Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 10:36 AM

259 posts, read 705,253 times

Advertisements

Hows about Hidden Valley on Sabino Canyon Rd. They had a par three golf course right across the street. Nice place 40 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 11:16 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanque Verde View Post
Hows about Hidden Valley on Sabino Canyon Rd. They had a par three golf course right across the street. Nice place 40 years ago.
Yeah... wow...

Seriously! What savage brute bunch of inconsiderate ne'er-do-wells and their devil-may-care contractor buddies went in and totally ravaged, pillaged, and plundered THAT landmark... all to kingdom come?

Old 10-05-2009, 07:19 PM

259 posts, read 705,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Yeah... wow...

Seriously! What savage brute bunch of inconsiderate ne'er-do-wells and their devil-may-care contractor buddies went in and totally ravaged, pillaged, and plundered THAT landmark... all to kingdom come?
Not in Sabino Canyon. It was located on Sabino Canyon Rd.. leading to Sabino Canyon

Old 10-05-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanque Verde View Post
Not in Sabino Canyon. It was located on Sabino Canyon Rd.. leading to Sabino Canyon

Old 12-23-2009, 09:03 PM

4 posts, read 23,970 times
Rembering Tucson in the old days? Wow. How about when EVERYBODY went ro the Sunset Rollerama to see Chuck Berry, Brenda Lee, Leslie Gore and so many more. When it was called Rillito River and not Rillito Creek. When River Road was unpaved and was criss-crossed with sandy arroyos and we used it as a race course. Kiddyland on Speedway. When Speedway turned into a dirt road at Wilmont. When you could drive all the way into Sabino Canyon to swim and party. Anybody remember the old Mount Lemmon Lodge with all of the mounted heads and the giant rock fireplace. ? The Mount Lemmon riding stables. How about the Pago Pago on Oracle Road where they had the big glass cases built into the walls complete with live monkeys?

Old 12-24-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
Rembering Tucson in the old days? Wow. How about when EVERYBODY went ro the Sunset Rollerama to see Chuck Berry, Brenda Lee, Leslie Gore and so many more. When it was called Rillito River and not Rillito Creek. When River Road was unpaved and was criss-crossed with sandy arroyos and we used it as a race course. Kiddyland on Speedway. When Speedway turned into a dirt road at Wilmont. When you could drive all the way into Sabino Canyon to swim and party. Anybody remember the old Mount Lemmon Lodge with all of the mounted heads and the giant rock fireplace. ? The Mount Lemmon riding stables. How about the Pago Pago on Oracle Road where they had the big glass cases built into the walls complete with live monkeys?
Yep! Sunset Rollerama was one of THE places to go and rollerskate... and dance to local bands... and see celebrities... and flirt... etc...

And... I'm not sure, but you quite possibly may be one of the very few who actually remembers Kiddyland from back when... besides me, that is.

Unfortunately, good ol' Sabino Canyon has been cordoned off and turned into one more revenue-grabbing landmark. However, all in all its actually a good thing, and it is now more protected from the party-hardy types... I'm sure.

My mind's eye still sees the old Mt Lemmon Lodge and the cool little town of Summerhaven as it once was, and hasn't been since... back when...

Yeah... the Pago Pago... which later turned into the Aku Aku... or was it the Poco Loco... (?)... I guess every town wants to believe its a Polynesian paradise in the South Pacific, eh? However, Tucson still has the Kontiki!

Old 01-10-2010, 03:17 AM

1 posts, read 17,634 times
Default East Tucson 60's and 70's

Hello Everyone,
I grew up in Tucson and moved to Prescott when I was 17. My family moved to east Tucson in 1968 I was in 2nd grade. I went to school at Tanque Verde Elementary School and then to junior high at Emily Gray Jr High the first yr it opened. I went to Sabino High from 1975 until 1978 I then went to Project Moore from 1978 to 1979 which was in downtown Tucson. I lived on Linden St which was off of Tanque Verde Loop Road. I rode horses and showed. We use to ride down the Tanque Verde wash up to Bel Aire Estates over where the stables were. There was a ma and pa convenience store at the corner of Tanque Verde Loop and Tanque Verde where me and my brothers met Dean Martin. He was on his way to the 49ers country club to play golf. We use to go to Sabino Canyon and Reddington Pass for keg parties. I went to a lot of boonie parties in the desert and was at many of them that the Sheriffs dept busted with helicopters. I remember constantly partying in High School. So my memories are a bit fuzzy. I went to a lot of concerts some indoors and some out of doors. I went to a huge party at box canyon. They had trucks full of keg beer and generators running and a live band with makeshift stage all in the middle of the desert. Gosh, those were amazing times. There was a small sandwich shop that opened up on the corner of Tanque Verde Road and Tanque Verde Loop Road. I think it was the Butler girl and her boyfriend who opened that shop. We use to thumb everywhere because me and my friends did not have a car. We even thumbed down a sheriffs deputy on a trip to the top of MT Lemon when we were heading to a party. We use to hike in Saguaro National Mounument Park. I have lots of pics from those hiking days. The desert was a trip to grow up in, but it is no longer in my blood. I now live up in the inland northwest in the mountains.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:03 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcares View Post
I went to a huge party at box canyon. They had trucks full of keg beer and generators running and a live band with makeshift stage all in the middle of the desert.
which box canyon?....do you mean the one down in the Santa Ritas off the Madera road heading over toward the Sonoita highway?...

Old 01-11-2010, 07:23 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
It has been great to relive certain things in Tucson again through this thread (THANK YOU!) I'm currently in NC, but will always consider Tucson home.

Some of my fondest memories around Tucson were/are:

Itchy Foot Moe's

The Fine Line/Club Congress/The DPC

4th Avenue street fairs

Loose Change

How Sweet It Was

Breakers/Justins Water World

The Tanque Verde Swap Meet when it was actually on Tanque Verde

Skiiny dipping at Seven Falls

Drive in movies

Saturday night at the LOFT

Golf N' Stuff on Tanque Verde

Eegee's (Best subs and fries around, wish we had one on the east coast)

Sinbad's (Best gyros)

Hanging out at Potstickers and being run off by the cops!

Seeing the Deadmilkmen at a place called Mud Bugs (no longer around I hear)

Tucson Mall use to have a thing called Center Stage where you could go in a booth and record yourself singing songs. Oh the hours I would spend there!

Club Crawl!

Oh yeah cannot forget the 25 cent hamburger stand on Grant Rd

Old 01-19-2010, 08:16 PM

153 posts, read 541,222 times
The Bob Meehan Band at the Solarium. Disco at the Bum Steer with $1 Tequila Sunrises. Saguaros were green and pot was yellow, not the other way 'round. Free keggers at Pontatoc Road - way out in the boonies then. 1600 N Wilmot was a swinging singles complex, not the hood, Choo Choo's before it became the Night Train, KWFM Kite Flying Contest when River and Campbell was a hippie haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson