Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 12:28 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,294,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This is an honest question, but was there ever an expectation that Cyberpunk 2077 was going to revolutionize the world of open-world, first person (or third person) type videogames?
Revolutionize? No, but evolve, completely, otherwise you're just churning out the same thing year in year out. Would you be satisfied with GTA VI or Elder Scrolls VI being a retread of the previous, just with some upgraded graphics and maybe a variant of the usual scenarios.

Quote:
I ask that because I wasn't aware that CDPR was making Cyberpunk 2077 with such an intent.
We'll find out, whether they're one hit wonders able to adapt someone else's lore, or creative developers (Witcher was one story arc, across three games). Its an implicit expectation, we expect AAA developers to push the envelope, to give us things we've not experienced before, otherwise they might as well use UE4 and rip off every cyberpunk trope in the inventory.

Quote:
The appeal of Cyberpunk 2077 for many gamers like myself was simply because we enjoyed Witcher 3 so much, and eagerly wanted CDPR to make another videogame that would captivate us the same way.
I too enjoyed Witcher 3 (and 2 and 1), but I'm not seeing that CP2077 is the game that's going to recapture the magic.

Quote:
I didn't play Witcher 3 for a while, and only got it because it was on sale at the time. It took a little bit, but after playing for a while I was hooked. And I was hooked precisely because Witcher 3 had all the familiar elements of previous open-world action games I've come to love, the main quest, the side quests, the random character and mission encounters, discovering new areas of the map, so on. I was never into fantasy world type games which is why I overlooked Witcher 3 for so long, but again, once I realized that it had all the same elements of previous open-world games, it was only a matter of time before I became hooked.
Familiar but with a twist, and the side quests didn't result in bypassing the main questine. The twist was the hook, but we need another twist to make it fresh.

Quote:
I don't expect any innovation from Cyberpunk 2077 in terms of open world gameplay. I'm pretty sure most of the gaming mechanics and storyline we'll find in it has been done in many other such type of games. The crafting, the finding of new areas on the map, collecting items, main/side missions, random encounters, dealing with various factions, etc. This it he bread and butter of open world games. Perhaps there might be a few new ideas or expanding on familiar game designs, but I don't really expect anything radically different. I'm just hoping to experience the same magic I felt in Witcher 3 where the game and story really pulled you into the game.
Yep and I'm not seeing it, and I do expect innovation, this isn't Ascaron pushing out the same thing release after release with new skins a different story and some engine tweaks, this is CD Projekt Red, who is exactly the kind of company who should be innovating, how disappointing would it be to play ESVI and it be just an upgrade on Skyrim somewhere else in Tammie? Or GTA VI being GTA V in Miami (or an equivalently situated GTA named city). You can get away with that in annual release scheduled games like CoD, or AC/Farcry. You can't for games with 8 years of development cycle.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:16 PM

29,536 posts, read 22,813,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I don’t think CDPR is making the game with that intent in mind. It’s more a case of the public putting the company and any of its projects on a pedestal. This is the direct result of the success the Witcher 3 experienced. Prior to that, CDPR was rather niche, though Witcher 2 had already received a fair amount of praise when it came out.

CDPR is sort of like the underdog at this point. They’ve established themselves in a market accustomed to predatory practices that include, overpriced DLC, micro transactions and incomplete campaigns that many big companies (EA, Ubisoft, Activision) have been accused of supporting. CDPR has a good reputation with gamers as they offered a ton of goodies with the standard edition of Witcher 3 as well as multiple pieces of free content. How that will play out in the future remains to be seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Revolutionize? No, but evolve, completely, otherwise you're just churning out the same thing year in year out. Would you be satisfied with GTA VI or Elder Scrolls VI being a retread of the previous, just with some upgraded graphics and maybe a variant of the usual scenarios.

We'll find out, whether they're one hit wonders able to adapt someone else's lore, or creative developers (Witcher was one story arc, across three games). Its an implicit expectation, we expect AAA developers to push the envelope, to give us things we've not experienced before, otherwise they might as well use UE4 and rip off every cyberpunk trope in the inventory.

I too enjoyed Witcher 3 (and 2 and 1), but I'm not seeing that CP2077 is the game that's going to recapture the magic.

Familiar but with a twist, and the side quests didn't result in bypassing the main questine. The twist was the hook, but we need another twist to make it fresh.

Yep and I'm not seeing it, and I do expect innovation, this isn't Ascaron pushing out the same thing release after release with new skins a different story and some engine tweaks, this is CD Projekt Red, who is exactly the kind of company who should be innovating, how disappointing would it be to play ESVI and it be just an upgrade on Skyrim somewhere else in Tammie? Or GTA VI being GTA V in Miami (or an equivalently situated GTA named city). You can get away with that in annual release scheduled games like CoD, or AC/Farcry. You can't for games with 8 years of development cycle.
In my opinion, I don't really think there is any way for game developers to radically change how open-world type games are designed in the future. After all, open world games have pretty much followed the same game design mechanics since the GTA III. At this point, the only that is going to differentiate one open-world game from another is obviously the storyline and the setting.

What game developers can do is to tweak the design and offer something different in what is already there. Maybe change how players can customize their characters and weapons, or expand further to include more options, things like that.

From what I've read and seen about Cyberpunk 2077, I'm actually quite excited because they've expanded on the weapons and character customizations, and unlike games like GTA V, it looks like there is much more to do and interact with throughout the areas you are in. But the biggest thing I'm excited about is that this game seems to have a really fleshed out and meaningful consequence system where your choices can affect the outcome of the game. Even your actions on side missions can have the consequence where you cannot finish the main quest. So there seems to be tremendous replay value here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 06:14 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,523,195 times
Quote:
In my opinion, I don't really think there is any way for game developers to radically change how open-world type games are designed in the future. After all, open world games have pretty much followed the same game design mechanics since the GTA III. At this point, the only that is going to differentiate one open-world game from another is obviously the storyline and the setting.
Oh there are plenty of ways one can make an open world game. Open world isn’t really a genre, but rather a design philosophy You can have racing games with open worlds like Forza Horizon, action RPG’s like the Elder Scrolls or Witcher, action adventure like GTA and space sims like Elite or No Man’s Sky. The latter two are quite different from anything else mentioned on the list as they don’t even follow a traditional narrative. They’re true sandboxes, in the sense that you are free to pursue your path without having to worry about story progression.

Quote:
What game developers can do is to tweak the design and offer something different in what is already there. Maybe change how players can customize their characters and weapons, or expand further to include more options, things like that.
With the level of customization Cyberpunk is supposed to have, it appears that CDPR is following through with these options.

Quote:
From what I've read and seen about Cyberpunk 2077, I'm actually quite excited because they've expanded on the weapons and character customizations, and unlike games like GTA V, it looks like there is much more to do and interact with throughout the areas you are in. But the biggest thing I'm excited about is that this game seems to have a really fleshed out and meaningful consequence system where your choices can affect the outcome of the game. Even your actions on side missions can have the consequence where you cannot finish the main quest. So there seems to be tremendous replay value here.
It’s important to remember that GTA and Cyberpunk are two very different games in two different genres. GTA isn’t a role playing game. The level of interactivity is therefore bound to be greater in Cyberpunk as you will have more dialogue options revolving around choice. There are also going to be three different life paths you can choose that define your character’s backstory. On the other hand, don’t expect to have nearly as many vehicles as in GTA or even that level of variety.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:34 AM

14,737 posts, read 14,725,713 times
I’m pretty excited to find out this game (along with a lot of others) can be bought for the PS4 and still played on a PS5. It makes the decision whether to buy a new game right now that much easier.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Oh there are plenty of ways one can make an open world game. Open world isn’t really a genre, but rather a design philosophy You can have racing games with open worlds like Forza Horizon, action RPG’s like the Elder Scrolls or Witcher, action adventure like GTA and space sims like Elite or No Man’s Sky. The latter two are quite different from anything else mentioned on the list as they don’t even follow a traditional narrative. They’re true sandboxes, in the sense that you are free to pursue your path without having to worry about story progression.

With the level of customization Cyberpunk is supposed to have, it appears that CDPR is following through with these options.

It’s important to remember that GTA and Cyberpunk are two very different games in two different genres. GTA isn’t a role playing game. The level of interactivity is therefore bound to be greater in Cyberpunk as you will have more dialogue options revolving around choice. There are also going to be three different life paths you can choose that define your character’s backstory. On the other hand, don’t expect to have nearly as many vehicles as in GTA or even that level of variety.
I agree that open world games can involve many different genres. Sometimes though open world action/adventure games incorporate RPG elements like GTA San Andreas kinda sorta did with the CJ character.

But many open world RPG games seem very similar to each other particularly those that are like Assassin's Creed series. That's what I liked about Witcher 3, it seemed so different though it had similarities to other such types of games such as the main quest and other side stories and things to do. But it felt a lot less of fetch quests and other annoyingly pointless filler things and just felt more immersive storyline and characters. That's what's exciting me most about Cyberpunk 2077.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:14 AM

Surprise!

Not really...
https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/st...370176002?s=19

Old 10-27-2020, 11:41 AM

And, a few weeks from now, the game will be delayed to February 2020.

Whatever. At least Assassin's Creed Valhalla is releasing November 12, and that should keep me occupied for a bit.

Old 10-27-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
And, a few weeks from now, the game will be delayed to February 2020.

Whatever. At least Assassin's Creed Valhalla is releasing November 12, and that should keep me occupied for a bit.
Sure, twitter is a s**t-show with people complaining, some poor person asked CDPR yesterday on twitter if the release was going to happen as expected, as they were planning a week vacation for the release, yes, was the response. If you want a lesson in customer relations, CDPR isn't the people to look at for this release.

AC:Valhalla is Nov 10th all platforms. PS5 NA, Japan South Korea, and Australia/NZ release date is Nov 12th, Europe and RoW is a week later (yeah that's not wearing well in the week later regions).

Old 10-28-2020, 01:41 PM

17,402 posts, read 12,365,897 times
Feel sorry for the devs/testers who are surely working 16+ hr days.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Feel sorry for the devs/testers who are surely working 16+ hr days.
Oh yeah. Those dev staff who were very publicly told there would be no crunch, until about a month ago when they were placed on mandatory 6 day weeks. Yeah thats another thing CDPR are coming under fire for. Its two huge 180s in a month, they even posted on 6th October there would be no more delays.

Yeah CDPR are a dumpster fire at the moment, its amazing watching the good will evaporate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games