Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 08:12 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Farrell's at El Con, Shakey's Pizza on Drachman, Solarium and Pawnbroker on Tanque Verde, The Baron's on Golf Links, Prince drive-in at Campbell/Prince, old Campbell Plaza, Magic Carpet Golf, free Flandrau admissions, free access to Mt Lemmon, far less crime proportionate to population, easier hiking trail access, less grafitti, better maintained roads, cooler nights, darker skies, better schools ... I could go on and on.

People who've moved to Tucson in the past 10 years will never understand just how much better the town use to be and how downhill its gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
I originally moved here in 96, stayed for 2 years, then returned a year ago, and I can definitely see what you're saying, actinic. I still like the place a lot, but all the things you mentioned are true. (Save this post. It's a rare moment of detente.)
The first time I saw Tucson was ca. 1996; it was definitely better IMHO than today. Although in all fairness; I have not been there in almost 3 years.

Reading through the posts; Tucson, like Phx both sounded like really neat places 25+ years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 01:02 AM

1 posts, read 5,018 times
I moved here in 1977 when I was 13 years old. When the Tanque Verde swap meet was really on Tanque Verde! East on Grant rd. the pavement stopped at Craycroft. And yes, who can forget The Night Train. (We called it the Stain) I managed an awesome band out of high school called Shakey Jake that at one time was the house band at the Stain. Anyone remember Doc, the dude who ran the Stain?

Old 09-12-2009, 10:28 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,348,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The first time I saw Tucson was ca. 1996; it was definitely better IMHO than today. Although in all fairness; I have not been there in almost 3 years.

Reading through the posts; Tucson, like Phx both sounded like really neat places 25+ years ago.
True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor33 View Post
I moved here in 1977 when I was 13 years old. When the Tanque Verde swap meet was really on Tanque Verde! East on Grant rd. the pavement stopped at Craycroft. And yes, who can forget The Night Train. (We called it the Stain) I managed an awesome band out of high school called Shakey Jake that at one time was the house band at the Stain. Anyone remember Doc, the dude who ran the Stain?
What? Nobody remembers the Shakedowns band from the '60's? Or the Ramblers? Or the Poppies? Or the Poor Boys? Or the Occasionals? Or the Nomads? Or the Castaways? Remember "The Web" Teen Club? Sunset Rollerama ? Monterey Ice Palace?

Remember cruisin' Speedway? Johnie's Fat Boy Burgers? Battle of the Bands at the Ramada Inn on St Mary's & I-10? Clash of the Combos at DMAFB? DJ's Frank Kalil and Jerry Stowe on Rock & Roll Station KTKT (Color Radio Channel 99)?

Old 09-12-2009, 11:47 AM

259 posts, read 705,403 times
Grant Rd was paved all the way through to Tangue Verde Rd as far back as the early 1960's. Some brand new local attractions such as traildust town and a new bowling alley ( that later burned down leaving only a concrete slab ) were built near that intersection.

We used to drag race on Grant Rd, from Sunny Dr to the air raid siren at Wilmot. The distance was a quarter mile and it saved us a trip out to Tucson Dragway.

One guy who lived in the area had a 56 ford crown victoria that could run the quarter in 10 seconds flat at a 130 mph, which was pretty darned fast for a street car back in the 1960's

Old 09-12-2009, 07:03 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
What? Nobody remembers the Shakedowns band from the '60's? Or the Ramblers?
Few are as old as you to remember. At least 60, right?

Old 09-13-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Few are as old as you to remember. At least 60, right?
Someone else said it best: "Old enuff to know better... but too young to care"!

Old 09-14-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Someone else said it best: "Old enuff to know better... but too young to care"!
That explains alot.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
That explains alot.
Now lets explain you, Ack-Ack!

Old 09-16-2009, 05:06 PM

My apologies to you, actinic. I just read this new thread, and I believe I now understand why you have been so hostile (and perhaps even jealous) towards Arizona. The unemployment situation in Michigan has been horrendous. The weather is consistently depressing as well.

So many people have been uprooting themselves there and coming to Arizona in search of a better life. I seriously do hope that things go better for your state, as well as for yourself. I, for one, would seriously prefer to see you become a happier individual.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
My apologies to you, actinic. I just read this new thread, and I believe I now understand why you have been so hostile (and perhaps even jealous) towards Arizona. The unemployment situation in Michigan has been horrendous. The weather is consistently depressing as well.

So many people have been uprooting themselves there and coming to Arizona in search of a better life. I seriously do hope that things go better for your state, as well as for yourself. I, for one, would seriously prefer to see you become a happier individual.
No apology necessary as you've totally misinterpreted. I'm very happy, thank you, without a bit of jealousy. I understand your defensive nature, however. It's only natural to defend one's turf whether it be by going off topic or otherwise. The problem we frequently see is fanboy bias tends to cloud the facts. Objective or dispassionate appraisal is often scorned as hostile, especially from those who don't like what they hear, even if factual.

If anything I feel a bit of pity for those who become so defensive. This suggests they have true reason to be defensive, typically insecurity issues. I also pity those who find themselves stuck without the good fortune as I to be able to choose where to live. Younger career oriented types have better opportunities elsewhere. Older folks understandably like it ... less cold tolerant than the younger set generally.

To the subject of Michigan permit me to clear up your misunderstanding. Michigan, as in AZ has its troubles but is far from depressing, a virtual paradise for those who enjoy 4 seasons, greenery, water, fishing, boating, hiking, biking, snow skiing, canoeing, festivals, concerts, top notch colleges, etc. It is vibrant and alive, the west and central part of the state in particular plus suburban Detroit, with an amazing amount of housing rehabilitation and urban revival from generations who take pride in their community without the transient aspects of many southwest cities. Plentiful water, windpower, agriculture, tourism, manufacturing capacity, and a booming life sciences industry set the stage for a bright future in a state that is reinventing itself, albeit painfully out of necessity, with a diversified economic base not overly reliant on tourism or real estate.

Curiously I've met more people who've LEFT Arizona to return to Michigan than vice versa though many were younger, disillusioned by what they experienced. Oh, the summer has been magnificent! My gripe is too much sun. Hardly seen a cloud in the last 2 months. My choice was good one. Hopefully will get back to Tucson for a few months, certainly no more.

I appreciate your concern, hopefully you will have a better understanding of yourself and others. Best wishes.

Back to the subject!

Last edited by actinic; 09-18-2009 at 11:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson