Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2021, 12:27 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,316,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
That video tells you pretty much nothing, just the expert stating that he's never heard of any of these people responsible for this latest report. And because he never heard of any of these people before, it was a huge red flag.

You have to read the full article on Rolling Stone itself:

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...heory-1238068/

He pretty much debunks the photo likeness theory.

His two strongest suspects for the Zodiac case are Arthur Leigh Allen and Richard Gaikowski.
I’d consider Don Cheney as well — Arthur Allen’s one-time friend. He seemed awfully knowledgeable about the case (in a suspicious sort of way), and he often changed his story to reflect new developments in and around the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 10:09 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,278,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I’d consider Don Cheney as well — Arthur Allen’s one-time friend. He seemed awfully knowledgeable about the case (in a suspicious sort of way), and he often changed his story to reflect new developments in and around the case.

He knew a lot because he suspected AA was Zodiac, which made him even more curious. I don't think Zodiac is even on the top 10 list of suspects.

Old 11-20-2021, 07:47 PM

927 posts, read 969,057 times
https://www.foxnews.com/us/zodiac-ki...dmine-evidence

I think this is a new link check it out. More info on Zodiac suspect poste.

Old 11-21-2021, 09:18 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider62 View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/us/zodiac-ki...dmine-evidence

I think this is a new link check it out. More info on Zodiac suspect poste.

I wanted to believe them.. But.. They haven't backed up anything that they've said.

They're starting to feel like the TIGHAR of the Zodiac case.

Old 11-21-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I wanted to believe them.. But.. They haven't backed up anything that they've said.

They're starting to feel like the TIGHAR of the Zodiac case.
Yeah, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this one plays out. There could be something here though.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:04 PM

752 posts, read 1,493,112 times
Sorry I am late to the party!
I find the Poste theory lately put about to be not credible. He was not Zodiac.

Now, as for the 340 cipher that was finally solved, and verified by FBI..that's huge. While the actual message uncovered is underwhelming, the fact that such an old cipher, that many said was either fake or hopelessly mangled by poor encryption, was finally solved and demonstrated to be such by some of the world's best cryptologists is quite something.

(basically by splitting the 340 cipher into three parts, as with the original, it was then solvable, albeit not the same exact way as the first in 1969). From the decrypted message, it is clear that Zodiac meant for that 340 cipher to be solved soon after publication and not 52 years later. But at least it demonstrates one and for all that it was NOT a fake cipher meant to induce a wild goose chase. It is yet another major clue revealed in such an old case.

Has anyone looked much into Joseph Newton Chandler aka Nichols?

Old 11-28-2021, 08:46 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin023 View Post
Sorry I am late to the party!
I find the Poste theory lately put about to be not credible. He was not Zodiac.
*IF* what they said is true, that his name is the key to decoding the cipher.. I think that's a slam dunk that they're right.

But, they announced all this at the start of October.. and have given no information to back up what they've said. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that it would take some time to validate.. But.. That time has passed.

Could it still have been him? Sure. It's no more crazy than the theory that the Unabomber was Zodiac.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:52 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
I read some information online, posted by some people who had linked Zodiac to the Unabomber. If they were right, it means he was finally caught.

Old 12-04-2021, 06:36 AM

752 posts, read 1,493,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
*IF* what they said is true, that his name is the key to decoding the cipher.. I think that's a slam dunk that they're right.

But, they announced all this at the start of October.. and have given no information to back up what they've said. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that it would take some time to validate.. But.. That time has passed.

Could it still have been him? Sure. It's no more crazy than the theory that the Unabomber was Zodiac.

I have never thought the Unabomber and Zodiac were connected. Two TOTALLY different kinds. Unabomber was politically/ideologically motivated crimes of terror basically, whereas the Zodiac was clearly targeting younger, middle class people for self gratification, and his huge ego forced him to make public announcements via the press. It is my first belief that Zodiac still remains unidentified.

Personally, I think Joseph Newton Chandler (aka Robert Ivan Nichols) should be looked at more as a potential Zodiac suspect.

Old 12-04-2021, 01:04 PM

He did live in the area. Never heard of him until now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose...n_Chandler_III
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime