narcissist she will avoid going. Like addicts and psychopaths...they see the world the way they want to see it...not how it is. IMO Casey lives in her own world. You can see her acting out in court already. In her head its a mere inconvenience to her. She has no sense of right and wrong.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:45 PM

43,851 posts, read 51,399,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Glory I think the whole family comes across as dysfunctional at best and I cannot see how Cindy would be respected she raised that Casey and she is suspected of killing her own child , so I dont see how Cindy has much respect anywhere ,maybe in Orlando but not from what I have read in other parts of the country , Cindy is just as guilty as Casey IMO because Im sure she showed signs of not being right long before this Im sure .
I understand what you are saying, but Cindy tried on numerous occasions to get Casey to let them adopt the child or just keep the child in their home. During one of these arguments, Casey moved out and the child was never seen alive again.

I'm lucky in that my 21 year old daughter is a good mom. But if she wasn't, it would be almost impossible for me to get custody of her child unless she really abused him and I had positive proof. Even then, not only do they allow mothers to go to counseling, but as a grandmother, you could alienate your child to the point of never having access to your grandchild.

It is a very fine line many grandmothers have to teeter.

So I guess it is in that train of thought that I know Cindy Anthony had little power to stop anything. You can only raise your children, you can't control the way their genes come together.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:51 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,185,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I understand what you are saying, but Cindy tried on numerous occasions to get Casey to let them adopt the child or just keep the child in their home. During one of these arguments, Casey moved out and the child was never seen alive again.

I'm lucky in that my 21 year old daughter is a good mom. But if she wasn't, it would be almost impossible for me to get custody of her child unless she really abused him and I had positive proof. Even then, not only do they allow mothers to go to counseling, but as a grandmother, you could alienate your child to the point of never having access to your grandchild.

It is a very fine line many grandmothers have to teeter.

So I guess it is in that train of thought that I know Cindy Anthony had little power to stop anything. You can only raise your children, you can't control the way their genes come together.

This is true and I also understand what you are saying . I guess it is true that Casey lives in her own world . Im sure that George and Cindy are going through hell , they are the ones I have sympathy for not their daughter .

Old 05-21-2011, 04:54 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,185,060 times
I saw the outburst and let me tell you that woman is a mess and I cannot imagine this woman taking care of a child . She says she forgot to take her meds that am ?, I think dcf should pay a visit and make sure that child is okay and well taken care of . I cant see this woman cleaning a house or taking care of a child .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime