Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 03:36 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,503 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah a navy seal said that? well Hellion1999 just told me that Bad Bunny is doing good deeds in Uvalde https://nypost.com/2022/09/17/bad-bu...vors-new-home/ and that the video also included interviews with politicians not just the common people that are beneath you. if i had a dime for every BS fact you spout i'd be able to take advantage of act 20/22
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2022, 07:57 PM

13,442 posts, read 4,283,969 times
Save the dimes to download more Bad Bunny music. I'm sure his lyrics puts women above and makes you proud. This is way over your head.

For the readers with an open mind, the reason the video is garbage is because it paints the U.S. and capitalism as evil and the people in the video knows nothing about economy or markets. When their main argument is "This belongs to us and leave" You know having a debate with them is useless and you can't debate or convince anybody with uncontrolled emotions.

What does Bad Bunny donating to a Texas girl and his management making it public to prop his career as to do with the topic? How old are you?

Old 09-18-2022, 09:29 PM

This is a more balance video by a career consumer journalist John Stossel. See how they don't make the people that disagree as evil or exploiters. It's the other side that does that and tries to kill the debate. When you label the other side as evil and exploiters you are just killing the debate and their solution is to push them out of the island and they have NO solutions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F4pdfeFdYA

One of the opinions of the video writes:

" I'm Puerto Rican and lived in the Island 26 years. I don't live there anymore. In reality what these people are complaining about is that they do not get the same tax break. There are certain rules in order to qualify for this tax exemption. The good news is that you have to produce jobs in order to do so. I think it's great! Given that only 40% of Puerto Ricans have a tax paying job, no one should be complaining." (Dave R)

"I'm a Puerto Rican, living in Puerto Rico, I personally benefit from the tax breaks because my job wouldn't exist if the tax breaks didn't exist. I work for a software company set up here because of the tax benefits and get paid a competitive salary I wouldn't have otherwise obtained here. I would've had to move to the states to have the same job." (Victor Martinez)

Old 09-21-2022, 08:57 PM

This is another great video by tax experts about Puerto Rico that explains the laws the own Puerto Rican government made and the requirements and who benefits. It's very educational without the bomb throwing by politicians or activists or this colonialism invading our land argument If the activist that calls herself a "journalist" Bianca Graulau interviews serious professionals that knows the law, economy and market instead of bomb throwers with bad arguments We could have a better debate and people learn the facts and not lies or propaganda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffOAm3qsif4

Old 09-22-2022, 05:15 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,597 times
We're conflating topics. One can eschew Act 60 without cosigning into a xenophobic migration bomb-throwing that happens to go against the freedom of internal movement of US citizens, as guaranteed by the US Constitution. Let's not stand up strawmen here.

At least IRS Section 936 had a marked footprint in the number of low and high skill payroll it sustained for almost two decades. Also the point in time at which the PR population reached its zenith mind you.

Act 60 not so much. It's a onesy twosie crytpo bro Rincón beachouse scheme of little tax revenue import by comparison. PR legislature just dying to turn the island into a lesser Antilles client state. Now that's neocolonialism writ large if I ever saw one. That two-timing Muñoz Marín would be proud.

At any rate, the problem with the 936 was and is of course, it required/(s) the buy-in from big daddy Federal govt. Buy-in which the island does not have in present circumstances.

Old 09-23-2022, 10:45 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Could it be a reasonable vacation property at a nice Caribbean environment?

What are the prices like, and what are the pros and cons?
If you have a few hundred thousand or a few million extra I'm sure it's nice.

Old 09-24-2022, 12:48 AM

Again, Puerto Rico made this mess and now they need investors and people to come in with money and spread it in the island's economy. The side with the xenophobic racist bomb throwing argument has no plan to grow the private sector. The main argument is "This belongs to us and get the hell out of here".

Old 09-25-2022, 08:26 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
The latest hurricane to thrash PR might give some potential real estate buyers from outside the island some pause about making a purchase. This is the second big natural disaster in the past 4 years to take out power, and along with it water to some places and many other essential, basic services. It may even cause more residents of PR to decide to put their property up for sale and move to the mainland, thus depressing prices.

There is nothing wrong with people from outside PR buying real estate in PR, especially residents of the US mainland. Last I checked, the US is still a free market economy with regards to buying and selling real estate, and PR is still governed by US laws that allow any citizen or legal resident to buy/own property and live where they please.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:23 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
Before we moved back from Puerto Rico in 1954, my Dad strongly considered buying a 40 acre plot of undeveloped beautiful beachfront property a few miles east of San Juan. The asking price was $100/acre.
Dad really wanted to buy it, but Mom said we probably would never get back down to the island after moving back stateside. She was right.
I think Rockefeller snapped up much of that area soon afterwards and built a resort on it.

Old 09-25-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Before we moved back from Puerto Rico in 1954, my Dad strongly considered buying a 40 acre plot of undeveloped beautiful beachfront property a few miles east of San Juan. The asking price was $100/acre.
Dad really wanted to buy it, but Mom said we probably would never get back down to the island after moving back stateside. She was right.
I think Rockefeller snapped up much of that area soon afterwards and built a resort on it.
1954? That was a great time to buy in P.R. because of the booming economy after WW 2, even if you don't return you would have that option and great investment to sell for big bucks. I wasn't even born in 1954, you must have lived Puerto Rico in the golden time. I wish I had a time machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories