Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 04:56 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,499,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Actually, it makes perfect sense for the parents to have written the ransom note - it was the red herring that diverted suspicion away from them. If they had just put JBR's body in the basement, then called the police in the morning & said that their daughter was missing they would have looked VERY guilty once the body was found.

So, by writing the ransom note (which is what I believe they did), they made it look like an outside person/persons had been in the house & that the horrible crime was a kidnapping that went bad.

Note that if genuine kidnappers had written the note, they would have removed the note prior to leaving the house. Obviously, JBR was dead so they wouldn't get any money. So, there would be no purpose to leaving the note, especially since it was an obvious clue that could be analyzed & possibly tied back to whoever wrote it.

The ransom note initially made the Boulder LE think that kidnappers did exist & were holding JBR for ransom. So, when the body of JBR was finally found (later that day) LE had already been thinking that this was a kidnapping - so, it wasn't that much of a stretch for them to believe that the would-be kidnappers had accidentally killed JBR, then left her body in the basement. Conversely, if there had been no note from the beginning, suspicion would have fallen DIRECTLY on the parents immediately.

Here's some interesting links re: the note:

Disguised Handwriting: Unmasking The Ramsey Ransom Note - Expert Handwriting AnalysisExpert Handwriting Analysis

Analysis Of The JonBenet Ramsey Ransom Note

So, why did Boulder LE buy that the note was real, when there were so many clues that it was fake? Well, some of them did think it was fake. I believe that the Ramsey's were never charged with anything re: this crime both because of their extreme wealth & because Boulder LE didn't want anyone to think such a horrific crime could happen in their fair city.
Wow. With all due respect, this makes so little sense, I'm not sure where to begin. If "they" did it, they would've had no reason to leave the body in the house at all.

You've got this all backwards. Rather than serve as a diversion, the note is precisely what put suspicion directly on the parents!

Old 04-23-2016, 08:20 AM

26,905 posts, read 27,108,918 times
Quote:
I don't understand this line of reasoning. If it was proven that she did suffer blunt force trauma, then how can it be "pretty clear" that no one in the family hit her?
Sorry; should have said, "very clear."

There was no physical evidence linking any of the Ramseys to the homicide. DNA found on JonBenet's clothing revealed the presence of an unknown male. In addition, there was no reasonable motive for the Ramseys to kill their daughter, which was probably the only part of this crime that was thoroughly investigated.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:15 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,189,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Wow. With all due respect, this makes so little sense, I'm not sure where to begin. If "they" did it, they would've had no reason to leave the body in the house at all.

You've got this all backwards. Rather than serve as a diversion, the note is precisely what put suspicion directly on the parents!
What I posted makes perfect sense to me, but I guess it's because of the way I'm looking at this:

The reason the R's left the body in the basement is because they didn't have time to move it anywhere else. So, they were probably in a rush as to what to do & didn't think or have time to move anything.

I never said the R.'s had a motive to kill JBR. You're right - there was no motive. Even though I think the parents did this, I am fairly certain this was not premeditated or planned - I do believe it was an accident, and have always believed that.

Yes, you're right about the note putting suspicion on the parents. However, there was still that reasonable doubt there because at least some of the authorities initially thought that maybe the note might have been real. If there had been no note & with the body being found in the basement, the suspicion would have fallen directly on the parents - without there being any other "scapegoat". At least with the note it looked initially like someone other than the family was involved.

The bottom line is this: If you believe that another party (other than someone in the family) wrote the note then you'll believe the parents are innocent. Conversely, If you believe the parents wrote the note, then you must believe they are guilty of, at the least, covering up the crime &, at most, of committing the crime.

I can't explain the DNA found on JBR's clothes; there are a myriad of possibilities. And, this still doesn't mean that the family is innocent of her death. I do remember reading in one of the True Crime JBR books that, even at age 6, she had issues with going to the bathroom & needed help - and would sometimes ask people she didn't know well for help.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Actually, it makes perfect sense for the parents to have written the ransom note - Here's some interesting links re: the note:

http://www.experthandwritinganalysis...y-ransom-note/
Your link is to the same independent document examiner, Brenda Anderson, Forensic Handwriting Expert, who does not believe that either of the Ramseys wrote the RN.

She writes, "Four pages of Patsy’s notebook were never found. (Also not found was the duct tape roll, etc.) Why didn’t they dispose of the entire notebook instead of handing it over to the police? Why leave the one practice page with the all-too-obvious “Mr. and Mrs. R”? Why was the handwriting patched up to resemble Patsy’s handwriting? Patsy’s genuine handwriting was present in the front of the notebook (see the manuscript ‘a’ section in ‘Part 1: Unmasking the JonBenet Ramsey Note’.) It does not make sense that Mr. or Mrs. Ramsey would write the note using a heavy disguise, and then patch some of the letters to form a trait that was, at the time in 1996, unique to a small percentage of the female population – and one that she herself possessed intermittently. The use of the manuscript-style ‘a’ is female trait. If you look closely at the ‘a’s in the note, the letter is created with a loop and a terminal post and then the cap is added lastly. This is evidence that the letters were patched, or altered by the writer as an afterthought. Also, if the Ramseys collaborated on the note, why not make it short and to the point? I think the note was so lengthy because the writer wanted to point the finger in as many directions as possible. Why would they sprinkle it with language that “sounded” like Patsy? Anonymous writers usually try to direct the blame away from themselves by mimicking someone else."

Old 04-23-2016, 04:53 PM

I didn't say I agreed with the writer in the link I provided; actually, when I first read the article I thought she was implying the parents did write the note.

Also, my link was more for the comments that were posted under the article, not the article itself - I should have made that more clear.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:27 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,499,911 times
Quote:
What I posted makes perfect sense to me, but I guess it's because of the way I'm looking at this:

The reason the R's left the body in the basement is because they didn't have time to move it anywhere else. So, they were probably in a rush as to what to do & didn't think or have time to move anything.

I never said the R.'s had a motive to kill JBR. You're right - there was no motive. Even though I think the parents did this, I am fairly certain this was not premeditated or planned - I do believe it was an accident, and have always believed that.

Yes, you're right about the note putting suspicion on the parents. However, there was still that reasonable doubt there because at least some of the authorities initially thought that maybe the note might have been real. If there had been no note & with the body being found in the basement, the suspicion would have fallen directly on the parents - without there being any other "scapegoat". At least with the note it looked initially like someone other than the family was involved.

The bottom line is this: If you believe that another party (other than someone in the family) wrote the note then you'll believe the parents are innocent. Conversely, If you believe the parents wrote the note, then you must believe they are guilty of, at the least, covering up the crime &, at most, of committing the crime.

I can't explain the DNA found on JBR's clothes; there are a myriad of possibilities. And, this still doesn't mean that the family is innocent of her death. I do remember reading in one of the True Crime JBR books that, even at age 6, she had issues with going to the bathroom & needed help - and would sometimes ask people she didn't know well for help.
"They" together, would've had all the time in the world. They were on vacation, planning to travel on a private plane. There was no pressing reason for Patsy to call 911 when she did. They could've spent several hours disposing of the body, staging a believable break-in, getting their stories straight, etc.

And I honestly don't think any of the officers who read that ransom note(except possibly the brainless Linda Arndt) believed it was legit. Not for a moment.

The autopsy findings do not suggest an accident. JB was still alive while being strangled. By all indication, this was a sadistic sex crime, and there was only one adult male in the house.

I would ask you to consider a scenario where John alone was guilty of this crime, and Patsy was uninvolved.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
I would ask you to consider a scenario where John alone was guilty of this crime, and Patsy was uninvolved.
I'm completely open to this as well. I believed that PR wrote the note, but it's possible that JR did instead.

I have always attested that a family member was responsible for crime & cover-up; I believe either one or both of the parents were involved here.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
my link was more for the comments that were posted under the article, not the article itself.
The quote was from the comments section in your link. She was refuting what other posters wrote about the ransom note.

Quote:
I believed that PR wrote the note, but it's possible that JR did instead. I have always attested that a family member was responsible for crime & cover-up.
John Ramsey had no prior history of any type of abusive behavior--emotional, sexual, or physical--and this was investigated thoroughly. Also, since his DNA was cleared, whose DNA was on the child's clothing? (Again, this has been discussed in detail in previous threads.)

Old 04-23-2016, 10:55 PM

16,074 posts, read 28,653,398 times
Keep the break in at their new residence in mind, where the 'intruder' escapes with K- Mart jewelry Johns shoved in the bathroom that locks from the inside, and secured with material from the arm of one his jackets while Patsy's at church for bible study?? Police were baffled, this was GA...not Boulder.

John Ramseys a sick-o.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:06 PM

16,074 posts, read 28,653,398 times
s-atlanta-burglar2001.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime