Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2020, 08:46 AM

29,536 posts, read 22,813,842 times

Advertisements

Major video game company receives death threats following delay announcement: 'We have important news to share'

Quote:
A Cyberpunk 2077 developer said that the team has been receiving death threats.

Cyberpunk 2077 is the most anticipated game of 2020, but between the delays (first to Sept. 17, then again to Nov. 19) and the allegations of labor abuse at CD Projekt Red, it has had a rocky development cycle.

CD Projekt Red has now announced a third delay, this time to Dec. 10, to the outrage of many fans.

Andrzej Zawadski, a senior game designer at CD Projekt Red, has tweeted that the Cyberpunk 2077 team has been receiving death threats from some of these angry gamers (thanks, Eurogamer).

It’s highly unusual for a game that’s already gone gold to announce yet another delay so close to release. Launching a game for 9 platforms is no easy feat, as CD Projekt Red said in its tweet. However, whatever problems the dev team is working out must be major if it requires such a sudden delay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 05:24 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,294,486 times
6 platforms, two of which are not currently scheduled (Series X/S and PS5). You can only reach 9 using BS, Microsoft and Sony both state that series S and PS5 digital should be developed for identically to series X and PS5 standard, if the game doesn't run on either S/X or digital/standard but does on the other, thats not a CDPR issue, its a MS or Sony issue.

Really its 4 PC, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia. Gen 9 was always a planned 2021 release time frame.

Plus I dunno about Sony, but certification on Xbox limits what developers can do to avoid a recertification, you have to release within a set time of certification, and with limited changes clearly outlining what is changed, the changes made, and why it was changed, they're gone through change by change, since you can't certify one game, then delay, delay, delay and effectively release an entirely different game to the certified version 6 months to a year later. Cert doesn't happen overnight either, and they'd need to schedule it amongst a tightly packed release calendar, because the certification pipelines are going to be running full at the moment, both at Xbox and PlayStation. Theres two console generations running SxS and thats going to fill those pipelines.

I think that CDPR are going to either scrape into their Dec window, with a Day 1 of immense proportion, and probably another patch in the next window or have to reset for a spring release.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:16 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,523,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
And, a few weeks from now, the game will be delayed to February 2020.

Whatever. At least Assassin's Creed Valhalla is releasing November 12, and that should keep me occupied for a bit.
That’s a possibility, but there’s also a good chance that it will come out in December. If you look at the three delays that took place this year, you’ll realise that each one is considerably shorter than the prior one.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:13 AM

14,737 posts, read 14,725,713 times
I really don’t see the big deal. This just points to it being a massive undertaking which should equate to a massive virtual experience. Unless you were planning a vacation around its release (something I don’t recommend), it shouldn’t matter.

Old 10-31-2020, 09:17 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,294,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I really don’t see the big deal. This just points to it being a massive undertaking which should equate to a massive virtual experience. Unless you were planning a vacation around its release (something I don’t recommend), it shouldn’t matter.
I'm right there with you. I was right there with you when CDPR reneged on their "no crunch" publicity.

The schedule is congested, there's a lot of games and 4 new consoles coming from now to EOY, no need to rush, and once you get to January, you've got typical consumer sag until end of March.

However I don't know CDPRs balance sheet, 8 years of development means that $100M at minimum is in this game and probably twice or more that minimum, investors get twitchy ( its the whole, if you owe a million to a lender you messed up, if you owe 100M to a lender, the lender messed up). 3 months might push VCs into liquidation mode (i.e. liquidating CDPRs assets).

Old 11-01-2020, 09:35 AM

21,948 posts, read 25,318,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Yup, just go play something else.

Sort of like your favorite hotel being booked so you have to stay somewhere else when you go to Hawaii. First world problems. Enjoy your vacation in Hawaii at the other hotel two blocks away.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:37 PM

29,536 posts, read 22,813,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
6 platforms, two of which are not currently scheduled (Series X/S and PS5). You can only reach 9 using BS, Microsoft and Sony both state that series S and PS5 digital should be developed for identically to series X and PS5 standard, if the game doesn't run on either S/X or digital/standard but does on the other, thats not a CDPR issue, its a MS or Sony issue.

Really its 4 PC, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia. Gen 9 was always a planned 2021 release time frame.

Plus I dunno about Sony, but certification on Xbox limits what developers can do to avoid a recertification, you have to release within a set time of certification, and with limited changes clearly outlining what is changed, the changes made, and why it was changed, they're gone through change by change, since you can't certify one game, then delay, delay, delay and effectively release an entirely different game to the certified version 6 months to a year later. Cert doesn't happen overnight either, and they'd need to schedule it amongst a tightly packed release calendar, because the certification pipelines are going to be running full at the moment, both at Xbox and PlayStation. Theres two console generations running SxS and thats going to fill those pipelines.

I think that CDPR are going to either scrape into their Dec window, with a Day 1 of immense proportion, and probably another patch in the next window or have to reset for a spring release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That’s a possibility, but there’s also a good chance that it will come out in December. If you look at the three delays that took place this year, you’ll realise that each one is considerably shorter than the prior one.
Yes it looks like it was an issue between current/next gen systems. Most likely delay until next year, they should just have announced it for next year instead of December. Now they'll look even more stupid when they have to backtrack and issue yet another another press release about a delay.

Cyberpunk 2077 Devs Didn't Know About The Delay Until The Day Of, Here's Why

Quote:
When the news broke, I spoke with several CD Projekt Red developers who confirmed they didn't know about the delay until they received an internal email shortly before the announcement went live on Twitter. When that knowledge became public, the online backlash was almost instantaneous, sparking criticism of the studio's internal communication practices and how messages are conveyed to the community. Since then, I've spoken to several more CD Projekt Red developers on both the Polish and U.S. sides; according to them, the news was shocking, but not for the reasons people are assuming.

According to three developers, the decision to delay was a swift one after looking at the quality differences between the current-gen and next-gen versions. CD Projekt Red has said that it wants the launch of Cyberpunk 2077 to be perfect, so any perceived flaws are addressed quickly. According to the team, the decision to delay was not even discussed until Monday (October 26), with a decision being reached on Tuesday (October 27). According to Polish labor laws, leadership was not legally allowed to tell the whole team, due to its size of over 1,000 employees, without each individual signing a non-disclosure agreement. To do so would be considered, in terms of relation to stock equity and insider trading, as "leaked insider information."

Old 11-06-2020, 08:50 AM

16,594 posts, read 19,811,990 times
Am I the only long time hardcore gamer that knows practically nothing about this series?!?
This is a sequel? The first one did very well?

LOL

Old 11-06-2020, 10:54 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,047,750 times
Tbh I'm not surprised they delayed it again for christmas since that's the time of the year where the money is. I read somewhere a while back that 2/3 of all video games sales happen around Christmas. November is a silly period to release.

Old 11-07-2020, 01:03 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,523,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Am I the only long time hardcore gamer that knows practically nothing about this series?!?
This is a sequel? The first one did very well?
No, it’s not a sequel, at least not in the traditional sense. Basically, CDPR is making a video game based off the Cyberpunk table top role playing game, of which there are several incarnations. Cyberpunk 2077 does take place after the original series, though I believe it to be a standalone, with certain characters making appearances.
If you’re familiar with the Witcher games, then it follows a similar format. Both take place after their respective source material (lorewise).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games