Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 07:03 PM

117 posts, read 110,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Just from watching the documentaries on her trial ;I would definite question Italian justice and the power of their prosecutors thus evidence in this case. If you ever look at the murder cases this guy handled he even charged a writer in the case of a murder after his book came out. Power beyond anything we are use to in US.
He didn't charge the writer, Doug Preston, of anything.

He questioned Doug Preston about planting evidence to support his and his co-author's theory of who the killer was in the the Monster of Florence murders. They had wiretaps that indicated they were planting evidence. That is a serious thing. His co-author is facing 3 criminal charges in Italy now.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:04 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
I think she is innocent.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:04 PM

The Murder of Meredith Kercher

here is why she's guilty

Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
This will go on for years. Political stances will probably decide this, not legal.

The Italians will probably ask for concessions from the US here, and the US will comply. Allies, afterall. Amanda doesn't have a whole lot to worry about, IMO. Especially in a democratic administration. A big story on the surface, but deep down we know this will turn out well for Amanda. Too bad she has to go through all this, though.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I wonder what will happen now other than an appeal and her staying here....I assume a warrant for her arrest will be issued and what will Obama do...?
From what I've read there is next to zero chance we'll extradite her, and rightfully so.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:51 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,495 times
It's neat and all that people don't like her or how she sounds or what she says, but there's not one shred of DNA evidence against her.

The man convicted of murder, Rudy Guede, initially said no one else was there when Kercher was killed, there are no telephone or text records linking Guede and Knox, and Guede left a bloody hand print, bloody fingerprints, and a bloody footprint in the apartment (not to mention his poop in the toilet), and there were NO bloody fingerprints, hand prints, or foot/shoe prints from Knox.

The police seriously messed up in the collection of evidence, wiping blood away with rags, moving objects around the room multiple times, not bothering to collect a "key" piece of evidence (the bra) until six weeks after the crime, using dirty gloves to test evidence, and not storing evidence properly.

Guede was someone who regularly broke into homes and businesses, and was caught after breaking into a school, carrying an 11" knife, a week before the murder of Meredith. Oh, and I don't think it's a coincidence that his sentence was reduced by 13 years only after he implicated Knox (which was only after the prosecutor talked to him a long time, and only after he had already said that Knox hadn't been in the apartment). And there was no reason for him to protect Knox - again, there were no telephone/text records linking them, and Guede hadn't even been in Italy for more than a week.

The evidence does NOT support a conviction of Knox, and if this trial had taken place in America, there is no way she would have been convicted, because there is PLENTY of reasonable doubt.

The US won't extradite. It's against the constitution to have double jeopardy - you can't be found not guilty of a crime and then recharged with that same crime until prosecutors get what they want. And I don't think the US would decide that Italy's justice system outweighs the constitution when it comes to an American citizen's rights. There are plenty of other countries that won't extradite their citizens to the US (for instance, pretty much any country that doesn't believe in the death penalty, where they think it may be applied to the person being extradited), so it's not as if the US would be committing some giant faux pas by not extraditing her.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:56 PM

there was DNA evidence against her. Her DNA mixed with the victim's in 4 different spots in the house. Knox and the victim had to be bleeding at the same time for this happen.

Her DNA was found on the knife at her boyfriend's apartment, and the knife had the victim's DNA on the blade.

Also, her boyfriend's DNA was found on the victim's bra clasp and only Knox could have let him into the house so it is essentially her DNA too.

They found both their footprints in the house in the hallway using Luminol, they had been wiped away. Luminol is a test for blood. Knox's DNA was in these footprints.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:57 PM

she will be extradited, we have a treaty with Italy. VIolating treaties makes us a liar.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I just don't ever want a jury of my peers to come from Pinellas County, Florida.
I don't know why not. Not only did they acquit Casey Anthony, they (by the prosecution's own admission) refused to be moved by the attempts to draw on their emotions.

I sure wouldn't have a problem being tried by them.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggshall View Post
she will be extradited, we have a treaty with Italy. VIolating treaties makes us a liar.
Sorry, it's not that simple.

Quote:
Will Knox be extradited to Italy if she’s convicted?

Even if Knox is convicted for good, Robert Anello, a New York City lawyer who has dealt with extraditions in the past, says there’s less than a 50% chance the American would be delivered to Italy. On paper, the U.S. does have an extradition treaty with Italy that requires the U.S. to hand over American citizens, if asked. But that’s a big if. And if the Italians were to make the request, they would face two potential hurdles, says Anello. First, the U.S. government could find legal arguments, including the previous acquittal verdict, to oppose extradition. Second, even if the U.S. agrees, Knox could try to block extradition in American courts, and “double jeopardy” could again come into play.

Read more: Amanda Knox Explainer: Trial Begins in Italy for the Third Time | TIME.com Amanda Knox Explainer: Trial Begins in Italy for the Third Time | TIME.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.