Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2023, 07:06 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,149,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadtmensch View Post

Trees can cool down an area by 50 degree Fahrenheit and more.

Don't tell me that's nothing!

But the spaced out car oriented streets of Phoenix and Tempe make this place so hot.
HAHAHAHAAA!

So let's say it's 50 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I need a sweater when I walk outside. You plant a hundred trees so the temperature and the temperature of 50 degrees goes down to - 0 - zero! The rain becomes snow at 32 degrees. So it's 50 degrees Fahrenheit but it's snowing because of the trees planted??????

It's a joke although I assume you are talking about surface temperatures. Surface temperatures are depended on the season and the tilt of the earth - it's not a constant. Anywho, here are some REAL facts for you!

Quote:
This is an example of the Urban Heat Island Effect: when some areas in a city are hotter than others. Temperatures can even vary from block to block.

What cools your block? Anyone who has looked for a shady spot under a tree on a hot sunny day knows that trees help to cool off a street.

But by how much? How effective are trees at cooling neighborhoods, and what other characteristics contribute to an area’s air temperature during hot weather?

To find out how trees and other characteristics affect “hyperlocal temperature” - block-by-block differences - we worked with the Department of Parks and Recreation and the Mayor’s Office of Climate and Resiliency to install air temperature monitors around the city. This was part of a comprehensive approach to keep neighborhoods cooler during hot weather in NYC.

We reviewed land-use data and satellite imagery to build a profile of each block where we were monitoring temperature. We found that temperature could vary significantly depending on block characteristics. For example, the block we studied in Brownsville, Brooklyn, had very little vegetation (trees, grass, and shrubs), while the block in Edenwald, in the Bronx, had high grass and tree coverage. You can see the difference in vegetation coverage in these satellite images.

We found that the average temperature at the Edenwald spot was more than 2° cooler than the Brownsville spot.

Cooling a block by 2° may not sound like much, but small differences in temperature - especially at peak summer temperatures - really matter. For example, the average temperature at Central Park increased 3.4° from 1900 to 2013. Cooling blocks by just a few degrees can help offset the effects of climate change at the local level.

As the climate changes, NYC faces rising average temperatures and heat waves that place New Yorkers at risk. The increase in cooling provided from neighborhoods with trees and other vegetation helps increase equitable resilience between neighborhoods in New York, offsets the effects of the urban heat island, and makes daily life safer and more comfortable on hot days and during extreme heat. The modest cooling provided by increased greenery can also reduce the load of air conditioners and lower energy bills, as air conditioning is a vital public health intervention for reducing heat-related illness and death.
https://a816-dohbesp.nyc.gov/Indicat...ies/localtemp/

So your 50 degree drop is actually a 2 degree drop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 07:12 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,796,665 times
Quote:
Families all over Europe are running errands and transporting their children around with bicycles day for day. You are out of touch with reality.
You are the one who's out of touch with reality. Last I checked, Europe was 5,000 miles away from Arizona.

What Europeans do is absolutely 100% irrelevant to anyone living anywhere that is not called Europe.

Old 07-27-2023, 07:37 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,149,677 times
Quote:
Families all over Europe are running errands and transporting their children around with bicycles day for day. You are out of touch with reality.
It's because German family have significantly smaller families.

Germany - 51% of have one child, 36% have two children, 9% have three children and 2% have four children.

USA - 22% have one child, 41% have two children, 24% have three children and 14% have four children.

It's when I had my second child that life in the city became unmanageable without a car. So if my example is typical than 49% of Germans and 78% of Americans would need a car. That's not even taking the vast differences in size/geography in the USA vs Germany into account.

Germany -

Quote:
77 percent of households owned at least one car in 2021 - not far off the figure for 2011, which was 77,89 percent. The reason for the growth in car density can therefore be explained by the increasing number of households that have two or more vehicles.
https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Quote:
German millennials' attitudes towards cars are less sceptical than generally assumed, according to a survey by business advisory Duff & Phelps. The use of cars is more prevalent among millennials in Germany than in the whole of the EU, with 81 percent of Germans born since 1980 currently owning or leasing a car, compared to an EU average of 79 percent.
https://www.cleanenergywire.org/news...-models-survey

USA -

Quote:
91.7% of households had at least one vehicle in 2021. Only 8.3% of households did not have a vehicle. Idaho and Wyoming tied for the highest rate of car ownership nationwide, with 96.2% of households in both states reporting access to at least one vehicle in 2021
77.89% of Germans own cars vs 91% of Americans own cars. It's only a difference of 13.11%.

Whereas 78% of American families have more than one child - about 76,000,000 families vs 49% of German families have more than one child - 20,000,0000 families.

This isn't accounting for Germany's number of Muslim immigrant families which have significantly bigger families.

Instead of worry about cars, maybe Germany should focus on its lack of babies and its replacement population!. So maybe car ownership problems don't compare to the bigger problem of shrinking German demographics. Yeah, Germany's population as “ageing at one of the fastest rates globally”. Maybe those cars which help bigger families are not so awful after all!

Last edited by YorktownGal; 07-27-2023 at 08:42 AM..

Old 07-27-2023, 09:39 AM

538 posts, read 191,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
HAHAHAHAAA!

So let's say it's 50 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I need a sweater when I walk outside. You plant a hundred trees so the temperature and the temperature of 50 degrees goes down to - 0 - zero! The rain becomes snow at 32 degrees. So it's 50 degrees Fahrenheit but it's snowing because of the trees planted??????

It's a joke although I assume you are talking about surface temperatures. Surface temperatures are depended on the season and the tilt of the earth - it's not a constant. Anywho, here are some REAL facts for you!

https://a816-dohbesp.nyc.gov/Indicat...ies/localtemp/

So your 50 degree drop is actually a 2 degree drop!
The evaporation effect doesn't work in cold climate. It needs to be hot in order for trees being able to cool down the air and surfaces.

Surface temperature is important, because that's where shade from trees and buildings can bring down temperatures by a lot.

A 2 degree drop, because of some trees. That does also mean if you plant even more trees the temperature goes down even more. At max it go down by 50 degrees.

Last edited by Stadtmensch; 07-27-2023 at 09:53 AM..

Old 07-27-2023, 09:43 AM

45,438 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
The evaporation effect doesn't work in cold climate. It needs to be hot in order for trees being able to cool down the air.

Surface temperature is important, because that's where shade from trees and buildings can bring down temperatures by a lot.
So you're standing by your statement that trees lower the temperature by 50 degrees F? BRB

I'm back now. I have one of the most heavily treed lots in Town and the temperature in it is not in the high 30's (current is 87, I'm at about 84/5).

Old 07-27-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
It's because German family have significantly smaller families.

Germany - 51% of have one child, 36% have two children, 9% have three children and 2% have four children.

USA - 22% have one child, 41% have two children, 24% have three children and 14% have four children.

It's when I had my second child that life in the city became unmanageable without a car. So if my example is typical than 49% of Germans and 78% of Americans would need a car. That's not even taking the vast differences in size/geography in the USA vs Germany into account.

Germany -

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/news...-models-survey

USA -

77.89% of Germans own cars vs 91% of Americans own cars. It's only a difference of 13.11%.

Whereas 78% of American families have more than one child - about 76,000,000 families vs 49% of German families have more than one child - 20,000,0000 families.

This isn't accounting for Germany's number of Muslim immigrant families which have significantly bigger families.

Instead of worry about cars, maybe Germany should focus on its lack of babies and its replacement population!. So maybe car ownership problems don't compare to the bigger problem of shrinking German demographics. Yeah, Germany's population as “ageing at one of the fastest rates globally”. Maybe those cars which help bigger families are not so awful after all!
So muslim families do not matter, because racism or what?

How many families in the US are not of your species?

This is all racist nonsense, but I knew it was only a matter of time before the anti-urbanist political right would come up with this.

Many people here have two and more children and still bring their kids to day care or school by bicycle. You are just not used to it over there, but's definitely doable. It's actually funny. You are so used to drive everywhere you can't even imagine to live the way others do in other places.

This is too much ignorance for today, sry I am out.

Old 07-27-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So you're standing by your statement that trees lower the temperature by 50 degrees F? BRB

I'm back now. I have one of the most heavily treed lots in Town and the temperature in it is not in the high 30's (current is 87, I'm at about 84/5).
Something around 50. I am used to Celsius so I did some estimations in my head based on converting to Fahrenheit.

Here is an interesting article from EPA about the heat island effect:

"Trees and vegetation lower surface and air temperatures by providing shade and through evapotranspiration. Shaded surfaces, for example, may be 20–45°F (11–25°C) cooler than the peak temperatures of unshaded materials. Evapotranspiration, alone or in combination with shading, can help reduce peak summer temperatures by 2–9°F (1–5°C)."
https://www.epa.gov/heatislands/usin...e-heat-islands

Old 07-27-2023, 11:18 AM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
How many families in the US are not of your species?
I currently live in a semi-urban part of greater- Los Angeles... a mix of small apartment complexes, single family houses and condos. Down the street we have a family of cats; I imagine that it's a family, since their number seems to be rising, despite likely predation by the local coyotes, not to mention traffic accidents. Up the hill there is a family of skunks; I see them scurrying away, on our occasional walks. Less common, but seen from time to time, is a family (maybe several) of racoons. They are quite brazen in crossing the street, the larger ones (the adults?) leading, with their progeny in tow. None of these families, by my reckoning, are in my species.

Old 07-27-2023, 11:41 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
The market is obviously singles with sufficient resources to afford the rent. It's also laughable to call these places "communities". It's an apartment complex. Finally if you are so put-off from a bit of walking, you probably aren't going to want to haul kids, groceries, bicycles, etc. up and down the stairs to your 2d floor or 3d floor unit.

If you like it go rent there!
I'm not "put off" by walking at all. It's just the nature of where I live in Albuquerque, which is not very walkable, but very bikeable. I'm retired now, but still do some shopping and errands by bike. My house is right next to a dedicated bike trail which is one reason we chose it in retirement. And when I get too old to bike, I can get a Trike like I see other people using. My grandfather was still biking at 90.

Lots of apartment complexes call themselves "communities", their literature will say "We'd love to have you join our community", it's pretty common. It's a community to the extent that you want to get involved.

I like the Culdesac concept but I want something like this where I live. I'm not going to leave my city and friends just to rent there. Although now that I'm widowed I'm considering giving up the house and figuring out where to go. The rent at Culdesac is comparable to apartments where I live, and you'd save the expense of owning a car and auto insurance, which is considerable. I've used car-sharing before and found it very convenient and cheap.

I have been to Tempe several times, twice in the summer to attend conferences at ASU. The heat was a bit of a challenge but didn't do me in. Albuquerque averages 16 degrees F cooler year-round which is ideal for me.

Old 07-27-2023, 11:58 AM

14,192 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Something around 50. I am used to Celsius so I did some estimations in my head based on converting to Fahrenheit.

Here is an interesting article from EPA about the heat island effect:

"Trees and vegetation lower surface and air temperatures by providing shade and through evapotranspiration. Shaded surfaces, for example, may be 20–45°F (11–25°C) cooler than the peak temperatures of unshaded materials. Evapotranspiration, alone or in combination with shading, can help reduce peak summer temperatures by 2–9°F (1–5°C)."
https://www.epa.gov/heatislands/usin...e-heat-islands
I need to point out here that the higher figure range refers to surface temperatures — that is, how hot or cool surfaces are to touch.

The lower range refers to the ambient air temperature.

Both matter — after all, sitting on a bus stop bench that's 45ºF warmer than it could be were it shaded is going to be a very unpleasant experience if the temperature rises much above 90 — but in terms of activity (walking, biking and the like), it's the air temperature that matters more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning