Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 02:42 AM

2 posts, read 25,084 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm moving back soon. Is Micha's still on S. Forth? Anybody remember the 'Night Train'? (or admit it?), the 'Eagles' farewell concert in the parking lot of the UofA when they broke out? I still have an album of pics from the Indians games at High Corbett. I remember Rory Calhoun doing his sidewalk cowboy act downtown, he was great.
kensolar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 09:59 AM

8 posts, read 67,213 times
Default Re: Micha's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensolar View Post
Hey guys, I'm moving back soon. Is Micha's still on S. Forth? Anybody remember the 'Night Train'? (or admit it?), the 'Eagles' farewell concert in the parking lot of the UofA when they broke out? I still have an album of pics from the Indians games at High Corbett. I remember Rory Calhoun doing his sidewalk cowboy act downtown, he was great.
kensolar
Yes. Micha's is still there.
I just registered on this blog and hope the conversation in this thread returns to reminiscences of the 50's-70's in Tucson. I'm getting old enough now to where I have forgotten a lot of that stuff. These posts help jog my memory.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:56 AM

3 posts, read 26,430 times
I spent all of the 70s in Tucson as a child and teenager. Highlights include ice skating at a place on east speedway near Craycroft; I forget the name (Iceland?), but it shared the building with a bowling alley. Going to movies at the old Temple of Music and Art near downtown, and at the rickety old Loft theater near the U of A. Swimming at the Lohse YMCA indoor pool. Buying records at Zip's near the U of A. Dining at the restaurant in Levy's department store. Eating at Louie's Lower Level at the U of A student union (now there's ambience for ya). Taking the Suntran bus every day to school. I'd better stop.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:32 AM

259 posts, read 705,253 times
Well, I'm up late, can't sleep...takes another swig of hot coffee, started cruising this forum and found this thread.

I grew up in Tucson and remember a lot of the places mentioned in this thread. We used to roller skate at the sunset rollarama, hung out at the iceland bowling & skating rink where we saw rock bands like the Grass Roots and even Alice Cooper playing in a band called the spiders or something like that. There was another club just down the street called the hi ho club, If anybody remembers that.
Used to hang out at the Johnnies on speedway and craycroft. If we had enough money, we'd fill up at the shell station on the same corner and do a little drag racing up and down speedway. The Midway drive in on speedway was our preferred makeout spot back then.
Nobody mentioned the 22nd street drive in or the Rodeo drive in over in South Tucson. The Rodeo drive in was kind of rough back then but they were the only drive in that would let 16 year old kids in to watch T&A movies.
I grew up out on the far eastside of town and I can remember when speeday was a two lane road and no bridge to cross the pantano wash so it was frequently washed out there and in several other places during the summer thunder storms. If we were lucky we might get through to Broadway which had a bridge crossing the Pantano but most times we were just plain old stuck out there until the water receeded and the roads got fixed. Sometimes a day or two as I recall.
Oh and hows about that old friday night TV show on channel 9, was it Dr Scar or something like that.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:19 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,334 times
Farrell's at El Con, Shakey's Pizza on Drachman, Solarium and Pawnbroker on Tanque Verde, The Baron's on Golf Links, Prince drive-in at Campbell/Prince, old Campbell Plaza, Magic Carpet Golf, free Flandrau admissions, free access to Mt Lemmon, far less crime proportionate to population, easier hiking trail access, less grafitti, better maintained roads, cooler nights, darker skies, better schools ... I could go on and on.

People who've moved to Tucson in the past 10 years will never understand just how much better the town use to be and how downhill its gone.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:38 PM

602 posts, read 2,063,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Farrell's at El Con, Shakey's Pizza on Drachman, Solarium and Pawnbroker on Tanque Verde, The Baron's on Golf Links, Prince drive-in at Campbell/Prince, old Campbell Plaza, Magic Carpet Golf, free Flandrau admissions, free access to Mt Lemmon, far less crime proportionate to population, easier hiking trail access, less grafitti, better maintained roads, cooler nights, darker skies, better schools ... I could go on and on.

People who've moved to Tucson in the past 10 years will never understand just how much better the town use to be and how downhill its gone.
I originally moved here in 96, stayed for 2 years, then returned a year ago, and I can definitely see what you're saying, actinic. I still like the place a lot, but all the things you mentioned are true. (Save this post. It's a rare moment of detente.)

Old 05-29-2009, 07:50 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Wow! Whatever happened to the Stone Man... who started this thread?

Did he get spirited away and swallowed up by a nostalgic moment?

Old 05-30-2009, 08:18 PM

104 posts, read 273,314 times
I meandered my way here in the late 70's. The changes in just thirty years is mind-boggling.

A while back I scanned an old poster from 1978. Many, many scans and much stitching to create a MASSIVE file. Maybe there's a site that would host it but I'm not gonna search it out. Here's a detail: http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4...oycedetail.jpg

and here's a really rendered down blurry image of it as a whole: http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6...978byroyce.jpg

Old 05-30-2009, 08:48 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilygee View Post
I meandered my way here in the late 70's. The changes in just thirty years is mind-boggling.

A while back I scanned an old poster from 1978. Many, many scans and much stitching to create a MASSIVE file. Maybe there's a site that would host it but I'm not gonna search it out. Here's a detail: http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4...oycedetail.jpg

and here's a really rendered down blurry image of it as a whole: http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6...978byroyce.jpg
Was it my imagination, or did I see a Circle K in the midst of those graphix?

Old 05-30-2009, 10:14 PM

104 posts, read 273,314 times
Plenty of Circle K's already happening.

What was then the far, far, far east side around Tanque Verde/Grant:

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/534...oycecircle.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson