Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
What makes you so sure? What traits did he have that made him suspicious? Where did he perfect his quirky, defiant skills? What troubled him?

If he is, why haven't they closed the case?
robert (can't remember the spelling) maghew, one of the victims who survived, positively identified allen out of a lineup. they were literally planning on bringing him in, and the guy had a heart attack.

the last few replies are people saying, "gah, its just a theory". i would very much like you to refute the evidence in arthur leigh allen's favor and try and convince me. i am open to the possibility. but the overPOWERING amount of circumstantial evidence, which could go on for pages and pages and pages (had a knife and blood in his car on the day of the lake berryesa killings, knew code, told friends he was gonna kill people and call himself the zodiac, had a limp/shuffled which matched the description of the guy stopped by cops at the presidio after the stein killing, shall i go on? ) is a little overwhelming to simply say its some sort of vendetta by graysmith or that he was grasping at straws. ANYONE investigating this case who would have ignored allen would have been useless as a detective. period. dave toschi and others involved in the case feel like he was the one. personally i trust detectives who were there more than armchair criminologists, but i would love to hear your theories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 10:03 PM

sorry to overpost, but i was just reading something re. the zodiac, and i was shocked to learn this-
"a former SFPD lab technician who tested various confirmed and suspected Zodiac letters for DNA around 1998....told Lafferty that the authentic letters had too few DNA cells to create a profile. Maloney told Lafferty that the 2002 partial DNA profile was not valid. Lafferty's revelations here reiterate what Mike Rodelli and a number of other researchers have been asserting for a while now: the partial DNA profile that was used to eliminate certain suspects is flawed and thus useless. "

the DNA is the one thing that people have used the most to discount ALA. the handprint, as i have said, most likely does NOT belong to him. handwriting matches could be wiggled out of due to his being ambidextrous. still wanting to hear any other evidence that anyone has dug up in opposition of ALA!

Old 09-19-2012, 01:52 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Is the Zodiac case, at this point, open or closed? Are there other people still "working" on it?

Old 09-19-2012, 07:54 PM

it is still an open case.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
it is still an open case.
Interesting. That means resources are still allocated to it. That must be a frustrating job.

I've read stories in local papers where some criminologists are obsessed with obtaining "closure" on an unsolved crime, making it a project they won't let go of even with other assignments, and then a weird, and required, break or clue comes in.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:50 AM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
It was Scorpio...why do you think it was called Zodiac Killer, Libra was to passive...

Old 09-20-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
It was Scorpio...why do you think it was called Zodiac Killer, Libra was to passive...
Scorpio was actually the killer in the movie "Dirty Harry" with Clint Eastwood, and I also believe it was set in the Bay Area. It was loosely based on the Zodiac.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Interesting. That means resources are still allocated to it. That must be a frustrating job.

I've read stories in local papers where some criminologists are obsessed with obtaining "closure" on an unsolved crime, making it a project they won't let go of even with other assignments, and then a weird, and required, break or clue comes in.
well, "open" doesn't mean they are allocating a whole bunch of resources, i would think. by open, that means its probably tucked away in a file marked "unsolved", and is, in theory, still open, but i doubt Napa or SFPD or any of the other forces involved are actively pursuing the case. but you are right, there is probably someone in law enforcement who is pursuing it, on his or her own, on their own time, and driving themselves insane in the process. it has to be stressful. hell, i freak out if i can't find my keys. imagine being one of those guys, working a cold case, or worse, working a still active unsolved case where any minute, you might get another victim. you have to have a big brass pair to be a detective, for sure, at least anywhere near a major city, and certainly anywhere in california (where weird crimes seem to happen just about everywhere). that's why detectives are my heroes. that job would give me a nervous breakdown.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:00 PM

128 posts, read 267,829 times
I do believe it was A.L.A.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:05 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times
It still an open case but according to some LE in Northern Cal. its really no longer allocated any investigation. No statute of limitations on murder if you can prove who did it.

A detective who worked on the case in 1969/70 had some interesting theories on the hood and disguise. One mentioned that of the list of over 1000 suspects, the person is prolly still on there, but was dismissed earlier by LE in Vallejo.

Very bizarre case. Library of case correspondence and the Halloween card:

Zodiackillercom :: View Forum - Oct. 27, 1970 Halloween Card
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime