Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:56 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,651 times

Advertisements

@OP........Why don't you travel on down to Lynchburg, Roanoke, or Bristol and let them know that their now Northeastern.........See how well that goes over.

10 or 11 counties in the northern portion of the state that is replete with transplants doesn't alter the entire states cultural and geographic identity.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:58 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
@OP........Why don't you travel on down to Lynchburg, Roanoke, or Bristol and let them know that their now Northeastern.........See how well that goes over.

10 or 11 counties in the northern portion of the state that is replete with transplants doesn't alter the entire states cultural and geographic identity.
It's a good thing! Don't you want people to draw a connection between Virginia and all of the positive things associated with the Northeast?

Old 08-22-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's a good thing! Don't you want people to draw a connection between Virginia and all of the positive things associated with the Northeast?
I think the Northeast is a great place...I really do...My sister moved from VA to Brooklyn about 9 years ago and I love visiting her there. I just think that it's a HUGE stretch to call VA the Northeast in any capacity. NOVA/DC definitely feel Northeastern IMO, but it's very evident that the NOVA/DC area is a world apart culturally and socioeconomically from the rest of Virginia.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:10 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I think the Northeast is a great place...I really do...My sister moved from VA to Brooklyn about 9 years ago and I love visiting her there. I just think that it's a HUGE stretch to call VA the Northeast in any capacity. NOVA/DC definitely feel Northeastern IMO, but it's very evident that the NOVA/DC area is a world apart culturally and socioeconomically from the rest of Virginia.
So basically, you don't want this...

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2013...b0e-s6-c30.jpg

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Co...otoblog600.jpg

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/...es/AudiRS5.jpg

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/u...-Marriage1.jpg

http://www.schoolimprovement.com/doc...rivatekids.jpg

Northeast Life!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:50 AM

I'm ok with Gay Marriage and Audi's. I'm not a fan of Obama voters or the Democratic Party. Whole Foods is great, IMO...The CEO is one of the most well documented Libertarians in the country. What I don't like are the blue voters and property taxes. So...it's a wash I guess.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:59 AM

803 posts, read 1,667,513 times
Historically southern, though more of a transition zone in modern times.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:09 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,227,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
There is a map with the states shaded in. It doesn't get much more official than that.
You're kidding, right?

That map was made by Roke Grayshi. Who's that? Some person who puts things on Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons.

As the map caption states, the darkest red states are counted as Northeastern by the US Census Bureau. Virginia is not shaded dark red in the map.

The lighter-red shaded states (Virginia among them) are, as the caption states, "included in some other regional definitions." Which other regional definitions? Author does not state. The claim is also tagged 'dubius'. One of the comments in the discussion points out, "Not even the article claims Virginia is part of the Northeast. It seems that whoever made the map took liberties in applying his own idiosyncratic views." Follow some links, and one finds it's the US Fish & Wildlife Service that includes Virginia in the Northeast, which someone else here already addressed why.

As for NOVA being "whitebread" in contrast to ROVA - excuse me, but what's been the dominant majority culture of Virginia from its founding? You know that downstate Virginia is serving Wonder Bread, jello salads (lime with carrots! orange with mandarin oranges!), mayonnaise, mac and cheese, and all those other "whitebread culture" items. Yes, NOVA is each year more and more different from traditional Virginia, but it's not due to that characteristic. I think ASOT sums things up succinctly.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:26 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Eh. Woke up the past few mornings to everything looking the same and feeling the same here in Fairfax County. Called my brother in Mecklenburg County and he says the same. Northeast, South...call it what you will. Day to day it doesn't really matter much in my mind.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:49 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,916 times
Geographically speaking its mid-atlantic.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:01 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
FYI, the U.S. Department of Energy still considers Virginia (as well as DC, Maryland, and Delaware) as part of the southern United States as far as heating and cooling standards go. The recent 90% AFUE minimum furnace mandate does not include VA/MD/DE/DC, and the 14 SEER minimum air conditioning standards that go into effect in 2015 will include these states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia