Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 10:47 PM

8,342 posts, read 13,482,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Haha, you had me going with that last one!! I needed a good laugh today. It's been a crazy week as we prepare for big release and the associate death march to get there.
Glad to hear!

Quote:
You do have some good ideas and seem very resourceful. You might be surprised what you could find while preparing for your next big move. I've seen lots more jobs advertising remote options. That's what I'm doing and I know many others especially after the pandemic doing the same. Some companies have decided to sell their office space and allow their workers to continue remotely. They're also seeing the financial benefits of not paying for all of that commercial space.
Yes, working remotely is definitely an option even though the work type might be a little different than my usual, one needs to adapt to the changing environment. I will e more decisive once certain things are resolved at my end, in the next 4-6 months.

As StealthRabbit mentioned as well, even though I have an idea of the general area, I am not opposed to relocating and renting first so I can get to see the area in person and make a more calculated decision on where to work, buy a house, etc.

Quote:
BTW, we moved from CA for the same reasons as most are. Lots of folks scattering to the four winds looking for more reasonably priced living. If, by chance, you can keep your CA salary when moving, that can help as well.
I am not likely to have to option as I am not currently working but yeah, that would have been nice.
Again, I am not hung up on a few bucks that I can easily generate doing something on the side. I might even accept a job with a lousy salary at first, just to be employed and become more "attractive" to other employers, then move on to bigger, better jobs after. Not sure how the job market and the view of hiring managers towards unemployed applicants are over there but from what I have seen, out here, most hiring managers stay away from unemployed candidates like they have Covid-19!

Quote:
Based upon your budget and goals, I would also seriously consider some of the nice, more affordable states like the Carolinas, Florida, etc... Just do a comparative analysis of the pros/cons - cost to value benefits. If you're determined to stay out west, consider more remote parts of CA, NV or even AZ. The trick will be finding a more affordable place with decent job prospects as well. Those places don't grow on trees. The PNW can be more of a challenge due to its popularity with folks moving in with deeper pockets. The prices have been rising steadily with no end in sight especially near the bigger cities. So, while I like your dream, I'm just not sure this would be the best place to fulfill it. Then again, maybe it would if planned properly.

Derek
Thank you again, Derek. East Coast is not my cup of tea. I also tried AZ over a decade again and nope.
I am not fond of extremely hot, dry climate. I grew overseas in a climate very similar in some ways to Northern California, Oregon and WA. I like the green and cooler temperature and considering global warming, a cooler State makes more sense!

I was going to relocate back in 2018 back had to stay due to family issues/needs. Hopefully, I will make the move this year. There is always some sort of a challenge or issue. This year pandemic, there might be a zombie apocalypse born from the covid-19 vaccine deaths. Who knows?
But if things have gone the way of The Walking Dead, a rural, less populated town/state makes way more sense, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 11:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,764 posts, read 58,190,820 times
Not to worry, if single and within 10 yrs of retirement, with options for other income.... You can find a small affordable town within commute of Portland area jobs. I chose to work nights (no commute traffic, no bosses, more pay) for over 30 yrs, so I could he home with family every day. There are a lot of Asia interface jobs in evenings, and Europe interface at night + being single, you can work weekends for higher pay.

Do be prepared for the weather and long, cool, dark, and wet nights in Winter.

Heated shop helps. (Who needs a house?).... Only spouse and family... Not you!

Just talked with a friend in northwest WA who is retiring and trying to sell his vintage motorcycle parts business in next couple months (with existing inventory). He sold his house and is temporarily living at his shop until he can get it sold. Gotta be flexible and creative.

If you think you will have to work in silicone forest, there are a lot of places hiding in the woods near Vernonia, OR

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-30-2021 at 12:02 AM..

Old 01-30-2021, 11:11 AM

5,477 posts, read 7,771,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have been planning on relocating to somewhere in the PNW but financially, unlike most, I do not have a ton of money to spend on a house. Luckily though, my demands are a few and I am OK with a very small house as long as it has, at least a single car garage. Hopefully a 2-bedroom with 1+ bath. I do not have kids so I do not care about schools, etc.

At least initially (till I learn the area), I will be working from home so commute is not an issue.

I checked Zillow but all I could see is bunch of manufactured homes or really awful shed looking cluster crap tiny dwellings. My budget is $250K but I'd be interested in houses closer to $300K range if not a fixer-upper and has a nice look and size.

Should I work with a local agent or am I SOL in my price range?

I appreciate all candid, relevant and helpful input.

TIA!

PS. If Vancouver is not a good match (I prefer South WA), what other nearby areas would be better?
Honestly, if you don't care about schools and aren't tied to a commute, I would look at Longview/Kelso. I have teacher colleagues who live there and commute to teaching jobs in Vancouver and have their own kids in the Longview schools and they do just fine. It is going to be a bit more of a white working class meth head type of place than Vancouver, so you'll see more local folks with tattoos and such. But lots of ordinary people live there. Your money will go much further than Vancouver or Portland and you still have Portland about 1 hour away and Olympia about 1.5 hours. The northern edges of Vancouver like Salmon Creek are really only about 30 min away. So, for example, something like this if you want a garage:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...67021015_zpid/

Or something like this if you can push the price up a bit:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...67017727_zpid/

Old 01-30-2021, 11:35 AM

8,220 posts, read 16,729,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Honestly, if you don't care about schools and aren't tied to a commute, I would look at Longview/Kelso. I have teacher colleagues who live there and commute to teaching jobs in Vancouver and have their own kids in the Longview schools and they do just fine. It is going to be a bit more of a white working class meth head type of place than Vancouver, so you'll see more local folks with tattoos and such. But lots of ordinary people live there. Your money will go much further than Vancouver or Portland and you still have Portland about 1 hour away and Olympia about 1.5 hours. The northern edges of Vancouver like Salmon Creek are really only about 30 min away. So, for example, something like this if you want a garage:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...67021015_zpid/

Or something like this if you can push the price up a bit:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...67017727_zpid/
Links weren't working for me. Maybe they were already taken down/sold?

Derek

Old 01-30-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Links weren't working for me. Maybe they were already taken down/sold?

Derek
IDK, they work for me but maybe they are internal to my own zillow account or something. Point is, Longivew is not that large. You can zillow it and there are about 10 homes in the 250,000 range that look reasonable. Certainly more than you'll find in Vancouver or Portland.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:05 PM

8,342 posts, read 13,482,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Not to worry, if single and within 10 yrs of retirement, with options for other income.... You can find a small affordable town within commute of Portland area jobs. I chose to work nights (no commute traffic, no bosses, more pay) for over 30 yrs, so I could he home with family every day. There are a lot of Asia interface jobs in evenings, and Europe interface at night + being single, you can work weekends for higher pay.

Do be prepared for the weather and long, cool, dark, and wet nights in Winter.

Heated shop helps. (Who needs a house?).... Only spouse and family... Not you!

Just talked with a friend in northwest WA who is retiring and trying to sell his vintage motorcycle parts business in next couple months (with existing inventory). He sold his house and is temporarily living at his shop until he can get it sold. Gotta be flexible and creative.

If you think you will have to work in silicone forest, there are a lot of places hiding in the woods near Vernonia, OR
Well, my retirement would be a tad over 15 years but it is getting closer.
At this point, I am weighing all the pros and cons to decide. I may rent the first 6 months while I get used to the area and have a much closer look to make an informed decision afterwards.

I do want to find full-time employment with benefits eventually so I can save more money for the most suitable house I can afford in the area I decide on.

As texasdriver mentioned, there were a handful of nice properties within my budget when I checked last week so he is definitely right about Longview being a suitable town and I like its close proximity to larger towns/cities as well. Even if whatever IT jobs available there didn't pay as much as what similar jobs in Vancouver or Portland paid, the affordability of Longview is a big plus.

You are right, all I really care about is the garage. In a way, I am a lot like Al Bundy, I will be spending most of my free time either in front of my computer or in the garage. The set up and furnishings (and creature comforts) in the garage is like 10x more important than the actual house! Well, at least that will be the case until (if) I get married!

When I relocate there, I'd like to meet up and check out your bikes or even ride together, if you are interested as well. There is a good chance I may have to sell my beloved Stelvio before I relocate but I am sure once settled, I will look into getting a new one that is suitable for the area and trail riding.

Btw, what area is exactly "silicone forest"?
Also, I think you mentioned you were a driver, like a local delivery type driver or more like cross country 18-Wheeler "Over The Top" type truck driver?

If I can find a pet orangutan, I, too, might be interested in becoming a truck driver!

Quote:
Thank you. Yes, I am currently single so do not really care for the schools but, who knows with my dumb luck, I may end up meeting her* days after buying the house out in the middle of nowhere.

To be honest, my only true fear about buying a house, after buying the house, some X-Files type FBI agents trace their evidence all the way to my land where some psycho serial-killer buried dozens of his victims decades earlier!

Or, I find out my backyard is a very active Bigfoot mating zone or something crazy like that.

Actually, I take the last one back. That would allow me to capture some kool videos and make a ton of ad money from my YouTube channel!

Quote:
IDK, they work for me but maybe they are internal to my own zillow account or something. Point is, Longivew is not that large. You can zillow it and there are about 10 homes in the 250,000 range that look reasonable. Certainly more than you'll find in Vancouver or Portland.
No worries, I actually did a quick search last week after reading Rabbit's initial replies.

I am hoping things will become more certain a few months or so down the line so I can post an update.

Thank you all for your inputs!

Old 01-30-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
That's weird, now they work! I think it was just a temporary glitch while the IT guys were still reeling from the GameStop investment losses.

BTW, if possible, I think he could find something closer especially if he rents first then watch and waits. This is even more true if only really caring about the garage and can deal with fixer uppers like this:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2.../23278855_zpid

And depending on age when he moves, he could even get into one of these with decent two car garages and a lot closer to more jobs:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...23338112_zpid/

Then there is Woodland which is also closer:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...7028267_zpid/?

Derek

Old 01-30-2021, 10:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,764 posts, read 58,190,820 times
IDK, If OP has something fun to drive... Longview to Hillsboro is a 1 hr commute. (Via US 30 and Cornelius Pass. yes... a serious accident would greatly delay that route, but I'm sure it is normalls a better drive than Portland Metro)

Woodland or Ridgefield would be pushing an hour too amd FULL of traffic.

Hopefully OP could find something on WA side (Longview, Kelso, North Vancouver)

My ex-colleagues are doing industrial application support in Longview and a few doing robotics / PCL in Battleground. Woodland and Ridgefield industrial areas are growing with bigger companies too.

I'd be looking at these decent niegborhoods and build a LARGE shop with a little apartment. (if allowed) house can come later (if you must)
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...11498562_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...11485932_zpid/

OP is 15 yrs from retirement, but... stuff happens.

My great IT / tech company made me a very nice offer when I was 16+ yrs from retirement. (I had been waiting for severance for about 15 yrs)

2yrs salary
2yrs FREE college
2 yrs UI
2yrs insurance
+ benefits and bonuses into defered retirement.

I was given 10 seconds to decide (Satellite call with manager since I was at a remote supplier in Asia)
I decided to let my colleagues retain their jobs since they still had kids in school and wanted to remain employed.

Poof, Gone.

So far ~15.8 yrs gone and have not had to touch any retirement savings (yet). KoW Maybe tomorrow ? to buy a bargain view prop in Kalama. One of my retired friends needs to move back to PNW (Woodland) due to 'wayward adult kid' childcare needs, (Pretty common theme with retirees). He needs a rural property with a large shop and RV area, so I could buy for him to use. I have (6) friends raising their grandkids or nieces and nephews due to incarcerated parents. Good idea to stay single, than to inherit addtional lifelong issues of disfunctional families (most are disfunctional).

Renting is not a bad idea. I expect to need to do it the rest of my life.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:01 AM

Silicon Forest is the nickname for the Highway 26 corridor from Beaverton to Hillsboro where there is the greatest concentration of tech firms in Oregon, including biggies like Nike and Intel. Nike isn't really tech but sort of pretends to be. It is a riff off of silicon valley. The majority of large Portland area tech firms are likely to be out in that region, but by no means all of them. Vancouver and Camas also have tech firms and they are scattered about other places like the Pearl and other suburbs as well. And if you are looking for some sort of tech support job with a bank or school or something then that is irrelevant as those are everywhere.

If you are a single guy looking more for workspace than living space then the Stealth Rabbit approach has merit. Find some semi-rural plot somewhere where you can put up a metal shop building with concrete floors and build in a loft living space in the second floor. My brother in Alaska lives like this. He actually lives on a sailboat but has a shop on land with a loft apartment where he runs his tile contracting business. Works for him but there are no women in his life to say otherwise.

That is kind of what this place is, if you can find something similar for a bit cheaper: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...67039960_zpid/

Old 01-31-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:

If you are a single guy looking more for workspace than living space then the Stealth Rabbit approach has merit. Find some semi-rural plot somewhere where you can put up a metal shop building with concrete floors and build in a loft living space in the second floor. My brother in Alaska lives like this. He actually lives on a sailboat but has a shop on land with a loft apartment where he runs his tile contracting business. Works for him but there are no women in his life to say otherwise.

That is kind of what this place is, if you can find something similar for a bit cheaper: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...67039960_zpid/
Those Barndominiums are a good fit for some especially a bit more out in boonies where cheaper land can be had. Whether or not they get hit with crazier taxes like Stealth over your average suburban type home probably depends on local county tax assessor rules for that type of structure/property on a larger piece of land. They can view larger land owners as more wealthy, well to do, whether true or not.

One also has to consider street access, water, power, sewage/septic systems, internet access or lack thereof, etc... when building on an empty lot like that. Some have better existing infrastructure than others.

Regarding living on a boat, I would probably prefer that because of enjoying the water so much. There's a Washingtonian native who sold his WA home and then retired to California on a shoestring budget living on his boat. It's more of a minimalist lifestyle, but one he enjoys for the warmer year round weather, no property taxes, etc... People are always complaining how expensive CA is while he's as happy as a clam living is various ports there. Though if one needs a garage to work with tools like your brother, the combo sounds like a pretty good bachelor setup. A small commercial garage/building could work as well.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-31-2021 at 08:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area