Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 02:01 AM

26 posts, read 8,492 times

Advertisements

They found the East Area Rapist (Golden State Killer) after almost 50 years. It's possible they could also find Zodiac in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 02:03 AM

26 posts, read 8,492 times
Zodiac scares crap out of me. EAR did not at the time, I was only about 14, but what I know now about him, he was terrifying and his territory was like a circle around my house only about 2 streets wide. He seemed to only like older ladies, but now I know he hit 13 year old girls too. And he was tromping all over so many houses that never made it to the papers.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:59 PM

754 posts, read 1,498,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettOHara123 View Post
They found the East Area Rapist (Golden State Killer) after almost 50 years. It's possible they could also find Zodiac in my lifetime.
We can thank the wonderful concept of Genetic Genealogy for solving, or shedding new light, on dead cold cases.
The East Area Rapist/Orginal Night Stalker (James DeAngelo) left a good amount of dna at crime scenes, namely semen.
Unfortunately, in the Zodiac case, there was never much physical evidence to work with aside from the letters he sent to police and newspapers. I think the only things Zodiac touched that were recovered were some pre-cut lengths of rope or twine used at the Lake Berryessa murder/stabbing, a torn-off piece of Paul Stine's shirt that was removed from his body immediately after the shooting and then sent to the Chronicle and perhaps the bloody handprint on the door-jam of Paul Stine's cab.

Otherwise Zodiac killed his victims mostly by shooting them without touching them or leaving anything else behind, except for the known items listed above....and a few very traumatized survivors with limited confidence as to what Zodiac looked--or sounded-- like.

Maybe new forensic technology can eventually make better use of degraded DNA that was found on some of the letter envelopes (ie licked back of stamps, flap seal and such) or other still extant evidence.

(FYI, back in 2002-03, some of the Zodiac letters that were 'confirmed' genuine by modern experts were tested for DNA on seal flaps, back of stamps: only some yielded DNA at all and a few more none, which suggested a water pen might have been used in those cases. The DNA that was found on those letters included one from 1969 and unfortunately, the 1978 fake was somehow included and deemed genuine! The 1978 letter yielded good DNA by the way, yet the 1969 letters had very degraded DNA, thus making it not usable for comparison purposes).

Old 02-04-2022, 01:53 PM

17,642 posts, read 15,332,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Using these criteria, we can't rule out Julia Childs or Mr Rogers either.

Well, we can rule out Mr Rogers. He was on TV in Pittsburgh, unless we want to say Mr Rogers hopped a plane from Pittsburgh to fly out to murder some people in CA. And wasn't Julia Child in France at the time?

Old 02-04-2022, 09:13 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,314,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well, we can rule out Mr Rogers. He was on TV in Pittsburgh, unless we want to say Mr Rogers hopped a plane from Pittsburgh to fly out to murder some people in CA. And wasn't Julia Child in France at the time?

How do we know where they were at the exact times of the murders? I think that is the standard of proof in this forum. If you can't prove someone is innocent they are suspects, even if they may have been in Pittsburgh or France. There are also several million people who we know were in California at the time, and we can't rule them out using the guilty until proven innocent principle.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:19 PM

162 posts, read 76,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettOHara123 View Post
Zodiac scares crap out of me. EAR did not at the time, I was only about 14, but what I know now about him, he was terrifying and his territory was like a circle around my house only about 2 streets wide. He seemed to only like older ladies, but now I know he hit 13 year old girls too. And he was tromping all over so many houses that never made it to the papers.
Sesame Street scared the carp out of me, and I was nearly 12 when it came out. I thought the whole Zodiac thing was sort of funny. You know, like what are the odds of Zodiac murdering me, like 10 million to one?

Old 02-05-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkyd View Post
Sesame Street scared the carp out of me, and I was nearly 12 when it came out. I thought the whole Zodiac thing was sort of funny. You know, like what are the odds of Zodiac murdering me, like 10 million to one?

And where was Cookie Monster the night of the murders, hmmmmmm?

Old 02-06-2022, 03:46 PM

17,642 posts, read 15,332,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
How do we know where they were at the exact times of the murders? I think that is the standard of proof in this forum. If you can't prove someone is innocent they are suspects, even if they may have been in Pittsburgh or France. There are also several million people who we know were in California at the time, and we can't rule them out using the guilty until proven innocent principle.

If they were within several hours.. They are suspects to me. Everyone is a suspect until they're cleared.

Here's the point. If you eliminate people because you just don't think it could be them.. OR you focus on one person..

This happens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centen...c_Park_bombing

Old 02-07-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If they were within several hours.. They are suspects to me. Everyone is a suspect until they're cleared.

Here's the point. If you eliminate people because you just don't think it could be them.. OR you focus on one person..

This happens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centen...c_Park_bombing

Um, ask Jewell how he feels about that. Good choice of murders, but for all the wrong reasons. People are innocent until proven guilty in this country, or are supposed to me.

Old 02-07-2022, 07:14 PM

928 posts, read 972,686 times
https://www.10news.com/news/local-ne...e-in-cold-case

I posted this a long time ago. I don't think many readers gave it much attention. I firmly believe Zodiac is responsible for this one. It would have been his first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime