Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2023, 12:40 PM

537 posts, read 189,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
You certainly vainly defended it as family friendly with your posts.

There's nothing particularly impressive about taking your sister's child to daycare "more than once". Real parents are concerned about the daily routine.

Did you see any of those "paths" in Tempe, AZ?

Tempe has infrastructure that carries more and more efficiently called "paved roads".
Germany is Germany. Tempe is Tempe.
I did not defend it as family friendly, not at all. You need to improve your reading skills. I defended German cities as family friendly, not this one. I said it is a good start for car free living, nothing more. I never claimed it is good for families to live there.

The daily routine of my sister's family and many more German families is to carry their children to daycare and school by bicycle every day. Nothing special about it, because it is REAL and NORMAL.

And no, I did not see any of those paths in Tempe and I never claimed there was.

But what's more efficient about roads?

Last edited by Stadtmensch; 07-25-2023 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, you kinda did.
I have asked, how many car free communities especially for families have been built in the US in recent years. I never said that this is a family friendly car free community. You have to consider the context in which I said this. I said this in response to someone who claimed, that car free communities already exist. The main message in my response was, that car free communities have not been built at all in recent years, regardless whether they are for families or not, but especially not for families. That doesn't imply, that I think this place is family friendly.

Old 07-25-2023, 12:52 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
You implied it was "family oriented" in that and subsequent posts.

After looking at this project, and knowing about it prior to your new identity posting about it, I figure it's pretty much geared to virtue signaling hipsters who will ask to borrow your truck every couple weeks to move things.

Old 07-25-2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You implied it was "family oriented" in that and subsequent posts.

After looking at this project, and knowing about it prior to your new identity posting about it, I figure it's pretty much geared to virtue signaling hipsters who will ask to borrow your truck every couple weeks to move things.
I did not imply this, it is your hasty and false interpretation of my sentence.

My statement was, that no car free community has been built in the US in recent years and especially not for families.

And I agree that is only for Hipsters, but better for Hipsters than for nobody.

I said, it is a good start.

I did not say or imply this was perfect.

Old 07-25-2023, 12:58 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,451,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadtmensch View Post
I did not defend it as family friendly, not at all. You need to improve your reading skills. I defended German cities as family friendly, not this one. I said it is a good start for car free living, nothing more. I never claimed it is good for families to live there.

The daily routine of my sister's family and many more German families is to carry their children to daycare and school every day. Nothing special about it, because it is REAL and NORMAL.

And no, I did not see any of those paths in Tempe and I never claimed there was.
In defense of "car-free" Culdesac as family friendly your "solution" for getting children to and from school was a bicycle with a child tote:

Quote:
Of course you can get around with a baby without car. You can use a bicycle for example. We have a child trailer in our family. It's all no problem, but for some reasons Americans can not do this. It's impossible. I mean we do this all the time.
•••
You can use this thing as a stroller when decoupling from the bike and it can carry the most important stuff and some groceries as well.
As if Americans were not aware of bicycles or child totes. I did not repost the pictures or your patronizing comments about Americans.

Your solution is not feasible. Are you bicycling daily with the child tote to take the child to school/daycare, doctor's offices when necessary, and for the other family errands you would need to run? No doubt you would enjoy trying to lug the child, bicycle, child tote, up and down the stairs to the third floor at Culdesac where you can tout the benefits of density.

There will likely be very few families here because it is too costly and impractical for families compared to other options. This is more like resort-style living or corporate housing.

Old 07-25-2023, 01:04 PM

Quote:
In defense of "car-free" Culdesac as family friendly your "solution" for getting children to and from school was a bicycle with a child tote:

No doubt you would enjoy trying to lug the child, bicycle, child tote, up and down the stairs to the third floor as well. There will likely be very few families here because it is too costly and impractical for families compared to other options. This is more like resort-style living or corporate housing.
I have demonstrated how it is possible to do almost everything by walking, cycling and public transportation if you are living in the right place.

That does not mean every place that calls itself "car free community" is just as practical and good in it.

I had noticed the steps in those buildings as well and I was very sceptical about it, but I didn't want to trash all your American attempts to copy European cities. I wanted to provide something positive, but you are doing a good job trashing your own country.

Old 07-25-2023, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I have demonstrated how it is possible to do almost everything by walking, cycling and public transportation if you are living in the right place.
Except the "right place" as far as you are concerned is Germany. The United States is not Germany. So it would seem you insist upon engaging in frivolous arguments.

Quote:
That does not mean every place that calls itself "car free community" is just as practical and good in it.
Of course not - because it is not in Germany, right?

Quote:
I had noticed the steps in those buildings as well and I was very sceptical about it, but I didn't want to trash all your American attempts to copy European cities. I wanted to provide something positive, but you are doing a good job trashing your own country.
They aren't trying to copy any European cities. They are trying to maximize profits off of the project. It is at an as-yet unknown cost to the renters in terms of accessibility.

There is no private space here. As soon as a renter exits the unit, they are in areas designated for "shared use". This is an anathema of living for people as they mature and particularly for families in the U.S. This is just one of many reasons why the demographic on this is upper 20s to probably 35 by which point they have moved elsewhere to start families. Professionals that travel and thus only need to worry about getting to and from the airport might also find this suitable.

Old 07-25-2023, 03:45 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Quote:
Unfortunately that's kind of limited in the US to New York and MAYBE Boston, plus San Fran if you never want to leave the center of the city. Maybe Philly and DC to some extent.

Which leaves the other 300 million of us who don't want to live in those places.

Most people want iron foundries and semiconductor plants to be located at a distance from housing, also feedlots and water treatment plants. So all the people who work at occupations where people don't want the business located in their neighborhoods, they're going to be traveling to work, one way or another.

Basically this big apartment complex that claims to be "car-free" will ONLY work for people who work from home; for students at nearby ASU whose mommies and daddies can pony up for the (fairly high) rent, and the few people who work at places like Stinky's Fast Lube and the big UPS warehouse and distribution center, plus the few who can commute to work on the light rail that has a (relatively) near station.

I fail to see how, other than making tenants promise not to keep a car within 1/4 mile, this is any different from any other big apartment complex with a centralized parking garage where you have to do some walking to get to your apartment, as opposed to distributed small parking lots throughout the complex. As I've already said, I will predict that within 10 years the visitor parking will have been converted to tenant parking and/or the complex will have bought a nearby property and made a parking lot. Probably happen when the complex gets sold. Which happens, well, pretty much constantly.

Old 07-25-2023, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Unfortunately that's kind of limited in the US to New York and MAYBE Boston, plus San Fran if you never want to leave the center of the city. Maybe Philly and DC to some extent.

Which leaves the other 300 million of us who don't want to live in those places.

Most people want iron foundries and semiconductor plants to be located at a distance from housing, also feedlots and water treatment plants. So all the people who work at occupations where people don't want the business located in their neighborhoods, they're going to be traveling to work, one way or another.

Basically this big apartment complex that claims to be "car-free" will ONLY work for people who work from home; for students at nearby ASU whose mommies and daddies can pony up for the (fairly high) rent, and the few people who work at places like Stinky's Fast Lube and the big UPS warehouse and distribution center, plus the few who can commute to work on the light rail that has a (relatively) near station.

I fail to see how, other than making tenants promise not to keep a car within 1/4 mile, this is any different from any other big apartment complex with a centralized parking garage where you have to do some walking to get to your apartment, as opposed to distributed small parking lots throughout the complex. As I've already said, I will predict that within 10 years the visitor parking will have been converted to tenant parking and/or the complex will have bought a nearby property and made a parking lot. Probably happen when the complex gets sold. Which happens, well, pretty much constantly.
... and if you are a prospective retail tenant having to cough up a part of your sales plus pay rent to the overlord, you might want to think twice about entering into a lease to begin with. Killing off the visitor parking would seriously decrease accessibility by the general public AND the tenants that would park there are no longer as captive as they were.

There was a snotty woke residential tower project in Austin, Texas that likewise touted its anti-car agenda as some kind of altruistic scheme for the benefit of the environment and the residents because it would encourage residents to walk, bike, etc. to work. Of course, this ignored the fact that employment for the residents wasn't really necessarily within biking or walking distance. In reality they were just trying to maximize profits by having more dedicated space for units and none for parking - until they discovered absent parking the units basically weren't marketable.

Because the developer had already gone down the path of construction without parking it ended up contracting to provide parking facilities in another building. That other building had no affiliation with the developer or residential tower project. The developer of course is interested in selling and exiting the project. The "contract" will be in its best short-term interests. At some point there will be a contract fight to try to maintain parking or an extortionate payment for assured parking. The "no parking" isn't particularly scalable either. The need for parking is still there even if it isn't provided in the building and there is no assurance an independent entity would build another parking garage nearby.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Except the "right place" as far as you are concerned is Germany. The United States is not Germany. So it would seem you insist upon engaging in frivolous arguments.

Of course not - because it is not in Germany, right?

They aren't trying to copy any European cities. They are trying to maximize profits off of the project. It is at an as-yet unknown cost to the renters in terms of accessibility.

There is no private space here. As soon as a renter exits the unit, they are in areas designated for "shared use". This is an anathema of living for people as they mature and particularly for families in the U.S. This is just one of many reasons why the demographic on this is upper 20s to probably 35 by which point they have moved elsewhere to start families. Professionals that travel and thus only need to worry about getting to and from the airport might also find this suitable.
The United States is not Germany, i.e. because in Germany newly developed family friendly car-free or car reduced communities designed similar to this one already exist en masse, but in the US not at all as it seems. In Germany neighborhoods like this are often build with day care, schools and shopping areas, also known as "urban village". It's all possible and realistic, but the concept is still pretty unknown in the US.

The developers want to maximize profits, what a surprise, just like every developer who builds suburbs in the US. That doesn't mean they are not trying to copy a European way of living there. Guess what, maybe the developers realized, that there is a gap in the market and that you can make profits from selling the European way of life in the US.

The lack of family friendly neighborhoods in the US who are designed in a similar way is only reinforcing the suburban mentality of American families, because they don't know any other possibilities. It's the lack of options in urban areas that drives them into sprawling suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning