Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 11:09 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I have been planning on relocating to somewhere in the PNW but financially, unlike most, I do not have a ton of money to spend on a house. Luckily though, my demands are a few and I am OK with a very small house as long as it has, at least a single car garage. Hopefully a 2-bedroom with 1+ bath. I do not have kids so I do not care about schools, etc.

At least initially (till I learn the area), I will be working from home so commute is not an issue.

I checked Zillow but all I could see is bunch of manufactured homes or really awful shed looking cluster crap tiny dwellings. My budget is $250K but I'd be interested in houses closer to $300K range if not a fixer-upper and has a nice look and size.

Should I work with a local agent or am I SOL in my price range?

I appreciate all candid, relevant and helpful input.

TIA!

PS. If Vancouver is not a good match (I prefer South WA), what other nearby areas would be better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 02:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,718 posts, read 58,054,000 times
It's possible.

Outside of Clark County is more possible (Woodland)

There are some bargains near and in small towns west of Longview along Columbia River.

There are a lot of resources for locating these types of properties. I typically don't use an agent, as they are slow and inefficient (but can be helpful if you don't have time to do it yourself).

2 - 4 hrs / week searching (online or driving) and a notification / rss feed of new listings will cover a lot of ground (once you verify your parameters.)

Rural or urban?
Interests / hobbies? (if hiking and photography I would head east to Carson / Home Valley or Lyle)
Proximity to city / airport / hospitals?
Fishing and hunting? (West Columbia River from Kalama to Astoria can be very good for waterfowl, deer, and elk. )
Beach / coastal access, same as above.

Old 01-26-2021, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
It's possible.

Outside of Clark County is more possible (Woodland)

There are some bargains near and in small towns west of Longview along Columbia River.

There are a lot of resources for locating these types of properties. I typically don't use an agent, as they are slow and inefficient (but can be helpful if you don't have time to do it yourself).

2 - 4 hrs / week searching (online or driving) and a notification / rss feed of new listings will cover a lot of ground (once you verify your parameters.)

Rural or urban?
Interests / hobbies? (if hiking and photography I would head east to Carson / Home Valley or Lyle)
Proximity to city / airport / hospitals?
Fishing and hunting? (West Columbia River from Kalama to Astoria can be very good for waterfowl, deer, and elk. )
Beach / coastal access, same as above.
Hi StealthRabbit,

Thank you for the reply and detailed info. I have only been to Portland (Tigard/Lake Oswego areas) before which was like April 2003 and May 2003 and I spent about 5 days each business trip. That is the extent of my OR exposure. Around the same time, spent 2 weeks in Seattle area.

I am thinking Vancouver mainly due to no state income tax but also, from all the posts on this forum, Vancouver area sounded less congested people and traffic wise.

If all goes well, I will be relocating alone from CA so, neither the OR state income tax nor WA sales tax holds a candle to what CA hits its residents with.

I don't have a job lined up but if I can find a place around 250K (cash purchase - no loans), I will have enough left to sustain me a while till I find a suitable job. I am looking for a place with a decent size garage (2-car garage would be great), so I can actually do some work to generate income too. Preferably no HOA or any other funky monthly fees, etc. Hopefully the place will not need any major work but I am handy and willing to repair most anything inside just as long as the infrastructure of the house, walls, roof and power/water lines are in good shape.

I have been working in the IT field for 20 years so I am hoping I will find a suitable position somewhere on the Vancouver side so I wouldn't have to commute over to OR on a daily basis.

Not sure what else to watch out for. Is the property tax of OR and WA comparable?

Other than what I mentioned in these two posts, I don't really have any must-haves or deal-breakers.

As I am not local, I will have to keep my searching online/remote. I am not familiar with the areas you mentioned but I will do some research to figure out.

A bit off topic but how is the scene for singles in their 40s-50s around Vancouver, or more luck in Portland side?

Again, I appreciate the input.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:04 AM

The locations I mentioned are inexpensive because they are further from Portland, and have few jobs. (Since you mentioned that you wfh and have lower housing budget).

With your stated needs, you will be better off near Portland or Vancouver. Either will do.

If you are okay being lonely, I have IT coworkers who found jobs in Longview.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:28 AM

Quote:
The locations I mentioned are inexpensive because they are further from Portland, and have few jobs. (Since you mentioned that you wfh and have lower housing budget).

With your stated needs, you will be better off near Portland or Vancouver. Either will do.

If you are okay being lonely, I have IT coworkers who found jobs in Longview.
Yes, my cash budget is pretty capped but I might be interested in going for a good match for up to $50K-$75K more and get a loan for the remainder. I rather didn't do that if at all possible.
I don't mind being in a smaller town just as long as I could find IT jobs within driving distance. Initially, I may try working from home to generate income while I am looking for employment which I do prefer for now.

Eventually though, when I retire, I'd still like to wfh whether it is IT or wrenching on motorcycles (restoration/customization).

I didn't realize Longview was just north of Vancouver. How long of a drive is it from Vancouver/Portland?
Also, what exactly did you mean by being alone? You mean lonely? I am never alone where I live now but never felt lonelier. I'd be OK with it as with a suitable home and backyard, I plan to get couple of K9 companions anyhow.

Unlike some, I am not choosing WA over OR to cheat the system. If I lived in WA, I'd be OK to pay for sales tax and not be driving over the bridge to save a few bucks every chance I get. Living in OR, I'd be OK with paying the state income tax but it does seem like a bigger headache to deal with and I do feel besides being more practical, total annual sales tax would be significantly less than income tax (maybe I am wrong?).

Are there any noticeable advantages to owning a house in Portland vs WA or any other details that might apply to someone like me that I might be overlooking?

Thank you again for your help!

Old 01-27-2021, 02:36 AM

Quote:
A bit off topic but how is the scene for singles in their 40s-50s around Vancouver, or more luck in Portland side?
This is very subjective as to what you want as a 'singles scene', thus Portland will have the ONLY options for some people's requirements. There are plenty of singles on both sides.... just the 'Scene' that is hard to pin down. If it is 'night clubs' / dancing venues Portland has plenty (and proably OK to drive to occasionally from even as far as Longview). If you want daily action, you best be near Portland and determine what your preferred 'Scene' is.

I have always preferred friendships first and foremost and pursuing hiking / traveling / hobby / sports interests, and plenty of that on both sides. Dating... I suspect online will have plenty of options either place.

You will be better off rural or a small town if you want a business such as making custom MC at home. Portland and Vancouver have very strict zoning and very nosey neighbors (Who may want to protect the quiet of their neighborhood from delivery trucks, customers and bikes.) I have (9) vintage MC and spend a lot of Covid 'Social distance' time out finding remote trails and roads. (As in 6+ hrs today (and yesterday too)

Longview is about 40 min from Vancouver and 60 min from Portland. And another 1 hr + to Astoria (Coast). 1hr+ to Olympia and 2hr+ to Seattle.

Kalama has some really nice areas for homes. I like Carrolls as a decent rural community near I-5.

Rents in either place are probably quite reasonable. (I would rent until you can find your niche spot).

If you are single and a mechanic type / you can likely find a barndominium for rent. (Shop with apartment).

You can build them quite cheap and fast.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:18 PM

I wanted to rep you but C-D said I had to share the love with others first! Odd, I don't even recall repping you in the recent past. The site has been poorly maintained the last several years because it is very glitchy. Anyhow, thank you for all this!

Quote:
This is very subjective as to what you want as a 'singles scene', thus Portland will have the ONLY options for some people's requirements. There are plenty of singles on both sides.... just the 'Scene' that is hard to pin down. If it is 'night clubs' / dancing venues Portland has plenty (and proably OK to drive to occasionally from even as far as Longview). If you want daily action, you best be near Portland and determine what your preferred 'Scene' is.

I have always preferred friendships first and foremost and pursuing hiking / traveling / hobby / sports interests, and plenty of that on both sides. Dating... I suspect online will have plenty of options either place.

I have (9) vintage MC and spend a lot of Covid 'Social distance' time out finding remote trails and roads. (As in 6+ hrs today (and yesterday too)
Yeah, you are right. I meant to meet someone to form a meaningful, long-term relationship (friendship then more intimate, etc.) and more. FWB days are long gone and was never my cup of tea anyhow.

I suppose it is possible to meet someone anywhere if you are outgoing and don't miss opportunities when they come up? As you mentioned though, I am hoping to find someone by means of an activity group based on common interests, motorcycling could definitely be one of them. And, much like you, I'd be very interested in discovering the trails and roads around. Other than that, I am not much social, not a churchgoer, not into bars or smoking anything. I am usually OK being alone doing stuff around the house or working on the bikes or working on some computer project. Still, I much rather be hanging out in the nature, hiking or doing something, preferably with good company. Every experience seems more meaningful and memorable when shared with someone.

Quote:
You will be better off rural or a small town if you want a business such as making custom MC at home. Portland and Vancouver have very strict zoning and very nosey neighbors (Who may want to protect the quiet of their neighborhood from delivery trucks, customers and bikes.)
Thanks for this. I suspected as much. I am not fond of nosey neighbors. I am OK if they are alert and notice things for the sake of keeping the neighborhood safe but when they start sticking their nose into others business and cause headaches for every little thing, it won't sit well with me.

Quote:
Longview is about 40 min from Vancouver and 60 min from Portland. And another 1 hr + to Astoria (Coast). 1hr+ to Olympia and 2hr+ to Seattle.

Kalama has some really nice areas for homes. I like Carrolls as a decent rural community near I-5.
They all are very attractive spots and I would be interested in. That said, due to my eventual need to find employment, at least until retirement, I wouldn't want to be too far from any good employment spots.
That is the only thing I am conflicted about otherwise, I would be OK living in any of those rural town where I will ultimately want to live in in retirement but I still have 15+ years until then.

Quote:
Rents in either place are probably quite reasonable. (I would rent until you can find your niche spot).

If you are single and a mechanic type / you can likely find a barndominium for rent. (Shop with apartment).

You can build them quite cheap and fast.
Rent is typically considered "money down the drain" but for certain situations and durations, it makes sense. I may actually end up doing that if I decided to relocate before actually closing on a house.
I still have a few things to sort out where I am before I can fully commit to it. I am guessing I will be ready anywhere from 3 months to 6 months.

Cheers!
TL

Old 01-28-2021, 12:04 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
TurcoLoco,

I'm a bit confused by your post. First you said you would be working from home. So, does that mean you have a job that let's you telecommute now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
At least initially (till I learn the area), I will be working from home so commute is not an issue.
Then, you said you don't have a job lined up yet. So, I'm not really understanding what you are actually trying to do?

Quote:

I don't have a job lined up but if I can find a place around 250K (cash purchase - no loans), I will have enough left to sustain me a while till I find a suitable job...

I have been working in the IT field for 20 years so I am hoping I will find a suitable position somewhere on the Vancouver side so I wouldn't have to commute over to OR on a daily basis.
What does a suitable job in IT look like? Can you be a bit more specific?

Having worked in IT for 20+ years myself, I have a sense about what may or may not work when planning a move like you're considering.

A couple of concerns (red flags) I have are:

1. Most IT jobs will be found nearer to Portland with some limited options on the WA side depending on 'specific skillsets,' timing and lots of luck or knowing someone.

2. Low budget for housing expecting to buy outright for ~ 250-300k. Those homes aren't anywhere near the majority of jobs you seek. Finding an IT job further out from the economic hubs will be a bigger challenge and real stretch of creative imagination. You may end driving a very long way every day instead.

Recommendations:

Plan A: Find a job that allows telecommuting *before* you move and bring the job with you. That works well for many especially during Covid when more and more companies are allowing this sort of flexibility like they never have before including ours.

Plan B: Plan to live closer in and completely adjust your housing expectations until you are earning more to afford to buy a home closer to your *new* (I've got the drive every day to work) job. I know people living in Vancouver and comminuting into Hillsboro (Silicon Forest area) working for Intel. It's easily 1-2 hours each way depending on time of departure. He leaves at 0-Dark-Thirty to beat some of the morning madness during gridlocked traffic. Yes, we get bad traffic here too!

You can't bank at all on moving to a small town and then maybe 'later' finding an IT job. The odds will not be in your favor since they are few and far between. There are locals who watch and wait for those as well. And the pay is typically lower due to the location and very limited supply.

Bottom line: Do not move without a solid plan which involves having a job of some kind lined up first. That's really common sense wherever you plan to move to including places in CA. That is unless you are wealthy or retired and not needing gainful employment. Then you can just roll on in and out wherever you want and take your chances. Maybe find work, maybe not? Nah, who cares? Wouldn't that be nice. lol

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-28-2021 at 12:29 AM..

Old 01-28-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
TurcoLoco,

I'm a bit confused by your post. First you said you would be working from home. So, does that mean you have a job that let's you telecommute now?

Then, you said you don't have a job lined up yet. So, I'm not really understanding what you are actually trying to do?

What does a suitable job in IT look like? Can you be a bit more specific?
I know, it is because I am still up in the air on certain things.
Depending on the feasibility of finding a suitable home in my "cash" budget dictates were I would settle, in a big way.

The fact that WA has no state income tax is very attractive and based on my lifestyle, my CA income tax has been significantly more than what I paid for sales tax. Mind you both percentages are higher than what people pay for sales tax in WA and the income tax in OR. Because of that, I am happy to be dodging one regardless of where I end up settling.

As of now, I don't have a job lined up. As you mentioned, due to pandemic, being a remote candidate and also having taken time off for almost 2 years, my chances are probably very slim at best. Better part of the 20 years, I have worked in the system and end user support side of the field. I have done this locally and remotely. The last few years prior to taking time off, I moved onto more advanced duties and also worked as a System Administrator. Specializing mostly in AD and Exchange administration but I do have experience with Sharepoint, IIS, SCCM, Citrix, Networking, Backups, automation, etc. A ton of system and software installation, troubleshooting, optimization experience.

I am pretty good with hardware too and if I do work from home, for myself, I would be doing Computer/Laptop diagnostics to repair/upgrade/install as needed. This is what I might be doing in my retirement to generate some extra pocket money but while I am looking to find a proper employment, it is something I could do from home as well.

If I had no mortgage payments and all I had to deal with is utilities and groceries, that might work out.
Of course I would have to establish myself and create my customer base which could take weeks or so.

My other interest/hobby/passion is motorcycles preferably riding them but I also enjoy wrenching on them and have done restoration and customization type work on a few bikes. I haven't taken apart engines but I do have some knowledge and experience though I much rather stick to quick repairs/part replacement and customization side which seems more fun and also profitable.

Also, I feel this is something I could do out of my garage without making people think I am running a mc service shop from my garage.

Quote:
Having worked in IT for 20+ years myself, I have a sense about what may or may not work when planning a move like you're considering.

A couple of concerns (red flags) I have are:

1. Most IT jobs will be found nearer to Portland with some limited options on the WA side depending on 'specific skillsets,' timing and lots of luck or knowing someone.

2. Low budget for housing expecting to buy outright for ~ 250-300k. Those homes aren't anywhere near the majority of jobs you seek. Finding an IT job further out from the economic hubs will be a bigger challenge and real stretch of creative imagination. You may end driving a very long way every day instead.
I sensed that would be the case as it applies to CA as well. Housing is cheaper in towns out in the boons but besides living a simpleton life, the jobs are way more limited and they typically pay less than similar ones in the big city. I guess it all boils down to the ratios, meaning, same job in the city pays 1/10 of that the comparable house in the city would cost vs the same job in the rural town paying 1/5 of what what a comparable house costs in that rural town. Not sure if that made any sense?

It all boils down to COL and how much I have left after paying all my fixed bills. This is one of the main reasons why people are leaving CA because fixed bills are way higher than most any other place so god forbid, you lose your job....you get the picture. Things are great when you have a solid and steady paycheck coming in but most people cannot afford to not have any income more than a month or two.

Quote:
Recommendations:

Plan A: Find a job that allows telecommuting *before* you move and bring the job with you. That works well for many especially during Covid when more and more companies are allowing this sort of flexibility like they never have before including ours.

Plan B: Plan to live closer in and completely adjust your housing expectations until you are earning more to afford to buy a home closer to your *new* (I've got the drive every day to work) job. I know people living in Vancouver and comminuting into Hillsboro (Silicon Forest area) working for Intel. It's easily 1-2 hours each way depending on time of departure. He leaves at 0-Dark-Thirty to beat some of the morning madness during gridlocked traffic. Yes, we get bad traffic here too!

You can't bank at all on moving to a small town and then maybe 'later' finding an IT job. The odds will not be in your favor since they are few and far between. There are locals who watch and wait for those as well. And the pay is typically lower due to the location and very limited supply.

Bottom line: Do not move without a solid plan which involves having a job of some kind lined up first. That's really common sense wherever you plan to move to including places in CA. That is unless you are wealthy or retired and not needing gainful employment. Then you can just roll on in and out wherever you want and take your chances. Maybe find work, maybe not? Nah, who cares? Wouldn't that be nice. lol

Derek
All logical recommendations but again, if I can eliminate the biggest monthly expense (mortgage) then what is left will not be too much of an issue for quite a while even if I had no income. I believe I could find a job in a matter of weeks. It may not be in the IT field but it would help me pay the small bills, you know?

I have a ton of great ideas but since I am running a very slow processor of a brain with limited RAM, it takes time to deliver an output. My OS might be corrupted too which is why I want to relocate so I can start with a fresh installation...

Thank you for your candid input!

Old 01-29-2021, 12:31 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:

All logical recommendations but again, if I can eliminate the biggest monthly expense (mortgage) then what is left will not be too much of an issue for quite a while even if I had no income. I believe I could find a job in a matter of weeks. It may not be in the IT field but it would help me pay the small bills, you know?

I have a ton of great ideas but since I am running a very slow processor of a brain with limited RAM, it takes time to deliver an output. My OS might be corrupted too which is why I want to relocate so I can start with a fresh installation...

Thank you for your candid input!
Haha, you had me going with that last one!! I needed a good laugh today. It's been a crazy week as we prepare for big release and the associate death march to get there.

You do have some good ideas and seem very resourceful. You might be surprised what you could find while preparing for your next big move. I've seen lots more jobs advertising remote options. That's what I'm doing and I know many others especially after the pandemic doing the same. Some companies have decided to sell their office space and allow their workers to continue remotely. They're also seeing the financial benefits of not paying for all of that commercial space.

BTW, we moved from CA for the same reasons as most are. Lots of folks scattering to the four winds looking for more reasonably priced living. If, by chance, you can keep your CA salary when moving, that can help as well.

Based upon your budget and goals, I would also seriously consider some of the nice, more affordable states like the Carolinas, Florida, etc... Just do a comparative analysis of the pros/cons - cost to value benefits. If you're determined to stay out west, consider more remote parts of CA, NV or even AZ. The trick will be finding a more affordable place with decent job prospects as well. Those places don't grow on trees. The PNW can be more of a challenge due to its popularity with folks moving in with deeper pockets. The prices have been rising steadily with no end in sight especially near the bigger cities. So, while I like your dream, I'm just not sure this would be the best place to fulfill it. Then again, maybe it would if planned properly.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-29-2021 at 12:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area