Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 07:59 PM

5 posts, read 20,454 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother of two,10 & 13, wanting to move from Upstate NY to VA by the end of the summer. What are the best places for affordable housing? How are the social services programs?

Old 06-19-2007, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 83,821 times
Default Moving to DC area

hELLO.
I go a job in Rockville,MD. Moving to DC area in mid August. I like living in Northern Viginia(i live in hampton roads now). What's a good place to live in Northern Virginia not far from the metro(I am planning to utilize the metro to work. the metro is just a walk from my work place..white flint metro).
Is that good to rent or buy a home in N.Va area?
what ;s other alternative for Rockville?
thanks

Old 06-19-2007, 10:07 AM

261 posts, read 1,668,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezbaw View Post
hELLO.
I go a job in Rockville,MD. Moving to DC area in mid August. I like living in Northern Viginia(i live in hampton roads now). What's a good place to live in Northern Virginia not far from the metro(I am planning to utilize the metro to work. the metro is just a walk from my work place..white flint metro).
Is that good to rent or buy a home in N.Va area?
what ;s other alternative for Rockville?
thanks
What's your housing budget? Do you have kids? Do you like relatively urban or relatively suburban lifestyle?

Be advised that a commute from the Vienna Metro (furthest metro out in NoVA) to White Flint Metro will run about an hour and cost about $4 each way.

You may want to put this in a new topic in the Northern VA subtopic or the Washington DC topic.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:41 AM

6 posts, read 83,821 times
JB124
thanks for the reply. When it comes to cost of the metro, the company pays as far as i use any kind of public transportation. My housing budge may be high 200K. How is the housing market in DC area. I am looking to buy a condo ( 2 bd, 2 b) rent one of the bedroom. i am single in 30s with ni kid/s. I been living a suburban life for a while. looking to live in urban area.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezbaw View Post
JB124
thanks for the reply. When it comes to cost of the metro, the company pays as far as i use any kind of public transportation. My housing budge may be high 200K. How is the housing market in DC area. I am looking to buy a condo ( 2 bd, 2 b) rent one of the bedroom. i am single in 30s with ni kid/s. I been living a suburban life for a while. looking to live in urban area.
With that range you're likely looking at the middle/outer suburbs and will have to commute to the Metro.

A 2BR/BA condo in an urban setting will run over 450k.

You might be able to find a 1 BR condo within walking distance of a Metro for 275-325k if that's an option.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 18,796 times
Question trying to learn from afar

hi there. im not sure if this is the right place to place this Q. so bare with me..my family and i are looking to relocate and my husband is familiar w va but i am not. we have 4 children all under 11 youngest being 19 mnths. we need a family freindly atmostphere with of course good schools even private. want a small town no larger than 25000 pop. low crime and beautiful to look at with possible a lake near by. hopefully not to high cost of living. you know the "perfect leave it to beaver neighborhood"....who isnt looking for this.
we are looking at Bluefield, charlottesville, waynesboro. (i know that some may be over 25000). a good peaceful town is very important. willing to live outside of a town as long as the town we are outside of has everything needed. ie at least a wal-mart super center. min pop of 10000. hope that is enough of a descript for you to help us.
oh one more thing nothing near the coast...my husband has a hard time w humidity.
thank you,

Old 06-21-2007, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 12,045 times
Default Looking for a good safe neighborhood close to Oceana

Hello,

My husband and I are moving out to Virginia from the west coast. He will be working close to the Oceana base, so we are looking for a two bedroom apartment close by. It is very important to us to be in a safe neighborhood. We are looking for a small town feel, but we are not fans of commuting at all. We will be moving in early September. Where would you suggest us to move where it's safe enough to go for long walks, run. Parks nearby etc. We are planning on starting a family in the next tow years, but no concerns for schools just yet. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:57 PM

5 posts, read 54,540 times
I noticed a lot of people put 500k and below when looking for a single family home in northern va dc area. This will get you absolutely nothing. The cost of living is OC(out of control). Beautiful area in Va though. I love it...

Old 06-25-2007, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 12,010 times
I might be moving to nothern va for a teaching job near manassas. wanted to know a nice area to live as well as a fairly decent commute to work(not over 45 min if possible) What is there to do near this area besides dc/balimore? How are people? Any nightlife? Singles? easy to meet people?

Old 06-26-2007, 07:47 AM

You should start a new topic in the Northern Virginia sub-forum Mattie, and like the first post says, please give us as much information as possible in order for us to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia