Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 09:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Lots of options if single...

PT boss (Product design / inventor) moved from Colorado to Seattle and lived on a 57' sailboat and rented office / shop at marina (quite affordable). Kept car, motorcycle, sailboard, hiking stuff, and weaving loom in the workshop. Had a couch and hotplate for those really cold nights on the boat. (He was married with a kid), everything was within walking distance, so quite nice.

Benefit of building on bare land OUTSIDE of Clark County, is likely NOT having to pay Impact fees ($12k - $60k) BEFORE starting permits and plan review. + better assessment criteria.

In WA State, beware of great views and waterfront properties! (High taxes)

The Assessor already warned me NOT to burn my home to decrease taxes (since he likes it and wants it for his parents). He said he would still get me for $8,500/ yr property taxes if home was destroyed (I paid $20k for the land). (Land, building site with view + well, septic, underground power, slabs, driveway, outbuildings, fencing, landscape are all improvements he said he would tax if home was destroyed. Most of my land is in forest / steep deferral, but the building site is excluded and highly taxed (Protected view)).

Starlink "Better than nothing Beta" is working out for neighbors with much less sky exposure than I. I can't spring for $99/month for my WA home ONLY, since I was in WA less than 10 days last calendar yr. They are working on a few mobile tracking packages for Starlink, but I would have to take it with me on every flight...
Called the “Better Than Nothing Beta” test, according to multiple screenshots of the email seen by CNBC, initial Starlink service is priced at $99 a month – plus a $499 upfront cost to order the Starlink Kit.
https://www.satellitetoday.com/broad...month-service/

I was using it last week, and having Starlink drop-out between satellites which was pretty irritating on conference calls, especially if you are the presenter and have Europe, USA, and Asia businesses on the call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 10:07 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
That's weird, now they work! I think it was just a temporary glitch while the IT guys were still reeling from the GameStop investment losses.
Ha-hah, funny stuff!

Quote:
BTW, if possible, I think he could find something closer especially if he rents first then watch and waits. This is even more true if only really caring about the garage and can deal with fixer uppers like this:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2.../23278855_zpid

And depending on age when he moves, he could even get into one of these with decent two car garages and a lot closer to more jobs:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...23338112_zpid/

Then there is Woodland which is also closer:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...7028267_zpid/?

Derek
Thank you, Derek.
These are definitely very close to my budget and might even work, except for the middle one which is a manufactured home (double-wide), I am not interested in that. I want a house that comes with the property included in the price.

The first one and the 3rd one were really attractive as houses I found around Longview were not much cheaper but as for aforementioned reasons, I much rather live closer to the Portland metro for the next 15 years at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
IDK, If OP has something fun to drive...
Yes, it is called a "motorcycle"!

Quote:
Longview to Hillsboro is a 1 hr commute. (Via US 30 and Cornelius Pass. yes... a serious accident would greatly delay that route, but I'm sure it is normalls a better drive than Portland Metro)

Woodland or Ridgefield would be pushing an hour too amd FULL of traffic.

Hopefully OP could find something on WA side (Longview, Kelso, North Vancouver)

My ex-colleagues are doing industrial application support in Longview and a few doing robotics / PCL in Battleground. Woodland and Ridgefield industrial areas are growing with bigger companies too.

I'd be looking at these decent niegborhoods and build a LARGE shop with a little apartment. (if allowed) house can come later (if you must)
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...11498562_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...11485932_zpid/
I see your point, and you are right. I much rather have a short commute. That said, due to pandemic, there is a good chance whatever I find is likely to be 100% remote. As you guys mentioned, my background has extensive, high-level application support so I could do that if the pay is not too bad and those types of jobs are more readily available.

Quote:
OP is 15 yrs from retirement, but... stuff happens.
Yes, who knows? I will continue to play Super Lotto!

Quote:
My great IT / tech company made me a very nice offer when I was 16+ yrs from retirement. (I had been waiting for severance for about 15 yrs)

2yrs salary
2yrs FREE college
2 yrs UI
2yrs insurance
+ benefits and bonuses into defered retirement.

I was given 10 seconds to decide (Satellite call with manager since I was at a remote supplier in Asia)
I decided to let my colleagues retain their jobs since they still had kids in school and wanted to remain employed.

Poof, Gone.

So far ~15.8 yrs gone and have not had to touch any retirement savings (yet). KoW Maybe tomorrow ? to buy a bargain view prop in Kalama. One of my retired friends needs to move back to PNW (Woodland) due to 'wayward adult kid' childcare needs, (Pretty common theme with retirees). He needs a rural property with a large shop and RV area, so I could buy for him to use. I have (6) friends raising their grandkids or nieces and nephews due to incarcerated parents. Good idea to stay single, than to inherit addtional lifelong issues of disfunctional families (most are disfunctional).
Wow! Sounds like you got stories!

Quote:
Renting is not a bad idea. I expect to need to do it the rest of my life.
Yes, it is definitely a viable option. I am very flexible and I tend to plan a little ahead but ultimately, much like you, I tend to make last minute decisions within 10 seconds. So far, with the exception of matters of heart, all my decisions were wise so I am confident I will make a prudent decision with housing when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Silicon Forest is the nickname for the Highway 26 corridor from Beaverton to Hillsboro where there is the greatest concentration of tech firms in Oregon, including biggies like Nike and Intel. Nike isn't really tech but sort of pretends to be. It is a riff off of silicon valley. The majority of large Portland area tech firms are likely to be out in that region, but by no means all of them. Vancouver and Camas also have tech firms and they are scattered about other places like the Pearl and other suburbs as well. And if you are looking for some sort of tech support job with a bank or school or something then that is irrelevant as those are everywhere.

If you are a single guy looking more for workspace than living space then the Stealth Rabbit approach has merit. Find some semi-rural plot somewhere where you can put up a metal shop building with concrete floors and build in a loft living space in the second floor. My brother in Alaska lives like this. He actually lives on a sailboat but has a shop on land with a loft apartment where he runs his tile contracting business. Works for him but there are no women in his life to say otherwise.

That is kind of what this place is, if you can find something similar for a bit cheaper: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...67039960_zpid/
Every single suggestion you 3 shared had merits and I may be interested in, if not right away, down the line.
That barndominium or whatever the last property was, it looks nice but seemed pricey for a property out in the middle of nowhere. Curious, why was it so pricey, am I missing something?

Oh yeah, I thought about doing the live off the boat thing when I relocated back to CA right after the recession hit. I think it is a very doable lifestyle for a single person who likes water, living on water and doesn't have too much stuff. Since I needed and wanted a garage, it didn't seem too practical or affordable to me (storage is expensive in CA).
Also, you have to keep in mind, there is a waiting list to actually live in your boat full time. Most boat park/harbors only allow like 2 nights a week. It could take like 4-5 years before they allow you to live full-time. Of course some sneak-stay an extra night or so but even if you are super low-key, they will eventually catch you if you do stay 7-nights a week.

Last but not least, I am not much of a swimmer and get muscle cramps very quickly so I am a bit scared of water!

Old 01-31-2021, 10:18 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
That barndominium or whatever the last property was, it looks nice but seemed pricey for a property out in the middle of nowhere. Curious, why was it so pricey, am I missing something?
I'm guessing because of the acreage. I think it was 7-8 acres. And maybe there are views. Because the building itself looked kind of crappy. I wasn't pushing you to that exact property. Just the concept. I would honestly rather do it from scratch like Stealth suggests, or find one with an unfinished living loft that you can finish out with some furnishings yourself. It's just the concept I was pointing to.

Quote:
Oh yeah, I thought about doing the live off the boat thing when I relocated back to CA right after the recession hit. I think it is a very doable lifestyle for a single person who likes water, living on water and doesn't have too much stuff. Since I needed and wanted a garage, it didn't seem too practical or affordable to me (storage is expensive in CA).
Also, you have to keep in mind, there is a waiting list to actually live in your boat full time. Most boat park/harbors only allow like 2 nights a week. It could take like 4-5 years before they allow you to live full-time. Of course some sneak-stay an extra night or so but even if you are super low-key, they will eventually catch you if you do stay 7-nights a week.

Last but not least, I am not much of a swimmer and get muscle cramps very quickly so I am a bit scared of water!
Boat life is a whole different thing. My brother has been doing it in Juneau for 20 years which is probably the best spot on the west coast to do it because the public marinas are cheap and easy going. And he even has his heated shop apartment to spend time in when he wants of the boat. In OR and WA it is a whole different world. Lots of liveaboards on the Columbia. Maybe even more than in the Seattle area, I'm not sure about that. Wouldn't surprise me. Freshwater is better for boats long term than saltwater anyway. But I wouldn't do it. Maybe a houseboat in the right location, but not an actual liveaboard boat. You get the worst of both worlds. Your boat quickly becomes too cluttered and heavy to actually sail. But you never even get a fraction of the room of even a houseboat.

In your shoes, I'd be renting in the location that appeals to you the most while getting your career going and then spend your free time exploring and figuring out options while you save money. Then you'll be poised for the next jump and will be much more certain about that that next jump is.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:16 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:

In your shoes, I'd be renting in the location that appeals to you the most while getting your career going and then spend your free time exploring and figuring out options while you save money. Then you'll be poised for the next jump and will be much more certain about that that next jump is.
Agreed, while its helpful to consider all the creative options which may suit your lifestyle, it's always better to have boots on the ground familiarity with your environment first, if possible. Then, you can watch and wait for the right opportunity once you decide what that really looks like - home further out, barndominum, etc... You can also do the drive to and from various locations to a get a real sense of what its like sitting in traffic during commute hours. After decades of driving the snarled up mess of SoCal freeways, I've made a personal choice to avoid those messes when at all possible. Though if a job change required it, I might have to reconsider. However, it would be more of a last choice option.

While motorcycles are popular in the PNW, especially with hobbyists, they are not on road nearly as often as states like CA with all the rain here. I actually can't remember the last time I saw one driving down the road. Though I did see a gal driving a fancy convertible in Camas the other day when the sun finally came out. Couldn't help but think, yep, there's a well-off California transplant who's been dying to put the top down on her sportscar and finally can today! lol

I guess I'm stereotyping my own state a bit. But there are definitely cultural differences here when it comes to vehicles. Of course folks from other states like fancy convertible sportscars too and drive motorcycles more often. Its just not as big of a thing here compared to all the ridiculously oversized, jacked up trucks or Subaru craze. A Washingtonian single friend I work with in Monterey drives his Harley down to California for 'the winter' where he rents a room and then heads back to Washington where he lives during the rest of the year (6+ months). So, as he puts it, he gets the best of both worlds.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-01-2021 at 12:38 AM..

Old 02-01-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing because of the acreage. I think it was 7-8 acres. And maybe there are views. Because the building itself looked kind of crappy. I wasn't pushing you to that exact property. Just the concept. I would honestly rather do it from scratch like Stealth suggests, or find one with an unfinished living loft that you can finish out with some furnishings yourself. It's just the concept I was pointing to.
Gotcha! Yes, I agree, it is a good concept but probably not suitable initially. Perhaps down the road?

Quote:
Boat life is a whole different thing. My brother has been doing it in Juneau for 20 years which is probably the best spot on the west coast to do it because the public marinas are cheap and easy going. And he even has his heated shop apartment to spend time in when he wants of the boat. In OR and WA it is a whole different world. Lots of liveaboards on the Columbia. Maybe even more than in the Seattle area, I'm not sure about that. Wouldn't surprise me. Freshwater is better for boats long term than saltwater anyway. But I wouldn't do it. Maybe a houseboat in the right location, but not an actual liveaboard boat. You get the worst of both worlds. Your boat quickly becomes too cluttered and heavy to actually sail. But you never even get a fraction of the room of even a houseboat.
I'd sink that boat within a year! I already have boat load of stuff!

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed, while its helpful to consider all the creative options which may suit your lifestyle, it's always better to have boots on the ground familiarity with your environment first, if possible. Then, you can watch and wait for the right opportunity once you decide what that really looks like - home further out, barndominum, etc... You can also do the drive to and from various locations to a get a real sense of what its like sitting in traffic during commute hours.
Yes, that approach is beginning to make more sense as it 'd be the most logical and practical.
Thank you.

Quote:
After decades of driving the snarled up mess of SoCal freeways, I've made a personal choice to avoid those messes when at all possible. Though if a job change required it, I might have to reconsider. However, it would be more of a last choice option.

While motorcycles are popular in the PNW, especially with hobbyists, they are not on road nearly as often as states like CA with all the rain here. I actually can't remember the last time I saw one driving down the road. Though I did see a gal driving a fancy convertible in Camas the other day when the sun finally came out. Couldn't help but think, yep, there's a well-off California transplant who's been dying to put the top down on her sportscar and finally can today! lol

I guess I'm stereotyping my own state a bit. But there are definitely cultural differences here when it comes to vehicles. Of course folks from other states like fancy convertible sportscars too and drive motorcycles more often. Its just not as big of a thing here compared to all the ridiculously oversized, jacked up trucks or Subaru craze. A Washingtonian single friend I work with in Monterey drives his Harley down to California for 'the winter' where he rents a room and then heads back to Washington where he lives during the rest of the year (6+ months). So, as he puts it, he gets the best of both worlds.

Derek
A former Californian even hating on the Californians? Ha-hah, that is a new one!
All kidding aside, I went thru the same notions when I tried Phoenix, AZ over a decade ago. After 2 years, I came back, mainly due to a seemingly better job opportunity. I did notice, primarily around Northern part of Scottsdale, there were a lot of ex-CA rejects. People who didn't/couldn't live in CA any more so they relocated to AZ to start fresh but very quickly complained and wanted to change things to be more like......CA! Ironic or idiotic or both?

Good thing, I am more of a truck guy. I am driving a stick shift hatchback Corolla because parking was an issue in Long Beach (where I used to live for almost a decade with a Silverado which I loved dearly).
Once I find a suitable house to settle in, the next thing would be is to get a full size truck. I do feel a bit like a canned tuna in the Corolla but it does have its charms plus it is stick shift. It might be the only 2019 in Southern California!

I do appreciate all the useful, helpful input as well as the funny bits. I am anxious to try some place new and PNW is where I always had my mind and heart in.

To be continued...

Old 02-02-2021, 01:35 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Good thing, I am more of a truck guy. I am driving a stick shift hatchback Corolla because parking was an issue in Long Beach (where I used to live for almost a decade with a Silverado which I loved dearly).
Once I find a suitable house to settle in, the next thing would be is to get a full size truck. I do feel a bit like a canned tuna in the Corolla but it does have its charms plus it is stick shift. It might be the only 2019 in Southern California!

I do appreciate all the useful, helpful input as well as the funny bits. I am anxious to try some place new and PNW is where I always had my mind and heart in.

To be continued...
Perfect, you'll fit right in. Just make sure to get one with extra BIG wheels. Then grow a beard, always wear jeans and a flannel and no will ever question if you lived in CA before. Combing hair is also optional. Look like you just came out of the woods for three or four days and maybe wrestled bigfoot. But no shorts or flip flops... Now if I only I took my own advice. haha

Derek

Old 02-03-2021, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Perfect, you'll fit right in. Just make sure to get one with extra BIG wheels. Then grow a beard, always wear jeans and a flannel and no will ever question if you lived in CA before. Combing hair is also optional. Look like you just came out of the woods for three or four days and maybe wrestled bigfoot. But no shorts or flip flops... Now if I only I took my own advice. haha

Derek
Bha-hah! I am like 90% there then!
Back in the day when I was young and cared about my looks, I wouldn't leave home without styling my hair.
Ever since I got into motorcycles (15 years ago), I stopped putting anything in my hair. So, when my hair is long, since it is naturally thick, it is a cross between Don King and Albert Einstein.
If I am riding, when I take my helmet off, women and children usually run away scared!

I do like wearing shorts and flip-flops during the warm days though!

I have seen a few suitable properties around Woodland where prices seemed very comparable to similar homes in Longview. I am guessing Woodland is like 30 minutes from Vancouver?
That area might be ideal since it is in between so whether I find a job in Longview or Vancouver, if I am guessing right, the commute would be about the same.
Woodland seemed like a really nice small town too. Horseshoe lake does indeed look like a horseshoe! I wonder if it is natural or man-made?

Old 02-03-2021, 01:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
~30 min Woodland to central Vancouver, 45 min Longview to central Vancouver. / I-5 Bridge

Do be advised of the county line issue in Woodland. (South of river is Clark, North is Cowlitz IIRC) You want north (for property tax, assements, county rules, enforcement, and future resale value). Usually the border area is not much cheaper (due to overlapping school districts that hog the resources), as you depart the money hungry districts you can improve levy (You can get a Levy map from county). But rural can really soak you for EMS (which can also ratchet your fire insurance rates up).

Know your areas, how they vote (for levy increases), and what you are willing to pay. I would have never suspected an acceptable $3/ day in property taxes would transform into $46/ day on the some ole (now) worn out property.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
~30 min Woodland to central Vancouver, 45 min Longview to central Vancouver. / I-5 Bridge

Do be advised of the county line issue in Woodland. (South of river is Clark, North is Cowlitz IIRC) You want north (for property tax, assements, county rules, enforcement, and future resale value). Usually the border area is not much cheaper (due to overlapping school districts that hog the resources), as you depart the money hungry districts you can improve levy (You can get a Levy map from county). But rural can really soak you for EMS (which can also ratchet your fire insurance rates up).

Know your areas, how they vote (for levy increases), and what you are willing to pay. I would have never suspected an acceptable $3/ day in property taxes would transform into $46/ day on the some ole (now) worn out property.
Thank you, Rabbit.

When you say "south/north of the river" were you referring to Lewis River or Columbia (which seemed more East/West orientation to me)?
I am sure almost every county in the US has a similar situation. I seriously doubt any fee, tax, levy you bring up would be any cheaper in CA. That said, I am not sure if levy is something additional to property tax? I don't recall paying anything like that separately when I had a townhouse back in the day.

That $3 /day to $46 /day hike is outrageous, indeed but how could one possible predict such a change?

I was able to get some idea from their web site but there didn't seem to be an actual levy map available on their web site.
If all works out, I will definitely consider Cowlitz county as a suitable spot but initially, I may also end up close to Vancouver or Longview if I am able to find a job closer that'd eventually require commuting.

Thank you again for bringing up all this, all valid and concerning, no doubt.

Cheers,
TL

Old 02-04-2021, 09:26 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
Thank you, Rabbit.

When you say "south/north of the river" were you referring to Lewis River or Columbia (which seemed more East/West orientation to me)?
I am sure almost every county in the US has a similar situation. I seriously doubt any fee, tax, levy you bring up would be any cheaper in CA. That said, I am not sure if levy is something additional to property tax? I don't recall paying anything like that separately when I had a townhouse back in the day.

That $3 /day to $46 /day hike is outrageous, indeed but how could one possible predict such a change?

I was able to get some idea from their web site but there didn't seem to be an actual levy map available on their web site.
If all works out, I will definitely consider Cowlitz county as a suitable spot but initially, I may also end up close to Vancouver or Longview if I am able to find a job closer that'd eventually require commuting.

Thank you again for bringing up all this, all valid and concerning, no doubt.

Cheers,
TL
Yep. the Lewis River is the boundary between Clark and Cowlitz Counties.

Fun Fact: in SW Washington, the Lewis River runs through Cowlitz County. And the Cowlitz River runs through Lewis County.

No idea how that happened. Well, the bottom end of the Cowlitz River enters Cowlitz county but most of it's length it is in Lewis County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area